In the market for a new bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In the market for a new bike

I ride an FJ09 at 5 foot 8 with the seat in highest position and can have one foot flat other on the ball. Never been an isue. The fuel mapping is bang on in standard mode. The issues reported on the FZ are not in this bike. Fuel range is 300 km. The triple is a great engine. Torque exerywhwre and can wind it out like an I4 if you want. Not positive but think the XSR is closer to the FJ than the FZ in manners.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

The only good paint scheme. I wish they made that configuration (especially the tank design) in other colours. All other ones look kind of bland.

For a retro themed vehicle - not one single analog gauge?

... And if Yamaha could enlarge the FZ-09/XSR900 fuel tank by a couple of litres, that would do wonders. So many good bikes suffer because of inadequate range.
I'm completely with you on range. Any bike I own I want a 250-300 km range minimum. Prefer 350-400 range but that's harder on bikes bigger than 650 cc. Love the range on the Strom 650, versys and klr.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

But then you miss out on all of the 'splash and dash' fuel stops...and the looks on the cagers' faces as they pump $100 worth of gas while you ride off into the sunset .

Personally I would opt for the Z900 if I were in your shoes. I am also 5'8" and could flat foot that bike and it still had a comfortable peg to seat ratio and a nice upright seating position. Heck, I may decide that luggage space and touring range aren't a priority any more and buy the Z900 so don't go scooping up a good deal on one just in case I want to! ;)

Honestly, if you're looking at a T120 (easily the most comfortable of the bikes you listed but the least sporty) at $13,200 for an all black one, and the Thurxton R is your "dream bike" you might as well pony up the extra $$ and get what you want. There's $3k difference between a base T120 and a Thruxton R and only $1,800 between the base T120 and the standard Thruxton. Sell your comic book collection, take your empties back and get your dream bike. If it were $5000+ difference I'd say don't bother, but if you're this close you might as well not settle.

If it has to be one of the bikes you listed and you're sticking to your budget then my vote is for the XSR900. It's tall, but it is a fantastic bike! Just remember to plan for a few extra fuel stops. It only has a 14L tank and a hooligan's attitude, you're not going to have a massive range!

Hey all,

Sorry I went MIA for a while. I went to a few dealers/stores over the past 2 weeks and sat on a few bikes. I've also been looking for insurance quotes, which seem to be roughly the same for all of the bikes I quoted for.

- The XSR, as much as I love the look and feel, is just way too tall for me. So much so that i'd have to get off the bike to roll it backwards because it's hard to do so on tippy toes.

- The FZ09 both felt better than the XSR, but I'm just a fan of the look. The folks at the dealership also advised against the Yamaha triple motor because I mentioned I preferred smooth, controlled acceleration.

- Also sat on a GSX-s750. It felt extremely heavy and "bulky". The price was attractive - sub $10k for brand new with ABS! It's a good deal for sure.

- Then i sat on a used 2015 Street Triple at GP Bikes! It felt so light! I could flat feet it no problem. Riding position is fairly upright (which is what I want) and just super sexy.

So I've reduced my search down to a Street Triple and found two on Kijiji which look clean. I have yet to see them in person but wondering if I can get some input/feedback on the following. Anything specific I should look for mechanically? I don't have a "mechanic friend" to bring with me.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/city-of-toronto/2014-triumph-street-triple-r/1303344483

and

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/mississauga-peel-region/triumph-street-triple-rx-675-abs-beautiful-almost-new-w-extras/1275265406

Thanks!

Remember that the amount of gas in the tank will affect the way it feels from a lightness/bulkiness perspective. The Street Triple may have been near empty while the GSX near full.

Hey all,

Sorry I went MIA for a while. I went to a few dealers/stores over the past 2 weeks and sat on a few bikes. I've also been looking for insurance quotes, which seem to be roughly the same for all of the bikes I quoted for.

- The XSR, as much as I love the look and feel, is just way too tall for me. So much so that i'd have to get off the bike to roll it backwards because it's hard to do so on tippy toes.

- The FZ09 both felt better than the XSR, but I'm just a fan of the look. The folks at the dealership also advised against the Yamaha triple motor because I mentioned I preferred smooth, controlled acceleration.

- Also sat on a GSX-s750. It felt extremely heavy and "bulky". The price was attractive - sub $10k for brand new with ABS! It's a good deal for sure.

- Then i sat on a used 2015 Street Triple at GP Bikes! It felt so light! I could flat feet it no problem. Riding position is fairly upright (which is what I want) and just super sexy.

