New rider, looking for your guess on my insurance quote, 400cc-600cc bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider, looking for your guess on my insurance quote, 400cc-600cc bike

Alderson

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on buying a motorcycle, my first one ever. I'm signing up to get my M1 license this weekend and was looking around at bikes.

I'm currently 25 years old, clean driving record, had my G license since 16 (G1 then full G at 17-18), and under my parents insurance policy which they've had for probably 20-30 years.

The insurance on my truck along with all of my other family members vehicles are already quite low due to the amount of years my parents have had the policy with the company.

I'm curious to know, what do you guys think my insurance would be for a CBR400-600/Ninja 400-600? I'm not looking at getting the RR editions, just the standard one as I'm not planning on being an idiot with it, and don't want to have something too powerful as my first bike. Although, I would prefer it to be a bigger bike, since I'm 6'4''.

I couldn't find any posts about people getting quotes from The Cooperators (which is what my insurance company is), so I'm hoping those who have had experience with them, can chime in.

Just forget any bike with an R in it and your insurance should be around 1500 with a 400/500. (Once you get your m2, don't even try with m1).
That being side, I myself am 6'3" 210 and ride by 2009 gsxr 600 50 km each way to work April to October and never had any complaints about comfort.

My first bike was a gs500 and I had a blast on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Appreciate the help guys. I never plan on getting a RR bike, the normal(?) edition bikes are already fast enough (imo).

I'm going to call my insurance company tomorrow and get a quote, I was hoping for some educated guesses on here until then.

It's impossible for anyone to really narrow down insurance prices as they can vary wildly by even your postal code, as well as a ton of other variables. See the link in my signature.

Best thing to do is to settle on a few bike options (some are inexplicably higher priced than others, so have a few options in mind) and call around - start with the big brokers like Dalton Timmis who can shop you around to a ton of underwriters. Get quotes BEFORE buying a bike - cardinal rule.

You ideally want to wait until you have your M2 as the costs will be significantly lower. Unfortunately it's late in the season to achieve that while still getting much riding in as you need to have your M1 for a minimum of 60 days before you are even eligible for the M2 upgrade, which would put you into November basically. If you take an M1 exit training course ASAP (seriously, do it, what you learn can very well save your life some day) and pass some underwriters will write you as an M2 even though you are still technically M1, so consider that - be sure to ask for rates as an M1 and M2 to see the differences.

Lastly, don't be surprised if many insurance companies refuse to insure you with an M1. Increasingly an M2 is the minimum they will accept, with successful completion of the training course becoming more commonly required as well by some insurers.

It's impossible for anyone to really narrow down insurance prices as they can vary wildly by even your postal code, as well as a ton of other variables. See the link in my signature.

Best thing to do is to settle on a few bike options (some are inexplicably higher priced than others, so have a few options in mind) and call around - start with the big brokers like Dalton Timmis who can shop you around to a ton of underwriters. Get quotes BEFORE buying a bike - cardinal rule.

You ideally want to wait until you have your M2 as the costs will be significantly lower. Unfortunately it's late in the season to achieve that while still getting much riding in as you need to have your M1 for a minimum of 60 days before you are even eligible for the M2 upgrade, which would put you into November basically. If you take an M1 exit training course ASAP (seriously, do it, what you learn can very well save your life some day) and pass some underwriters will write you as an M2 even though you are still technically M1, so consider that - be sure to ask for rates as an M1 and M2 to see the differences.

Lastly, don't be surprised if many insurance companies refuse to insure you with an M1. Increasingly an M2 is the minimum they will accept, with successful completion of the training course becoming more commonly required as well by some insurers.

Isn't the M2 course a road/closed road circuit course? How are you suppose to practice for your M2 if no one will insure you with an M1

Isn't the M2 course a road/closed road circuit course? How are you suppose to practice for your M2 if no one will insure you with an M1

M1 exit courses include the bike. It's a 3 day thing, classroom Friday evening and then all day sat and sun on the bikes. When you pass the testing on Sunday they submit it to the MTO for you and you are eligible for your M2 once the 60 day period from you writing your M1 has elapsed.

