Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator - FZ6R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator - FZ6R

sicksix

Purchased a competition werkes fender eliminator for my 2013 Yamaha Fz6r. Dealings with the company were great, after purchase questions were answered immediately. Used FedEx ground and product had arrived about a week later after order, which was great. I decided to make the switch over a DIY. I'm mechanically inclined to a point and the instructions were fair. It arrived with aftermarket led signals as well, including a license plate light. The wiring instructions were absolutely not present, aside from a two picture diagram of what a nuetral and what a ground wire "may" look like on a generic motorcycle. Which was not what mine looked like at all. I decided to use the aftermarket lights and keep my old intact with the original FE, for possible resale. After some trial and error, luckily two on two wiring, I figured it out, the aftermarket light wiring are reversible so any connection would suffice. Also came with T connectors which were a little bulky but did the job. The license plate illumination light im not very impressed with, low lumens and just stuck on with double sided tape!?!?
So this is where the story begins and ends. I'm super excited to have my sleek looking new rear end, getting rid of my mermaid tail on the back of my bike! It was a rainy day the day of install so I decided to take her out the next day/night. So I start her up around 9pm the next evening, check it out and everything is working as it should. Head out the driveway, and begin a ride. I live in the northern end of the city, and I'm heading along Wilson ave, the sun is down, the moon is out, weather is great, a crack in the road appears... nothing to worry about by any means. I ride across it, feel a little up and down.... and hear a bing bang boom !!!!!! I'm like wtf just happened!! Pull over get off and I bottomed out and my tire hit the FE, totally obliterating it and cracking my undertail fairing!!!!! Literally an hour after owning this $225 piece of steel, its totalled and so is my fairing. I was absolutely livid. My negligence in having any common sense never thought, hey why in hell would they design this so it sits a few inches above the middle of my tire, where any suspension moition will clearly hit the tire, luckily not slicing into it, and bending the FE into half. My review is position based, it's a quality made product with some design flaws, but not enough to gripe about. But why in the hell would they design it to sit right in the middle of my rear end to seat, only a few inches above a tire! My suspension is maxed out, and I'm rated in weight for the recommended setting! Imagine if I had a passsenger! Anyway ! Word of advice, don't get this fender eliminator unless you weigh 100lbs and any bump in the road won't even make your suspension budge. I've now ordered a r&g tail tidy, which sits directly under my rear tail light, giving clearance to any bottoming out..... I hope!

Had you never seen a fender eliminator before you became enamoured?

Back
Top Bottom