Need insurance for GSXR600 with M1 license | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need insurance for GSXR600 with M1 license

10w40

I just got my M1 and got a killer deal on a GSXR600 and everyone's telling me I cant get insurance - I see people riding these all the time, where do they get insurance?

I just got my M1 and got a killer deal on a GSXR600 and everyone's telling me I cant get insurance - I see people riding these all the time, where do they get insurance?

Google is your friend ;)

Suzuki GSX-R600$2620

From https://mitchellwhale.com/motorcycle-insurance/

That's supposedly the avg rate for these guys, but I doubt that's for an M1 :D

Also, "Insurance on a starter bike such as a 2017 Honda CBR300RA for an example, for a 25 year old male with no prior insurance; an M1 license; with a down town Toronto postal code; would be approximately $3500.If the same rider in the same postal code were to obtain rider training and their M2, insurance would be approximately $1500. This includes $1M liability and $100 deductible on collision and comprehensive."

I got insured by State Farm back in the day, maybe try giving them a call. I saw one of their agent listed on here.

Last edited:
I tried to get in touch with mitchell/whale, they only insure durham region apparently, the rest of the planet, they are not competitive

A Contributing factor towards you getting a "killer deal" on it possibly had something to do with the previous owners inability to get insurance.

As a (presumably young?) M1 rider you'll be in the $600-$1000/month range (to make an educated guess) depending on your postal code and your driving record. This is once you actually find somebody willing to underwrite you, which will be a challenge in itself.

Yes, there are some young riders on supersports out there, however a percentage is simply riding without insurance, and the rest are paying through the nose for the privledge.

ALWAYS get insurance quotes before buying a motorcycle.

I tried to get in touch with mitchell/whale, they only insure durham region apparently, the rest of the planet, they are not competitive

Hmmm? I live in North York and use M&W at competitive rates :eek:

It's not worth the money you will spend on insurance. In a similar situation i could have had a mint '08 ZX6R for less then $3,000, but insurance was $4,000+ a year! Needless to say i passed and now pay less then $1000 for a new R3.

But really, i don't know how old you are but save the coin and get something easier on the wallet. Put the savings towards the bike you eventually want to get on in 3ish years, even if its that same GSXR.

Or take the gsxr to the track. Track isn't cheap, but it will be much cheaper than insurance as you sound young.

Hmmm? I live in North York and use M&W at competitive rates :eek:
Weird....ill give some other broker a call then

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

A Contributing factor towards you getting a "killer deal" on it possibly had something to do with the previous owners inability to get insurance.

As a (presumably young?) M1 rider you'll be in the $600-$1000/month range (to make an educated guess) depending on your postal code and your driving record. This is once you actually find somebody willing to underwrite you, which will be a challenge in itself.

Yes, there are some young riders on supersports out there, however a percentage is simply riding without insurance, and the rest are paying through the nose for the privledge.

ALWAYS get insurance quotes before buying a motorcycle.

Lol, that's for sure. M&W told me they could get me insurance for about $300/mo, but if I get my M2 and rider training, it would be about $130 on a CBR300.

I'm really worried about getting bored on a 300 after a month or two. Any of you with 300's, did you find them fun for a good while?

Lol, that's for sure. M&W told me they could get me insurance for about $300/mo, but if I get my M2 and rider training, it would be about $130 on a CBR300.

I'm really worried about getting bored on a 300 after a month or two. Any of you with 300's, did you find them fun for a good while?
Have a 600, my gf's 250 is a blast.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why do so many people think they'll get bored quickly on a 250-300. Are you a huge adrenaline junkie? Spend all day skydiving?
If you learn to use it properly and actually get out for day rides, explore etc, you'll have fun for years.
Unless your only goal is to go 200 plus in a straight line, then get a litre bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

As many around here say, it's more fun to ride a small/slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I agree.

As a new rider you won't even be able to come close to exploring the limits of a 600rr for some time, aside from going insanely fast in a straight line which neither requires nor demonstrates any skill whatsoever.

Buy a smaller bike. Save your money and put it in the tank instead.

I had trouble finding insurance even for a beginner bike with an M1

lol op must be new to the insurance game in Canada. you will not find any company that will register a supersport with an m1 or any other bike for that matter. you will have enough trouble with m2 on a supersport if you haven't been insured on other bikes previously. get a 250-300 and insure it with your m1 and rider training and after a season you can look into an ss bike. learn on the 250-300 because chances are you are young and like a typical young kid they want to jump the gun and will get hurt as a result.

GTAM has riders with hundreds of thousands of kilometres under their belts that ride 125's and 250's and have a great time.

I ride a 44 yr old CB350 Four and a 44 yr old RD250 and I never get bored of riding either one.

32,000km on my CBR300 since April of last year. Last weekend a cbr1k couldn't shake me off his tail in the turns. No need for a big bike, especially as a first bike. As others said, the killer deal you got was most likely because of how gnarly supersport insurance in Ontario is.

Most people don't even scratch the surface of their bike's capabilities before they feel they've "outgrown" their bikes, when in reality, they just want to go fast, fast (typically straight). To each their own, but when you see someone that says they've outgrown their 250/300, but you see them needing to duckwalk everywhere, it says it all.

You can take these bikes to the track if you want to be a fast rider, or explore MotoGymkhana to be a better low speed rider. Both styles of riding take a lot of time to "outgrow".
If you feel like you need to go fast, straight, buy a litre bike, pile some mods on, and take it to the drag strip.
Having a bike with an unnecessary amount of power to pass with ease is tempting, but I'd like to keep my premiums at less than $800/yr.

lol op must be new to the insurance game in Canada. you will not find any company that will register a supersport with an m1 or any other bike for that matter. you will have enough trouble with m2 on a supersport if you haven't been insured on other bikes previously.

It's just Ontario. Everywhere outside of Ontario is relatively "cheap".

Last edited:
I had trouble finding insurance even for a beginner bike with an M1

I thought facility had to provide a price for every combination of rider/bike? Yes, it will probably be many times what he paid for the bike, but I thought it was always possible, just often unaffordable.

Back
Top Bottom