Sadly I don't know anyone else who rides... I don't mind paying a premium for having a M1 for a few months anyways.

Most insurance companies will not lower your rates mid policy, so if you have the policy written as an M1 rider...you'll pay that rate for a full 12 months regardless if you get your M2 60 days later.

The other problem you may have is that the MTO (assuming you go that way vs a training course option) only does M1 exit testing up until the end of October IIRC. You may not be even able to get one of their road tests after 60 days from this weekend when you plan to write your M1, and the M1 expires 90 days later.

Seriously, your best bet at this point is to invest the money in the course. Look it up, many colleges offer it in Toronto.

I HIGHLY suggest you take the advise to take the M2 course. Having your M2 will lower your insurance cost and having the M2 course will reduce it even more. One insurance company I talked to recently classified M2 with a course the same rate as if I had my full M license. Aside from the discounts, you learn how to ride (I can promise you will learn something new) and safety. This isn't the dorky "uncool" safety either, it's basics along with good tips on how to SURVIVE. The M2 course is pretty fun too. The bikes are relatively small/light, you get to try lots of different styles (sport, dirt, etc) and you get lots of seat time. When you do some of the slow speed drills in the empty parking lot you'll quickly understand the value of the course and you'll be ready when you have your 400lbs+ bike at Costco :)

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on buying a motorcycle, my first one ever. I'm signing up to get my M1 license this weekend and was looking around at bikes.

I'm currently 25 years old, clean driving record, had my G license since 16 (G1 then full G at 17-18), and under my parents insurance policy which they've had for probably 20-30 years.

The insurance on my truck along with all of my other family members vehicles are already quite low due to the amount of years my parents have had the policy with the company.

I'm curious to know, what do you guys think my insurance would be for a CBR400-600/Ninja 400-600? I'm not looking at getting the RR editions, just the standard one as I'm not planning on being an idiot with it, and don't want to have something too powerful as my first bike. Although, I would prefer it to be a bigger bike, since I'm 6'4''.

I couldn't find any posts about people getting quotes from The Cooperators (which is what my insurance company is), so I'm hoping those who have had experience with them, can chime in.

• Go book your M1 Exit Course (i recommend Learning Curves) BEFORE writing your M1. You only have a limited window to graduate to M2 or you'll lose it.
  • Co-Operators do not insure bikes, i know, i have my car with them and tried.
  • Contact Mitchell and Whale in the insurance section of the boards here, they did me a solid as a first time rider.

Yeah, Cooperators doesnt insure the bikes I was looking at.
they told me to call Riders Plus and they said they'll insure the Suzuki GS500 and Ninja 300, but not a 600.

they said with some course (already forgot), the 500 would be 1600 a year, and the 300 is 1400 a year, full coverage.

They said with some course (already forgot)

You really need to go back and actually read some of the responses people are making.

Hey everyone,

If you are that tall, I'd suggest a bigger bike. I'm 6'1 and I started on a 600 (R6).
I've rode my friends bikes afterwards (CBR500 and Ninja300) and they kindly made me aware of the fact that I looked ridiculous on the bike. If image or aesthetics is a non issue to you, then you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Also, if you've already told yourself a 600rr is too much to handle, I'd suggest you stay away from it. Mentality is half the battle.

Check out Mitchell and ?.

You really need to go back and actually read some of the responses people are making.

I was at work, didn't have time.

So I shouls bldo my M1 exit course before I even get my M1, or just book it before booking my M1 caue it takes awhile to get in?

Do I need to have a bike before taking the exit course?

I'm from the Burlington area, anyone know of a training place around there?

I was at work, didn't have time.

So I shouls bldo my M1 exit course before I even get my M1, or just book it before booking my M1 caue it takes awhile to get in?

Do I need to have a bike before taking the exit course?

I'm from the Burlington area, anyone know of a training place around there?

Evoex answered that question here:

• Go book your M1 Exit Course (i recommend Learning Curves) BEFORE writing your M1. You only have a limited window to graduate to M2 or you'll lose it.

You should take time to read the replies you're getting.

:confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom