Continue......or pack it in? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Continue......or pack it in?

Look into track days if you don't like the road anymore. Another good option is to buy a dirtbike and join the oftr. Tons of adrenaline to be had, from trail rides to enduros and hare scrambles they offer it all.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

i've gone down at the track before and have experienced some anxiety in the following sessions or track days, but got it out of my system after a while, it doesnt mean I have PTSD from a recreational accident...

LOL - seems like someone had a minor case of PTSD they were able to resolve themselves. Excellent work.

The fact you can go a year without riding and just wondering what to do with your bike, tells me either your passion/thirst for the thrill of riding is gone, or you are spooked/scared and wondering if your accident is a warning sign. Now that we are heading to only a couple more months of semi-comfortable riding, I bet you won't ride this year at all. So by next year it may be close to 2 years you have not ridden, and by then you may be completely over your desire to ride. Like a drug addict, the toughest part is in the hours and days immediately following withdrawal. You are past that now.

I commend you on your choice of bikes, I always had a soft-spot for the 750 which is the sweet spot between the buzzy 600 and torque-monster 1000. Every time I get off my son's GSXR 1000 I literally shake for a minute from the after-effects of the rush of adrenaline I feel. I would likely not be here if that was my regular ride, as the temptation to ride it to it's limit would be too great. Some bikes should just not be street legal. Seriously.

The fact you had two events not involving others tells me you may be riding past your personal safety limit. Your choice of bike may also have something to do with it, in wanting to push the envelope cause it's just so much of a rush to do so! You don't want advice to buy another bike, but that is what I'm telling you to do, or just sell your bike and get out. Go on a few demo-ride days in the Spring and find a mid-range standard bike that is still a blast to ride, but doesn't have the racing edge that you can do without (unless you track your bike, of course, but then just keep it for that purpose).

And don't let the fear of death spook you, because as John Maynard Keyes said, 'In the long run, we are all dead.'

OP you need to get back on that horse....you are just beating yourself up.

If that was your first bike at 56 tho .....you did not get good advice....
You are on the wrong bike for your age and experience and it shows that you've had two come offs.....you join the list of other new riders in over their heads.
There are other bikes with thrilling performance without going into race replicas FFS.

You say you "love the bike" etc can't think of riding anything else........you have no experience of other bikes....how would you know?

There are very few roads in S Ontario where you can even begin to take advantage of that bike and the places that are great are in the US and 4 hours away ...not a very comfortable ride distance on that bike.

You are getting to the age where you can have the freedom to really see North America and if your son is interested then it's excellent ...my son and I flew our bikes to BC in 2015 and put on 10k km riding the area and then home.

You can have fun, thrills and a comfortable ride for distance ...I put 3,000 km on in 4 days riding Ohio last month on the CBF1000 ....without the unforgiving nature of an SS.

10k in trips since June....and I'm 70 ....but I've been riding for 50+ years.
I certainly don't push as hard as when I was younger but roads like Ohio 78 can still get the blood up on a responsive bike ...

Do you have riding partner???? ....

•••

If you actually ride a bike farther than the corner store you`re going eventually to go down on it, period.

This is flat out horsepucky ....two thirds of riders will never have an accident on pavement and many, including me, have been riding for decades and hundreds of thousands of km without a come off on pavement.
You are spreading an dangerous meme and it's wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am a few years younger than you, not by much. I think another part is your family. The commitment and responsibility is still there. son still young, wife. Perhaps take a break for a few years, wait until your son is older and independent and you are retired or close to it. You said you are fairly fit and have your wits.

The roads during the day while people are at work are much less traveled. I grew up with dirt bikes, riding without a license when young for the thrill. Stopped it all once married and had kids. Once the kids grew up, wife had her own interests, and we were financially safe/stable I picked up the hobby again. If you dont ride, its not forever... its just for now.

OP.... I hope to be you when I'm 61. And I hope you do get up back on your bike. That being said, if you're looking to sell it I may be interested in buying it depending on the damage. Upgrade from on 09 600.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Had to put down my bike at speed, destroyed the fairings, sold the carcass and bought a new CBR. After road rash healed started riding again, never looked back. That is at 71 years old, first time down and was not a happy camper. What I am saying is get back at it either repair or buy new, get out there. Places to go and places to see!

either way, doctors often like to label things so the patient has piece of mind, for example: all of a sudden every kid with excess energy has ADD or ADHD, and every adult that experiences anxiety has PTSD. Yes I get it PTSD sounds a lot better than anxiety and a lot more noble because soldiers that went thru battle get it instead neurotic housewives who often suffer from anxiety.

i've gone down at the track before and have experienced some anxiety in the following sessions or track days, but got it out of my system after a while, it doesnt mean I have PTSD from a recreational accident...

I'm not looking to start a long winded argument about this, just something for you to think about

I thought about it for 2 years. I also rode onto a curb once due to a black out + hallucination while riding. I wondered if I was just a pussy for not getting over the crash as fast as others did.

You know what's ridiculous? People who have zero qualifications in the medical field giving opinions that out rule multiple opinions from professionals in an attempt to undermine a diagnosis because "this didn't happen to me, therefore all he has is anxiety." If I could force the hallucinations I had while riding onto others who have made this claim, I would do it in a heart beat.

But hey, there's a great lesson to be learned from this: people are ********.

油井緋色;2521514 said:
I thought about it for 2 years. I also rode onto a curb once due to a black out + hallucination while riding. I wondered if I was just a pussy for not getting over the crash as fast as others did.

You know what's ridiculous? People who have zero qualifications in the medical field giving opinions that out rule multiple opinions from professionals in an attempt to undermine a diagnosis because "this didn't happen to me, therefore all he has is anxiety." If I could force the hallucinations I had while riding onto others who have made this claim, I would do it in a heart beat.

Sh!# - good come back. I felt like saying something in response too.

Look bright eyes, we're all wired differently. I'll give a personal example - had live rounds zipping between my feet, didn't scare me, just ****** me off. I could see the grass by my boots moving like snakes were racing by and I put that together with the sounds and thought, wow, guess I better move. Yes, they do sound like hornets. Weird situation. More recently had a skinning knife with brass knuckle grip swung at my face - took my time backing up, tried to calm the nut case down and went in the house and called the cops to deal with it. More weird. Low sided the bike, stayed with it feet and hands on the controls and cussed that I was scraping my new helmet. Someone else had to point out my elbow was ripped up. Crap, wrecked my jacket too.

But get me thinking about people I opened up to or trusted that screwed me over, even if it was 20 years ago and I get feet of lead and can't function better than 50% until I get over it until the next time. We all react and deal differently.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2521514 said:

Right...you definitely have PTSD

you are right, I am wrong, enjoy your diagnosis

Last edited:
Just another thought.

Maybe your subconscious thinks the bike is cursed in someway.

Maybe look at a different ride but similar style.

Even the same bike spec and make but just not that bike?

I've ridden the same spec bike but different model years and found some to be awesome and others I'd rather leave parked.

You'd be surprised. And maybe just putting your leg over a different machine will help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sh!# - good come back. I felt like saying something in response too.

Look bright eyes, we're all wired differently. I'll give a personal example - had live rounds zipping between my feet, didn't scare me, just ****** me off. I could see the grass by my boots moving like snakes were racing by and I put that together with the sounds and thought, wow, guess I better move. Yes, they do sound like hornets. Weird situation. More recently had a skinning knife with brass knuckle grip swung at my face - took my time backing up, tried to calm the nut case down and went in the house and called the cops to deal with it. More weird. Low sided the bike, stayed with it feet and hands on the controls and cussed that I was scraping my new helmet. Someone else had to point out my elbow was ripped up. Crap, wrecked my jacket too.