So I've reduced my search down to a Street Triple and found two on Kijiji which look clean. I have yet to see them in person but wondering if I can get some input/feedback on the following. Anything specific I should look for mechanically? I don't have a "mechanic friend" to bring with me.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/city-of-toronto/2014-triumph-street-triple-r/1303344483

and

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/mississauga-peel-region/triumph-street-triple-rx-675-abs-beautiful-almost-new-w-extras/1275265406

Thanks!

RX is the loaded version, for $800 more I'd opt for it. Especially if he's throwing in the jacket and stands.

Love the Street Triple, I'll be upgrading to one after another season on the R3..or maybe two. See how insurance is doing.

How much were the insurance quotes btw?

RX is the loaded version, for $800 more I'd opt for it. Especially if he's throwing in the jacket and stands.

Love the Street Triple, I'll be upgrading to one after another season on the R3..or maybe two. See how insurance is doing.

How much were the insurance quotes btw?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm leaning towards the RX as well, but the drive to Brampton is a pain as I'm in East Toronto. It's also 1 year younger.
I'm checking out the 2014 R tonight after work (hopefully), and the RX on the weekend (again, hopefully).

Insurance quotes for all of the bikes I listed were roughly the same at $120/mth with full coverage (theft, etc). Basic coverage was $84-89/mth.

I guess I should go "cash in hand" so I can test ride the bikes?
I let the guy I sold my bike to test ride it, but the guy I bought it from would not let me...even with cash in hand.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm leaning towards the RX as well, but the drive to Brampton is a pain as I'm in East Toronto. It's also 1 year younger.
I'm checking out the 2014 R tonight after work (hopefully), and the RX on the weekend (again, hopefully).

Insurance quotes for all of the bikes I listed were roughly the same at $120/mth with full coverage (theft, etc). Basic coverage was $84-89/mth.

I guess I should go "cash in hand" so I can test ride the bikes?
I let the guy I sold my bike to test ride it, but the guy I bought it from would not let me...even with cash in hand.

Cash in hand is smart.

If I couldn't test it even with cash in hand then I would walk. Maybe id ask about bringing it to an indepedent mechanic for the one over...but if the seller still balked I'd bounce.

I wonder how much of a difference is there between the 675 and the 765 engine....

Love my XSR, can't say enough good things about it.

Comfortable, gobs of power, looks fantastic, cheap insurance (less than the R3 I had before it).

Last edited:
Hey guys. Checked out the 2014 STriple today. It was in like-new shape with the exception of missing chain guard cover which seller says snapped off due to bag straps that got caught while riding. Bike has under 2000km on it.

No scratches, dings or dents. I looked at almost all visible bolts for wear and all looked new and original. Battery is new as original apparently would not hold charge.

The bike rode well, all gears were smooth with no misses. No scratches on forks and tires have lots of tread left.

I could not get up to speed as rain and traffic did no allow me to.

I did hear a very faint ticking when warm engine, but after some research it seems it's common and normal on the street triples.

I'll be checking out the RX tomorrow, but really loved the R. Also like the fact that it's the original owner.

The RX has 2 owners with less than 3k on the bike, which concerns me a tad.

Sent from my Le X820 using Tapatalk

i believe theres a guy on these boards freakkyguy (spelling?) that has a bit of a mobile setup for working/looking over bikes. You may want to reach out to him before you purchase anything if youre not taking it to your own mechanic for the the 1 over.

Cant put a price on piece of mind.

Hey guys. Checked out the 2014 STriple today. It was in like-new shape with the exception of missing chain guard cover which seller says snapped off due to bag straps that got caught while riding. Bike has under 2000km on it.

No scratches, dings or dents. I looked at almost all visible bolts for wear and all looked new and original. Battery is new as original apparently would not hold charge.

The bike rode well, all gears were smooth with no misses. No scratches on forks and tires have lots of tread left.

I could not get up to speed as rain and traffic did no allow me to.

I did hear a very faint ticking when warm engine, but after some research it seems it's common and normal on the street triples.

I'll be checking out the RX tomorrow, but really loved the R. Also like the fact that it's the original owner.

The RX has 2 owners with less than 3k on the bike, which concerns me a tad.

Sent from my Le X820 using Tapatalk

the faint ticking would have me suspicious, i'v experienced it before and its definitely something. Easy enough to dismiss it, only to have it turn into a bigger problem later on.

With some engines, it's just the way they are. Moto Guzzi's all having ticking sounds. If it's normal for the engine I wouldn't personally worry about it.

With some engines, it's just the way they are. Moto Guzzi's all having ticking sounds. If it's normal for the engine I wouldn't personally worry about it.

I would still have it checked out, could be a wiring issue

Check first, ask questions later

Back
Top Bottom