Street tires for supermoto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Street tires for supermoto

defeater905

Hey All, I've only been riding a few seasons and have been strictly using Bridgestone battleaxe S20 evo's. Seems I need to find a different tire to try next time.

The s20 evo's have been serving me well, but I just got a new set yesterday and the sizes are different. Seems that the front tire doesn't come in 120 anymore, so they put a 110 on the front. 140 is stock for the rear on my bike and what I've always ran, well they put on a 150. It actually feels really nice, even more nimble with the 110. but with the bigger back it almost feels like I'm about to back it in automatically...lie the front turns in SO easy and the back is resisting?..I dunno really..just guessing..

Anyways recommend me some tires for my next set. What do you guys run? I have friends who run Pilot Powers, that's always an option..there's so many choices it's difficult for a noob. I got the evo's because my mechanic recommended them so I stuck with what worked..

I've run Pirelli diablo, michelin pilot power 2ct supermoto. Could try dunlop gpr300, think they come in your size.

Last edited:
It really depends how you use your bike. As you said a ton of great tires ... do you want longevity or super sticky with quick wear? Do you care about wet performance or not? Quick warm up in colder temps or you don't ride in colder weather ... I would call these the factors determining my tire choice. Once you come up with a shorter list, any tire is good these days, especially for street riding in flat and straight Ontario.

BTW, what bike are we talking about here?

I would find it very odd if Bridgestone quit making the S20 in a 120 front size. I feel like the shop sold you a 110 that they had in the back and if I was you I wouldn't be too pumped about it. Running a 150 rear will work out fine instead of the 140.

Anyways I run Michelin Pilot 2ct on my supermoto and I'm pretty happy with them but might try the continential supermoto specific tire next. What I've read about that tire is it wears out quickly though.

I would just run what you can buy the cheapest in a supersport tire. You will struggle to warm even those up so I run them a little at 24-25psi but stay away from any sport touring tire.

It really depends how you use your bike. As you said a ton of great tires ... do you want longevity or super sticky with quick wear? Do you care about wet performance or not? Quick warm up in colder temps or you don't ride in colder weather ... I would call these the factors determining my tire choice. Once you come up with a shorter list, any tire is good these days, especially for street riding in flat and straight Ontario.

BTW, what bike are we talking about here?

Drz400sm

And what size tires ?

Stock is 120 front, 140 back 17in rim

I would find it very odd if Bridgestone quit making the S20 in a 120 front size. I feel like the shop sold you a 110 that they had in the back and if I was you I wouldn't be too pumped about it. Running a 150 rear will work out fine instead of the 140.

Anyways I run Michelin Pilot 2ct on my supermoto and I'm pretty happy with them but might try the continential supermoto specific tire next. What I've read about that tire is it wears out quickly though.

I would just run what you can buy the cheapest in a supersport tire. You will struggle to warm even those up so I run them a little at 24-25psi but stay away from any sport touring tire.

Why do you say stay away from sport touring tires? I'm interested because I've had people tell me the tires I'm running are overkill and to get sport touring tires.

Drz400sm
Why do you say stay away from sport touring tires? I'm interested because I've had people tell me the tires I'm running are overkill and to get sport touring tires.

Because supermoto's are pretty light bikes without a lot of power. They struggle to warm up soft sport tires nevermind a harder sport touring compound and I really don't think you would need the extra longevity offered by a sport touring tire. Basically a sport touring tire is going to be designed to work on a bike much much heavier then yours and it won't work properly. In my opinion of course, others may think differently.

As I said, depends how and where OP rides ... slabbing hwy daily (I know wrong bike, but people do it all the time if they commute on it) and hardly aware taking it to supermoto track day, sport touring tires might be the ticket.

M7RR? I've got the M5 on my bike and like it.

I have Michelin pilot roads on my 690 and I couldn't ask more of them. Ran them to their edge on the track and never felt a slip I didn't want. Plus they are wearing like iron. Seem to be spending way too much time on the 401 lately and they aren't squaring off. I'll be going with a multi compound touring tire next time as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Hey All, I've only been riding a few seasons and have been strictly using Bridgestone battleaxe S20 evo's. Seems I need to find a different tire to try next time.

The s20 evo's have been serving me well, but I just got a new set yesterday and the sizes are different. Seems that the front tire doesn't come in 120 anymore, so they put a 110 on the front. 140 is stock for the rear on my bike and what I've always ran, well they put on a 150. It actually feels really nice, even more nimble with the 110. but with the bigger back it almost feels like I'm about to back it in automatically...lie the front turns in SO easy and the back is resisting?..I dunno really..just guessing..

Anyways recommend me some tires for my next set. What do you guys run? I have friends who run Pilot Powers, that's always an option..there's so many choices it's difficult for a noob. I got the evo's because my mechanic recommended them so I stuck with what worked..
Oh and ditch that mechanic. He essentially lowered your front and raised your rear which increased the rake of your forks and messed with your handling. If you get too much rake in the front your steering will get twitchy and can even cause a tank slapper at high speed. Not to mention narrowing the front and widening the rear isn't a good idea handling wise either.

If you want to combat the rake you can lower your forks in the triples 8mm which will raise the front back up to where it should be and balance the bike back out.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom