Ninja 400-500, and CBR400-500 name? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 400-500, and CBR400-500 name?

both the ktm390 and yamaha R3 have had engine issues, ditto for the earlier honda CBR300. The kawasaki ninja 300 is the reliability king of the 300's. imo

Have had a 99% stock Ninja 300 for about 25k kms now and haven't run into any issues except a broken fork seal a few months ago, but that's the least of your worries when looking at the overall reliability of a bike.

I think those are all more powerful than the Ninja. Perhaps related?

Horsepower ratings
Honda 30 Ninja 39 KTM 40 (or 43, various ratings exist) R3 42

Other than the Honda they are close (but yes the 390 and R3 are both more powerful than the Ninja).

Thanks for the help guys. I got my insurance quote. They don't insure 600's, but they'll ensure a GS500 for 1600, and a Ninja 300 for 1400.
I think I might go for the 500, instead of craming myself on a 300, and wanting to upgrade within a few years.

The ninja 400 doesn't really make much sense. As unL33T said, its a sleeved down Ninja 650. The power to weight ratio would almost almost make it slower, or the same as a R3 or Ninja 300. If you are a smaller guy I'd test out the Yamaha R3...If you a taller/bigger I'd go for the CBR 500

The 400 is still quicker just a bit less nimble. It's also completely different ergo's than any of the smaller bikes. A lot more comfortable for loner rides/touring. The 300 class bikes are still comfortable but the 400 is just a bit more upright.

Thanks for the help guys. I got my insurance quote. They don't insure 600's, but they'll ensure a GS500 for 1600, and a Ninja 300 for 1400.
I think I might go for the 500, instead of craming myself on a 300, and wanting to upgrade within a few years.

the GS500's are a bit cheaper to buy than the ninja 300's as well. My Dad had two different ones. He rode one from Hamilton to BC and all around with no major issues.

both the ktm390 and yamaha R3 have had engine issues, ditto for the earlier honda CBR300. The kawasaki ninja 300 is the reliability king of the 300's. imo

What engine issues has the R3 had? I've heard of KTM's not being too reliable. I have put 12,000kms on my R3 and its been great! Spend tons on time on the R3 forum and no one seems to run into any engine issues.

What engine issues has the R3 had? I've heard of KTM's not being too reliable. I have put 12,000kms on my R3 and its been great! Spend tons on time on the R3 forum and no one seems to run into any engine issues.

coolant leaks at the head-not actually prevalent on most bikes. clutch/bearing recall. that said, my neighbours r3 leaves a coolant puddle wherever he parks it. ditto for spears racing r3.

not by any means calling it a lemon: it smoked the lwt class csbk at mosport.

Last edited:
gs500 is about 35rwhp, ninja500 about 50. Owned a gs500 for quite a while, but I don't think it is much larger than the 300 ninja-but I've only sat on a ninja300-didn't get to ride...gs500 handles nicely. Im 6'1"

as a poster mentioned, would be good to go and sit on a few bikes. cbr500 looks much more modern than the gs5 or ninja5.

Last edited:
The 400 is still quicker just a bit less nimble. It's also completely different ergo's than any of the smaller bikes. A lot more comfortable for loner rides/touring. The 300 class bikes are still comfortable but the 400 is just a bit more upright.
Having owned a 650R I think I'd prefer one of the 300s myself. But I haven't tried one.

Having owned a 650R I think I'd prefer one of the 300s myself. But I haven't tried one.

You're in North York?

Msg me anytime you get the itch, except this weekend. I'm taking it 3.5hrs NE to the cottage :)

Back
Top Bottom