New Rider beginning to get it and things I have noticed. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider beginning to get it and things I have noticed.

sburns

Hey All

Just got my M2 after taking the learning curves course at the end of July.
Then bought a bike, a used 2012 HD Electra glide police.

Ya ya, it is my first bike, maybe too much I dunno yet. Yes heavy as ****, kinda got caught off guard with that one. But I have gotten use to it, and moving it around in neutral. All I have been doing is puttering around my neighborhood trying to master the clutch control and first gear. Usually about an hour at a time. The Rider like Pro, and other YouTube videos have been a great help figuring stuff out.

Some stuff I have noticed. Maybe all beginners go through this.
It's weird not putting on seat belt. Usually the first thing I do once I start my car.
I get so freaking hungry after just an hour of riding.
Sweat like crazy (ride in full gear always), almost like a workout.
The bike stinks when parking the garage. Need to leave it open for a bit to let the fumes out.

Anyhow still working on clutch control. The instructors from the course said this was the main thing to learn.
Once I feel more comfortable with the clutch and doing things smoothly I plan to do some traffic rides.
I don't mind taking things slow as I would like to enjoy this for very long term.

Curious how did some of you all start out in the beginning? When did you go out in traffic etc.

Fwiw I'm a big boy and I think that bike is a big bike even for me.
I rode in traffic as soon as I bought my bike. I had to get it home.
Imho, keep to the side streets, maybe head to an empty parking lot as well.
Take it easy, get used to bike and take it from there.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Congrats on the new steed.

I bought my bike in the country and rode it home, so light traffic pretty much right away. Don't compare yourself to others though. Do what you feel ready for, if you push yourself into a situation you aren't ready for you will probably make a bad decision at that point.

Most riders find that turning in one direction is much easier than the other. This is normal, you will get over it.

Buy some mesh gear for hot weather. It provides less protection, but when you get too hot you make bad decisions which makes it more likely that you will need your gear to protect you.

Congrats!
Rode my first bike home from the dealership, went past home and kept riding. Took the S turn on Dundas a bit wide was the only issue on that first ride. Kept riding since. It was a 450.

Seat belt thing doesn't register cause it's a different set of muscle memory.
Sweat when it warm and geared up always....even with mesh.
Bike gets parked in the garage right away, no stink....or I just don't notice it anymore after all this time.

Got m2, bought gs500, was on highway on my way to work next day.
Always felt comfortable on it.

It's nothing personal to you, but every time I see people saying they need 30 hours of practice before they get out of a parking lot I think.....I'm not actually comfortable with you on the road.
Some guy (I think on gtam) said he logged like 200km in his underground parking garage..... That makes me nervous.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When you venture out into the wild of the main streets is up to you. What I will say is the type of riding your doing right now, the slow speed 1st gear kind of stuff is the hardest actual part of riding the specific bike you have. It'll start feeling a lot lighter and more nimble as you pick up the speed a bit.

Go out on a weekend morning at like 6 a.m. and see how you make out riding outside of the neighbourhood. It'll take a lot less effort and an added bonus you'll cool down a bit from the breeze as you pick the speed up a bit. Good luck!

I didn't get a bike until a few months after taking the course, because I never really intended on getting a bike - it was just a bucket list thing to get the license. I forgot most of what was taught in the course and so I only rode early mornings on weekends and late evenings on weekdays in the downtown core until I was safe to ride longer distances and in traffic - probably about a month or two.

I remember one day I had to go downtown for something and coming home along Lakeshore (first time) I was passing by the Prince's gates at the CNE and I was in the right lane. I was only going the speed limit and I couldn't keep my bike in my lane no matter how ineptly I tried to navigate the curve and slowly drifted over the middle lane and into the left lane. I pulled over and wondered how it was physically possible for a bike to navigate that turn at the speed limit.

Then I started riding from Lansdowne and Bloor to Humber College area always taking different backroads - did this many times over a month or two. After about 3-4 months total riding I started hitting up the highway to go up to Georgian Bay area to visit the folks. Slowly started getting better at moving at faster speeds but I was still utterly dangerous in the curves.

The following year I had an epiphany of sorts. I was riding through Awenda Park and it was totally desolate. It's about 6km of a tighter winding road. I started to move a bit quicker and smoother in the turns and focusing my attention on entry speed, being in the best gear for the curve, and moving as smoothly as possible through the turn, etc, etc. I went up and down that 6km stretch about 10 times in a row and it totally changed my riding after that. I still sucked big time, but at least I was safer.

My biggest problem was doing it all alone. If I had an experienced rider who was safe and competent, I could have shaved years off my ineptitude.

Moral of my story - practice by yourself for a while as you are doing, but also start riding with another good person or two in a low pressure type setting and then after a year or two gradually move up to taking more courses to refine and further your skills.

I used to get hungry riding - now I can ride for 4-6 hours without eating, because I'm expending so little energy concentrating and being nervous despite being so enthralled by what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback.

Wow I can't believe how many of you rode home from the dealer, amazing. I had them deliver it.

The earlier morning thing is a great idea. I'm in Scarborough near Pickering which has easy access to some great country roads. This might be the best way to do it. I've been doing most of my riding late a night when not much else is going on.

Hah that underground garage thing is pretty strange.

I have managed to get out of my neighborhood to coronation street, which is pretty much all industrial.
There is also a lot of construction on Morningside which is also limiting me, and well I'd rather not deal with the big hills just yet.

Got m2, bought gs500, was on highway on my way to work next day.
Always felt comfortable on it.

It's nothing personal to you, but every time I see people saying they need 30 hours of practice before they get out of a parking lot I think.....I'm not actually comfortable with you on the road.
Some guy (I think on gtam) said he logged like 200km in his underground parking garage..... That makes me nervous.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm far less comfortable with someone who practiced than someone who didn't; we were all newbies once.

I just got an airbag vest, and I have to latch/unlatch it to/from my bike every time. So now I have relearn the "seat belt" habit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wow 200kms in a lot

I rode a bunch of demo rides before i even got the bike

Starting with a full decker is going to slow your learning curve - as you've discovered a big fully loaded cruiser is the motorcycle equivalent of a tank, and not really conducive to easy stress free learning. ;)

Empty parking lots and industrial areas on weekends (where you can ride on the street but traffic will be light) is your friend at this point. It's all about saddle time to get your comfort level up.

I'm only about 20 mins east of you (minus traffic) so if you every want to do coffee or anything let me know.

Op. Congrats and nice bike. I've been on the fence making the leap to a touring bike but, I'm still enjoying the two machines I've got.

I know you're a tall fella and all. So you can flat foot it and move it around. In all honesty, going slow on a big machine is the hardest part. Parking, turning and such.

I believe the 2012 has the 103". Lots of torque, 6 spd.

Don't let the revs drop too low. They do have a lot of grunt but lugging these big machines don't help the bottom end much. Don't be afraid to get the tach above 3k. It won't break.

Once rolling and up to speed in 3rd gear and above, it's really an easy bike to handle.

Can't remember if the 12 has ABS and if it's linked or not? Could be an option?

In any case, get used to some hard braking. Use the back brake to help. HD brake feel is actually vague compared to others. Being your first bike, you might not feel that way but, trust me. Other brands have smoother and easier modulation.

So get it up to speed and find out how much space you need to bring it to a stop.

As mentioned, take it for a ride when traffic is light.

Find some roads less travelled.

Leave the stereo alone. Leave the cruise alone.
Just use the toe shift for now. Don't mess with the heal shift until you are really comfy.

Get yourself a manual and find out the maintenance schedule. Inspect the belt tension, don't over fill the oil. It will puke out the air filter and make a mess.

Check the tire pressure.

And put some miles on.

Practice like you have.

Love the white, it's a nice bike.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...I don't think any of my bikes even woke up till above that RPM.

Lol. Unfortunately I read too many posts on Hd forums with riders operating their machines like a vintage caddy. Trying to keep the engine just above idle and below 2k.

Also lots for touring riders that cruise at 80-100 kph in 6th and then complain the bike is sluggish to pass.

Sure it's big V twin with plenty of torque but, gear it down and it will pass just fine.

Some of them don't have a tach to even notice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...I don't think any of my bikes even woke up till above that RPM.

Big V-Twins are different beasts.

I'm not afraid to run mine down low through towns etc (up until the point that it starts to lug), nor am I afraid to drop a gear or two on the highway and really thrash it for passing and such. I agree, some people baby their engines ridiculously.

as others have noted, the parking lot practice is a good idea
slow speed handling for a new rider with a heavy bike will be a problem

as for traffic, once you're more comfortable, you already know how to drive
so just get out and do it, focus on the vehicles, not what you're doing with bike controls

I started at 16 years old, first vehicle was an RD350.....bought it and went straight out into traffic
figuring out how to control the bike and drive in traffic at the same time - had never driven a car
16 year olds do a lot of stupid things, good on ya for being cautious OP

油井緋色;2520946 said:
I'm far less comfortable with someone who practiced than someone who didn't; we were all newbies once.
This.

I'm only about 20 mins east of you (minus traffic) so if you every want to do coffee or anything let me know.

@Sburns this is a great offer from a good guy that I would absolutely accept if I was in your shoes.

Back
Top Bottom