In the market for a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

In the market for a new bike

stangn99

I'm in the market for a new bike and looking for something with a more comfortable riding position. My dream bike is a thruxton r, but I really can't justify spending $15k+ on a bike.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following, but not really sure if these bikes will be suitable for me (5'8, 160lbs).

1. XSR 900 (or xsr700 if it was available in NA - is the 900 too much bike?).
2. 2013+ street triple
3. Triumph T120
4. ??

I think the most practical of the three is the T120 and still enough grunt to keep things exciting, but I absolutely love the looks of the XSR and Street Triple.

Is there anything else I think consider? I'm also wondering if the XSR and Street Triple are too tall for someone my height.

My previous bike was a zx6R which I was able to almost completely flat fleet. Before that I had an old CBR F3 which I was able to flat fleet comfortably.

I suppose what matters is
1. What do you plan to do with it

2. What you like in an bike.

Im not the biggest fan of the xsr/fz
Its too jumpy/wild for my tastes

I like bikes that are powerful but smooth, controllable and confidence inspiring

Havent ridden the street trip, so cant comment

The thruxton/t120 though, are ****ing gorgeous....

I believe the t120 comes standard with heated grips?

You can read all the reviews you like

End of the day narrow it down...best way is to test ride the bike and all of its competitors, its how i learned that even though the fz is a great bike(tons of hype)....i dont really like it, its not for me, i rode some of its direct competitors and liked them a lot more

if you let the dealer know your serious about buying in the near future, or If you show up with the cash, im sure you can find someone who will let you test ride
Some might ask you to sign a waiver and bring a credit card(GP bikes)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
have you ridden the Yamaha?

not sure how you like to ride but that triple is fantastic

usable torque everywhere in the RPM range

and you can wring it out like an I4

if you like the styling of the XSR, how about a Ducati Scrambler?

Last edited:
What about a used, air cooled Thruxton?

via Tapatalk

I'm 5'7", same weight and when I sat on an XSR900 at the bike show it way too tall.

Im not the biggest fan of the xsr/fz
Its too jumpy/wild for my tastes
The xsr =/= the fz

just like the fj =/= fz either

I'd suggest he gives it a whirl first and then making a decision from the ride(s)... i personally loved the xsr and the fj (havent been on the fz) and it wasnt "too much" for me coming from a 500.

That being said id choose the street triple over the xsr if i had the option

I've never flat footed any of my big bikes. I can get the balls of my feet down, so that's enough.

The xsr =/= the fz

just like the fj =/= fz either

I'd suggest he gives it a whirl first and then making a decision from the ride(s)... i personally loved the xsr and the fj (havent been on the fz) and it wasnt "too much" for me coming from a 500.

That being said id choose the street triple over the xsr if i had the option
Same engine.

I never rode in B or standard mode, only A mode.

But it was too jumpy for me, great bike, just not for me

My suggestion.

Since your budget is limited.

2016-Yamaha-XSR900-Studio-1.jpg

I really like the look of the XSR9, especially in that paint scheme.

The only good paint scheme. I wish they made that configuration (especially the tank design) in other colours. All other ones look kind of bland.

For a retro themed vehicle - not one single analog gauge?

... And if Yamaha could enlarge the FZ-09/XSR900 fuel tank by a couple of litres, that would do wonders. So many good bikes suffer because of inadequate range.

Last edited:
Same engine.

I never rode in B or standard mode, only A mode.

But it was too jumpy for me, great bike, just not for me

Yeah a lot of reviewers agree with you (and id probably agree with you if i rode the fz) but they also agreed that the tuning gear/ratios on the fj and xsr is different. but riding the xsr and fj i didnt find it jerky at all. :)

It's a damn motorcycle. It will never get car fuel ranges.
I've had bikes that struggle to reach 100km on a tank and it never bothered me. The less fuel I have on board the lighter she is.

It's a damn motorcycle. It will never get car fuel ranges.
I've had bikes that struggle to reach 100km on a tank and it never bothered me. The less fuel I have on board the lighter she is.

Average car range is 500-700km. No one is asking for that but having to find a gas station after only 180km is painful and totally unnecessary for a vehicle that is not designed for a race track. It's a common complaint regarding FZ-09 and XSR900, read some reviews.
I can't even imagine riding a bike that struggles to make 100km unless it's an offroading bike.

BTW, You can put even less gas in your motorcycles if you want; no need to fill up all the way to the top. Why not only a litre? That way it will be super light and you can stop every 15 minutes or so, just the way you like it. Who says riding a motorcycle is about riding? It's clearly about filling it up.

The only good paint scheme. I wish they made that configuration (especially the tank design) in other colours. All other ones look kind of bland.

For a retro themed vehicle - not one single analog gauge?

... And if Yamaha could enlarge the FZ-09/XSR900 fuel tank by a couple of litres, that would do wonders. So many good bikes suffer because of inadequate range.

It's a 14 litre tank! You can easily travel 200km on that. How is that inadequate range?....I guess maybe if you don't see a gas station for 200km and never require a break to stretch your legs.

Haha 180-200km that sounds more than okay to me. If I ride my ktm 625smc hard enough I'll hit reserve before 100km lol

The Kawasaki Z900 might be another option. Test rode one this summer and I really enjoyed it. Was riding a 07 GSXR600 at the time, and I would have happily made the trade for the Z900. The Street Triples are nice, but the new 765cc ones are pretty pricey and aren't quite the value bike they used to be when they first came out.

Back
Top Bottom