New Rider beginning to get it and things I have noticed. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider beginning to get it and things I have noticed.

Never even consider a seat belt thing but I have been on bikes since I was a kid. Sweat is easy to understand in this humid climate on warm days.

I just got an airbag vest, and I have to latch/unlatch it to/from my bike every time. So now I have relearn the "seat belt" habit.

I just saw something about that on Facebook, so it's real and available?

Starting with a full decker is going to slow your learning curve - as you've discovered a big fully loaded cruiser is the motorcycle equivalent of a tank, and not really conducive to easy stress free learning. ;)

Empty parking lots and industrial areas on weekends (where you can ride on the street but traffic will be light) is your friend at this point. It's all about saddle time to get your comfort level up.

I'm only about 20 mins east of you (minus traffic) so if you every want to do coffee or anything let me know.

Haha yes it is a heavy beast. I actually tipped it over a couple of weeks ago, sumting stupid I did on the driveway.

Yes that sounds like a great offer. Let me PM you and we can go from there.

Op. Congrats and nice bike. I've been on the fence making the leap to a touring bike but, I'm still enjoying the two machines I've got.

I know you're a tall fella and all. So you can flat foot it and move it around. In all honesty, going slow on a big machine is the hardest part. Parking, turning and such.

I believe the 2012 has the 103". Lots of torque, 6 spd.

Don't let the revs drop too low. They do have a lot of grunt but lugging these big machines don't help the bottom end much. Don't be afraid to get the tach above 3k. It won't break.

Once rolling and up to speed in 3rd gear and above, it's really an easy bike to handle.

Can't remember if the 12 has ABS and if it's linked or not? Could be an option?

In any case, get used to some hard braking. Use the back brake to help. HD brake feel is actually vague compared to others. Being your first bike, you might not feel that way but, trust me. Other brands have smoother and easier modulation.

So get it up to speed and find out how much space you need to bring it to a stop.

As mentioned, take it for a ride when traffic is light.

Find some roads less travelled.

Leave the stereo alone. Leave the cruise alone.
Just use the toe shift for now. Don't mess with the heal shift until you are really comfy.

Get yourself a manual and find out the maintenance schedule. Inspect the belt tension, don't over fill the oil. It will puke out the air filter and make a mess.

Check the tire pressure.

And put some miles on.

Practice like you have.

Love the white, it's a nice bike.

Good luck!

We are on the same page here!

Yes it is the 103 6 speed with ABS. I have to see if it is linked. I didn't think it would be as I thought that was more newer and maybe a Honda thing? It doesn't have a stereo (ex police bike), but I have the manual!

Oh yes on the low RPM's I have noticed when too low it will feel like stalling, but at the same time I am getting the feel for the throttle and keeping it smooth.

Yep, they're real and available, but still a bit pricey. I'm wearing a hit-air vest in this pic. I got it at Speedworx (Racer5) in Markham. I know GP bikes and motostarz also carry airbag vests as well.
d9696a7da52613accabdbaa0b13984bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So i did my course in 2012-13 if i remember well, only got my bike 2.5 years ago as we expected a little one and had to reprioritize.

I got it from a Sudbury dealer at a great deal for a brand new 2013 bike that had never been ridden. I was supposed to do the whole ride up in april and back down.... was a bit much, and it was still iced over there. A week before the date we had set, they told me they were delivering a few bikes around barrie/wasaga area so they offered to deliver it there. Went up by go bus, met with them, bike worked fine. They leave, bike won't start. OMG. Thought i f'ed up. After calling them and having them walkthrough, they come back to that spot and realize its a dead battery!
After installing it, we were seeing dark grey clouds rolling in...they asked where i was headed after that i told them Mississauga. Turns out 2 days prior the brampton dealer needed to get some bikes from them so i got a ride from them. Thank god, cause it poured like nobody's business on our way down (i think i wouldve died hahaha). So i ended up riding from brampton to south mississauga on my first day on Mississauga road-Erin Mills, before it was all developed, nice and scenic after that stressful morning.

It took me 2 days to try the highway with some friends who also rode (they were on SS i was on my cb500x) it was WINNNDYYY so it was "scary" at first but then got used to it pretty quick and before long i was commuting daily to work on the bike :)

Yep, they're real and available, but still a bit pricey. I'm wearing a hit-air vest in this pic. I got it at Speedworx (Racer5) in Markham. I know GP bikes and motostarz also carry airbag vests as well.

LOOOOOVE the bike. When i grow up, i'll get one of those

IIRC Newman was wearing one when he jumped off his bike at close to 300km/h and walked away relatively unharmed. I can't find the video, but it is on GTAM somewhere.

That's you? I've seen you multiple times on the ducati scrambler going along Leslie or 16th. I didnt know because you have a completely different helmet than your display picture. Lol

LOOOOOVE the bike. When i grow up, i'll get one of those
lol me too, I was just doing a test ride. Super fun bike.
That's you? I've seen you multiple times on the ducati scrambler going along Leslie or 16th. I didnt know because you have a completely different helmet than your display picture. Lol
lol yep that's me. Been favoring this new helmet since I got it in May. Time to update the avatar I guess. PM me if you want to go riding some time.

Last edited:
That is indeed a weird first bike

My bike is carburated, therefore does smell a bit like fuel in the garage

Clutch control is probably somewhat related to the bike. On cars clutches have different feel also. Stiffness as well. Just need more time to get accustomed to such a big bike, i would think.

Then again, what do I know :)

Finally got some more riding in after a bit of a break. Actually I think taking a break from practicing riding let it all sink in.
I felt much better on the bike when I got back on it. I went out into live traffic and explored different roadways etc. Did two 2 hour sessions this past Saturday. Which is the longest I have rode so far.
The break in between was really needed. Still building up my stamina it seems.

Do you all have massive clutch hands as well? After the day I really needed to relax my hand. I guess this will improve over time.

Finally got some more riding in after a bit of a break. Actually I think taking a break from practicing riding let it all sink in.
I felt much better on the bike when I got back on it. I went out into live traffic and explored different roadways etc. Did two 2 hour sessions this past Saturday. Which is the longest I have rode so far.
The break in between was really needed. Still building up my stamina it seems.

Do you all have massive clutch hands as well? After the day I really needed to relax my hand. I guess this will improve over time.

What year is your EG? HD are notorious for heavy clutch pull.

There is some help in the after market. But it can get spendy real quick.

eBay is your friend. Or a trip across the boarder for some help.

Glad your enjoying the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! It is a 2012 EG.

Went out for another longer ride tonight. Man riding makes me super hungry. Luckily I stopped by my cousins who had some food in Ajax then back on the road to Scarborough.

Back
Top Bottom