Continue......or pack it in? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Continue......or pack it in?

I am over 50 and still ride my sport bike like I stole it.
OP, it depends on your abilities. If you do not feel safe on that bike I suggest going to a 600, or smaller. SV650 would be a great smaller sport bike to learn a lot of skills before going up to a 750 for your first bike.

If you think you have the skills, go for it. All you need is regrets on your death bed.
Bikes are so damn cool.

You only live once. If you like it do it. You could die in your sleep.
I was hit by a car doing a u-turn. Wrote off my brand new( 7 days/400 Kms) HD Road Glide. Went to the shop and ordered another one the next day (against my wife's wishes). It all depends on your outlook on life. Good luck with your decision either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's not get into a battle over statistics.

There is no "battle" ....only the fact that the majority of riders won't come off on pavement ....so stop stating it's inevitable....it's not.
If you are a new rider on a race level bike then you have greater odds of a crash ...that's self inflicted increased risk...not inevitable.

I didn't crash on the street in 14 years before I stopped riding on the roads.

the fact that you haven't done anything to it since July 2016 tells me you already made your decision....

Thanks for all the comments guys.....much appreciated and unexpected. One thing I will do over the next couple of weeks is repair it to a decent rideable state.....will probably take $200-300 in parts to do so. I'll hold off on replacing the rashed up plastics for now due to their insane prices. The only issue I may have is the insurance.....I've suspended coverage on it, and may not want to put it back on for 8-10 weeks of fall riding.

Just to be clear.....yes, I did purchase this as my first bike. Popular wisdom suggests to start out on something smaller....I get that. The logic I used when deciding on this as a first bike was this....I was in my 50's, not prone to wreckless or impulsive behaviour, it's a machine I drooled over ever since they came out in '85, it may be my "forever" bike. Don't get me wrong.....these are twitchy, high-strung animals that don't suffer fools easily, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me a time or two early on. But I quickly got over that emotion and developed a real sympatico with the machine. Neither of my two "offs" were due to over-riding my skills or behaving foolishly....really due to a moment of inattention in both cases (and I do know those moments can kill you).

Some good suggestions have come in....advanced courses, dirt riding.....all worth considering. Time will tell.

Alan

Last edited:
I don't want to be that guy but...it's been over a year and you haven't fixed the bike. It's a done deal. If you truly wanted to be back out there you would be and wouldn't even be asking the question. Zero shame in that, we all have to ask ourselves is the risk worth it. The enjoyment has to out weigh the potential negative and when it doesn't it's time to pack it in.

Another opinion, don't sell your bike and buy a cruiser thinking it's safer. It isn't and it 100% doesn't feel any safer. If anything I feel more vulnerable.
I hate to admit it, but blackcamaro might be right. Sounds like you're probably done. Dwelling on the past can either reignite negative thoughts and feelings or give you the courage to find strength and face your fears. Bikes are meant to be ridden!

.... Neither of my two "offs" were due to over-riding my skills or behaving foolishly....really due to a moment of inattention in both cases (and I do know those moments can kill you)......Alan

That is over-riding your skills or behaving foolishly.

+1 ....OP is in denial.

That said ....Iit's just a tough bike to get anywhere near it's intended use out of living in S Ontario...

Cruisers are statistical safer but only because they are not pushed. In my opinion they are less safe than sport tourers and adventure bikes.
There are tons of "non-cruiser" motorcycles that are thrilling, more comfortable, and statistically safer as well.

OPs bike is incredibly safe in skilled experiences hands and can push the limits more safely than other categorys. The limitation is the rider...loving the bike does not make up for experience riding.

Last edited:

I hear you, but there is a broad spectrum here. My incidents were about as far away from attempting to drag a knee, pop a wheelie or set a land speed record as possible. And neither had anything to do with my ride of choice being a sport bike.

Don't be so judgemental. The OP low-sided on some gravel; could happen to any rider.

Considering what happened to a fellow rider in NL, that gives me great pause heading out for a little trip together. We actually haven't gone out together for a long while.

I'm that fellow rider in NL.

We were on a 3 week trip, had just done the Trans Lab and the Labrador Coastal Highway. Had been camping in Gros Morne and were headed towards Cornerbrook NL for a hotel room, laundry and a shower. My wife rides her own bike, and there were three of us in total. Minding our own business, a car crossed the centre line and hit all three of us, head on. I am in the hospital with ... let's just say an impressive array of injuries and a spectacular amount of luck, the third rider was unharmed and my wife died on impact. I'm now facing an 18 month recovery and the rest of my life without the love of my life; my best friend and the best goddamned riding partner I ever had.

It's late. I can't sleep. I don't even know why I'm replying to this thread. But people have asked me if I will ride again, and my honest answer is I don't know. I like the idea of riding again, but that's for future oomis to figure out.

What would my wife want? She'd want me to do what makes me happy, and if riding is that, then she'd want me back on 2 wheels as soon as possible.

My crash wasn't a motorcycle accident. It was a freak accident that was a random act. I won't go into it, but there's literally no conceivable reason why the driver that hit all of us couldn't have stayed in his lane. And honestly, had we been in a car, it might have turned out the same way.

When faced with the decision to get back on or to stop, I strongly believe that you'll just know. And if you don't, perhaps the conservative thing to do is to give it some more time. And for crying out loud, don't turn to the intertubes for advice.

If riding is in your heart, you'll know. If it isn't, you shouldn't.

OP, would suggest getting the bike fixed and cleaned up ASAP
as you say, every time you see it like that you have conflicted thoughts

when something I own has been damaged or is not in sorts, I want it out of my sight

so I understand you also have some confidence issues, this is normal
but looking at a damaged bike everyday is not going to help with that

my advice: fix it, shine it up, take the rest of the season off
when the snow goes away and we get a warm sunny day
if that day you still don't want to ride, sell it

Fix the bike and sell it. Sadly that's a bike you just can't enjoy in Ontario anymore. Sold my Ninja when the 50over rules came into play. I rode that all the time at 140 - 160 'cause it just felt right at that speed.

Now I ride a KLR650. I keep a list on the garage door of the street bikes I have owned. Of the 13 on the list I think the KLR is the most fun.

It's the lightest street bike you'll own, comfortable enough for a 1K day, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, has all the power you REALLY need, will do 125kph all day while getting about 50mpg, goes anywhere and best of all every gravel road is a chance to break the back loose and put a huge grin on your face.

So once again OP, don't give up the riding just ditch the gixxer and join the killer nation.

In truth, my confidence is somewhat shot; and my sense of mortality and obligation to my family has never been greater. Reading about all the recent fatalities and knuckleheads out there is not helping. This is my second crash.....what's that saying "3 strikes and you're out"? I think I already have an answer in my head, but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. I really don't expect forum comments to sway me one way or the other.....just curious what the opinions are out there.

Time to give it up. You obviously misjudged your abilities and didn't take the correct precautions. That's telling of the kind of person you are. You'll just end up getting yourself killed if you keep riding. Makes no difference what bike you're riding, a guy with bad judgement never changes. You have a family and probably never should have been riding in the first place. Normal riders just shake it off and keep going, but you're having neurotic episodes, stressing out, anxiety every time you look at the bike. Stop kidding yourself. You never really liked riding anyway. Too dangerous. Sell the bike. Now that it's all smashed up it won't be worth much. If the price is low enough, I'll consider buying it.

Back
Top Bottom