But get me thinking about people I opened up to or trusted that screwed me over, even if it was 20 years ago and I get feet of lead and can't function better than 50% until I get over it until the next time. We all react and deal differently.

ok, Bright eyes lol

you definitely have PTSD

http://www.ptsd.ne.gov/what-is-ptsd.html

Look into track days if you don't like the road anymore. Another good option is to buy a dirtbike and join the oftr. Tons of adrenaline to be had, from trail rides to enduros and hare scrambles they offer it all.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hell yeah! I agree...offroad riding
is a total experience, and will make you a better rider overall...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Never give up something you love. Get back on that horse. **** or get off the pot

n9sDu8S.gif

In truth, my confidence is somewhat shot; and my sense of mortality and obligation to my family has never been greater. Reading about all the recent fatalities and knuckleheads out there is not helping. This is my second crash.....what's that saying "3 strikes and you're out"? I think I already have an answer in my head, but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. I really don't expect forum comments to sway me one way or the other.....just curious what the opinions are out there.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. Calculated risk is the spice of life, right?

OP you need to get back on that horse....you are just beating yourself up.

If that was your first bike at 56 tho .....you did not get good advice....
You are on the wrong bike for your age and experience and it shows that you've had two come offs.....you join the list of other new riders in over their heads.
There are other bikes with thrilling performance without going into race replicas FFS.

You say you "love the bike" etc can't think of riding anything else........you have no experience of other bikes....how would you know?

There are very few roads in S Ontario where you can even begin to take advantage of that bike and the places that are great are in the US and 4 hours away ...not a very comfortable ride distance on that bike.

You are getting to the age where you can have the freedom to really see North America and if your son is interested then it's excellent ...my son and I flew our bikes to BC in 2015 and put on 10k km riding the area and then home.

You can have fun, thrills and a comfortable ride for distance ...I put 3,000 km on in 4 days riding Ohio last month on the CBF1000 ....without the unforgiving nature of an SS.

10k in trips since June....and I'm 70 ....but I've been riding for 50+ years.
I certainly don't push as hard as when I was younger but roads like Ohio 78 can still get the blood up on a responsive bike ...

Do you have riding partner???? ....

•••

This is flat out horsepucky ....two thirds of riders will never have an accident on pavement and many, including me, have been riding for decades and hundreds of thousands of km without a come off on pavement.
You are spreading an dangerous meme and it's wrong. :rolleyes:

Let's not get into a battle over statistics. I'm happy to hear you haven't come off your bike yet, hopefully you never will.

/back on topic

I haven't ridden since I had a low-side on some gravel in July 2016. Bike suffered some minor damage, but I was able to ride it home from near Burleigh Falls......I parked it in the garage and it sits in the same condition today. I must confess to being truly on the fence about my riding future. I walk by the bike in the garage daily and vacillate between "Geez....I really need to get this thing fixed and get back out there. I miss riding so much" and "Geez....I really need to get this thing fixed so I can get maximum return in a sale. My riding days are over". A bit of background.....I've only been riding since June 2011; I'm 61, married, with a 16-year-old son who is just starting to drive. My bike is a 2011 GSX-R750 with a few minor mods....I absolutely love it and can't even think of riding any other type of bike. My friends, family and riding buddies say "why don't you get yourself a nice cruiser....much safer and more appropriate for someone your age". I say BS.....not for me; no interest at all; I would sooner quit riding than switch to something like that. In honesty, I don't think I'm a "typical" 61-year-old; I'm still fairly fit and sharp; I don't feel that a rest home is in my near future.

In truth, my confidence is somewhat shot; and my sense of mortality and obligation to my family has never been greater. Reading about all the recent fatalities and knuckleheads out there is not helping. This is my second crash.....what's that saying "3 strikes and you're out"? I think I already have an answer in my head, but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. I really don't expect forum comments to sway me one way or the other.....just curious what the opinions are out there.

The fact that you are asking...... I say pack it in.

There's no room for doubt on a motorcycle. Maybe on a huge one with bags and ****.

Well I've learned I can hallucinate and have ptsd from crashing. That's neato.

Had to put down my bike at speed, destroyed the fairings, sold the carcass and bought a new CBR. After road rash healed started riding again, never looked back. That is at 71 years old, first time down and was not a happy camper. What I am saying is get back at it either repair or buy new, get out there. Places to go and places to see!

71 yrs old, kudos to you. At what age did you start riding?

Back
Top Bottom