Convince me that it's stupid to buy and insure a bike at this point in the season | GTAMotorcycle.com

Convince me that it's stupid to buy and insure a bike at this point in the season

knowledge

Site Supporter
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a bike all summer (and had the money ready) but haven't had a day off to actually go check them out. I know that on paper, it'd be pretty stupid to buy a bike this far into the season...but it's easy for me to be stubborn because owning a motorcycle has never been a rationally justifiable choice for me.

05/06 636 in case it matters. Have my license, gear, etc. called around for quotes. All I really need to do is pull the trigger on it.

Any strong arguments for why I should just wait until next season?

Now is when all the end of season deals start popping up. I wouldnt have a problem buying a bike now (If its your first) but I wouldnt insure it until the beginning of next season. As long as you have a safe place to store it where it wont get stolen of course.

Will you have the days off or time? If so, get the bike and ride it.
Orrrrr ride to work?

Op, if you have your M and can get insurance for around 1k, sure it'll be worth it.
If you're one of those guys paying 3800 for insurance on a 636, then I'd wait.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's not that bad - prices are falling now, and you will only be paying for couple pro-rated months of insurance

It's not that bad - prices are falling now, and you will only be paying for couple pro-rated months of insurance

He's still be paying a regular 12 month policy, it's just that he'd be paying his prorated months upfront instead of at the end like most people. If he decided to cancel the policy come spring or early summer for example, this is actually a big plus as it would result in a refund, instead of a big bill.

If you pay your insurance up front in one lump sum, all I'd consider is would I have the funds to pay for the next renewal.

Otherwise, I'd ride starting now and probably keep riding until Halloween and possibly beyond.

You are paying insurance for a year. Be it monthly, and can't ride, doesn't matter really.

Keep it parked and stare at it for the rest of the year if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two winters ago many of us rode all winter. You never know what we're gonna get. Also depends on how much of a hard-core rider you are - some of the "ride or die" crowd are amongst the first to put their bikes away when temps start to slide, but others take things more seriously.

Personally, I've ridden at least once every month since 2015

OP.....FWIW, it's a good time of year to buy a bike in the private sale market right now - in another week or two people start to see the end of the season on the horizon and bike prices start to drop.

Last edited:
OP - its not stupid, go buy a bike and enjoy it, you will likely get a better deal this time of year vs next spring

Bikes are still over priced right now, I would wait until it gets a little colder. People will be more willing to negotiate as they don't want to incur in the cost/work of winterizing it and possibly storing somewhere paid.

Ice cream riders are still out for a few more weeks, then it will go under the 20c regularly and it will be too cold to ride for them.

That being said, when i want a bike I buy a bike so do as I say not as I do.

If I had the time to ride it, I would buy and insure it now. Waiting to insure it until next year is nuts. Winter months are literally something like $1 a month for insurance. I would rather start building an insurance history now to lower rates in the future (and you get to ride).

If you aren't going to insure it until the spring, I would only buy a bike now if it was a screaming deal, you might as well wait until the spring to buy if you are going to pay fair market value.

He's still be paying a regular 12 month policy, it's just that he'd be paying his prorated months upfront instead of at the end like most people. If he decided to cancel the policy come spring or early summer for example, this is actually a big plus as it would result in a refund, instead of a big bill.

Right. I'd been using TDMM for a long time, and they start all their bike policies in Feb

It's stupid to buy and insure a bike at this point in the season because overnight temps are down to the teens now. Brrrrrr!

Sorry if that wasn't convincing enough.

September is my favourite month of the year for riding. Not to hot, not to cold, just right!

I would not hesitate to buy a bike unless maybe it was the dead of winter. I did get my first GS around Christmas time and that was agonizing looking at it in the garage and having never taken it for a ride yet. Personally I would have no issue buying a bike now and enjoying the next 2 months of riding, maybe even 3 weather depending.

Not a bad time of year to buy a bike. If weather is like last year you still have a solid 2-3 months of riding!

Back
Top Bottom