I Increased My Riding Season From 2 Months To 7 Months | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Increased My Riding Season From 2 Months To 7 Months

Pegassus

Site Supporter
I used to have a policy of not riding my bike unless it was sunny and above 25 C. That gave me only a 2-month riding season. From mid-June to end of August. That is ridiculous considering that I pay insurance full year for my 750cc motorcycle ($700 dollars). Anyways I have not ridden my bike in cold days like the last ones but it was sunny today so I just put on my winter jacket and bought a pair of leather gloves and off I went. It was only like 10 C this morning. It wasn't bad at all, I noticed that the cold wind hitting against me actually felt warm after a while and my body was immune to the cold.

If I buy heavy pants and socks and maybe boots I can increase my riding season by 3x times. I can ride now from April to 1st November. I know for a fact that today riding at 10C I can withstand temps as low as 0C as long as its sunny. It can't be colder than 0 C from April to 1st of November. I can also ride in December as long as its not cloudy and no snow on the ground.

I think I'm going to enjoy my bike a whole lot more this year. What is you guys' riding season? From what day to what day? What are your limits?

Hmm. I thought everybody knew that dressing in warmer clothing meant you were warmer as a result.

But anyways, I ride all year around down to about 7-8c, based solely on road conditions. I've ridden at least once a month since coming back to riding in 2015. 10c day in January? I'm out there.

My season starts about mid March if it's a late start and goes till about the end of Dec if there's not snow on the road. Heated gear is great. Ride till about -10C, occasionally -15. When I was downtown, I was only off the road when the snow was covering the roads.

April to December.

Especially now that i replaced my old jacket that was falling apart all i need now are warm gloves :) and/or handguard

I gotta remember to pack a scarf lol. This past week riding to work at 5am was just cold on the neck.

Warm clothes for cold weather? Such a brilliant revelation! Thanks for sharing, Peggy.

January 1 - December 31, as long as the roads are free of snow and ice.

Last edited:
P1290006_zpsrybfllyp.jpg

I generally ride from april to oct. If there's the odd warm day in february I might take the bike out for a quick ride around the neighborhood to shake off the cobwebs but I'll only do long rides apr-oct. Even if you wear a warm jacket and gloves, it's still unpleasant to have cold air hitting your face. Also tires have less grip on cold pavement. The hotter the weather, the more I like it. As far as I'm concerned it can't be too hot to ride (unless you ride in stop and go traffic). There's nothing like wearing a light mesh jacket and speeding down a country road in 30+ weather.

Will this translate to other sports? I was going to walk my dog this morning but my flip flops made my toes cold.

Holy mackerel! This invention of dressing for the weather, could very well revolutionize motorcycle riding forever! Might want to look into patents to protect your intellectual rights.

10C is my limit, but I ride a naked. People seem to forget your tires traction goes to absolute **** driving in anything 5C or less regardless of road conditions

10C is my limit, but I ride a naked. People seem to forget your tires traction goes to absolute **** driving in anything 5C or less regardless of road conditions
I have a similar rule, although it is because I ride naked.
Holy mackerel! This invention of dressing for the weather, could very well revolutionize motorcycle riding forever! Might want to look into patents to protect your intellectual rights.
#SharlTankThatShit lol
Will this translate to other sports? I was going to walk my dog this morning but my flip flops made my toes cold.
Lolz
Warm clothes for cold weather? Such a brilliant revelation! Thanks for sharing, Peggy.

January 1 - December 31, as long as the roads are free of snow and ice.
Just doing the math.....carry the one......does that work out to all year??
I gotta remember to pack a scarf lol. This past week riding to work at 5am was just cold on the neck.
I would recommend a neck warmer or a "dickie" over the scarf. They fit quite well under the jacket, not too bulky and still allow for proper head movements. When I used to ride to work at 5 am starting in Mar/ April, it was an absolute must.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Generally -10 is my limit so from Mar - Dec.

I genuinely don't know how this was some kind of revelation for you. Though this next bit of information may blow your mind: if you find it hot, take off the parka and see what happens.

People seem to forget your tires traction goes to absolute **** driving in anything 5C or less regardless of road conditions

I don't forget about it - to the contrary I'm keenly aware of it. But it's totally manageable - it's hardly like a cold motorcycle tire has zero traction, it just has reduced traction.

If you want to know when the season starts ask the instructors, they're out training before the courses start.

I don't forget about it - to the contrary I'm keenly aware of it. But it's totally manageable - it's hardly like a cold motorcycle tire has zero traction, it just has reduced traction.

+1 Ride withing the limits. I don't go canyon carving in -10C.

so you dressing warmer allows u not to be cold ???? fake news

Gotta give Peggy kudos...he has no shame

Hmm. I thought everybody knew that dressing in warmer clothing meant you were warmer as a result. :D

But anyways, I ride all year around down to about 7-8c, based solely on road conditions. I've ridden at least once a month since coming back to riding in 2015. 10c day in January? I'm out there.

big screen and heated grips can extend the season until first snowfall OP
with the newfound wonder of warm clothing, it's possible to ride from March to December

Back
Top Bottom