I rode a wee-Strom and I'm not disappointed | GTAMotorcycle.com

I rode a wee-Strom and I'm not disappointed

Clem

My son bought his first real bike this year. A 2017 650 V-Strom XT. My GS is in the shop having the rear seal replaced so I just spent a few days on his doing Bruce Peninsula, Manitoulin Island and back home through Parry Sound.

My only real V-Strom experience was a 2008 V-Strom 1000 that I rented for 4 days. It was OK but Meh….

I’ll start off on a negative note. Getting off the GS the first thing I noticed was the power, or lack off it. There is nothing low down and it took a while to actually get used to actively shifting again. Having said that, the engine is buttery smooth and likes to rev, with only a slight vibration in the bars and pegs. Spending time above 6 or 7 RPM seems to be where this engine is most comfortable and after 2 days I was getting used to the engine and quite enjoying it. It’s really easy to ride and very well mannered. It would be no problem spending all day between 100 and 120. I was riding with the traction control set to 1 and it was really un-intrusive, although it was dry.

It’s a small bike compared to the GS and from what I remember of the V-Strom 1000. I’m only 5’8” but can comfortable hold the bike up with both feet. Even on some off road section with slippery loose sand/dirt and gravel it was never an issue (He has already changed the tires to TKC80’s). It seems really light as well, especially for a bike that’s probably about 500Lbs with luggage.

Ergos are great. Seat is all day comfortable and there is hardly any buffeting. All the wind went over my head and the wrap around hand guards are a nice feature. A pet peeve with the GS are the bars. I’ve had shoulder surgery and after 3 or 4 hours or so, particularly slabbing it, I need to take a long break. The bars on the V-Strom were much better. They felt narrower and in a more natural position. Maybe its time to replace the ones on the GS.

The 2 areas I expected to be disappointed with were Brakes and Suspension. The Brakes worked quite well. Two fingers for regular stops, 3 for more assertive braking. The suspension is not adjustable up front but worked well. I would have preferred a little more damping - maybe that just getting off the Telelever front end – and if it were mine I’d probably do springs and Racetech emulators. The back worked OK when I dialed up the pre-load a little. If I were going to spend money on it, it would definitely be the suspension.

I like the styling and the stacked headlights. It reminds me a little of the DR-Big. The body work does a good job of pushing the wind around you.

I think Suzuki did a good job. I liked it. If I was in the market for an Versys 650, BMW F700GS, or an NC700, I would also have a serious look at this.

Last edited:
The power issue you mention, sounds more rider related, than bike or engine, "it took a while to actually get used to actively shifting again". Learn to shift. Shifting is fun!

Maybe be a scooter would be more in line with your needs?
You don't have to shift, they have a 650 cc engine, and they go like stink!

Otherwise, move back to the big bike and just leave it in second gear.

Take the NC700 off your list, you'll be constantly bouncing off the rev limiter, if the Wee seems underpowered.

There's a Yamaha that looks like a copy of a Wee or Versys that you might want to look at.

Thanks for the honest review. I'm looking at replacement bikes for my 2011 V-Strom 650, so if you can come off a GS1200 and be happy enough with the 650Strom that's good to hear.

How much km's did you get off each tank?
Is the newest 2017 DL650 on premium fuel too?

I've been looking at the 2017 650 with the beak, would love to pick one up. Fits my height perfectly, and it's the style of bike I really want to upgrade to next. Maybe next year!

Thanks for the honest review. I'm looking at replacement bikes for my 2011 V-Strom 650, so if you can come off a GS1200 and be happy enough with the 650Strom that's good to hear.

How much km's did you get off each tank?
Is the newest 2017 DL650 on premium fuel too?

I was filling up between 250 and 280Km and it took around 16-17 Litres.

I was also filling up with Regular, and it didn't seem to complain, but I should really check that just incase.

Its very different than the GS but once I got used to it I really enjoyed riding it. I think if it was my daily driver the power is more than enough. It felt really nice at around 120, even 130 and I rarely go much faster than that

The build quality seems really good. I think that Suzuki in general have stepped up here in the past few years. The 12v plug is also nice if you want to run some accessories.

The power issue you mention, sounds more rider related, than bike or engine, "it took a while to actually get used to actively shifting again". Learn to shift. Shifting is fun!

I fully agree that shifting is fun, an unloaded Wee is a very fun bike to ride. However, when mine is loaded for touring (probably an extra 100-120lbs) it does become a bit anemic at highway speeds, regardless of the gear

Last edited:
As for the lack of power, I know that when riding with litre bikes in the twisty roads, I have always wished for just a touch more throttle when exiting the corners. Loaded up for touring it did just fine as a 650, as long as I don't expect it to pull like a bigger bike. It's been a long time since I owned or even rode anything larger than a 650.

I do yearn for some fancy suspension though.

I have never ridden the previous 650, but this is one supposed to have 5-6 more HP and a lot more mid range. It would be interesting to ride them back to back. I would imaging ~10% more HP would be noticeable.

Last edited:
Rode a couple of GS's on BMW demo days (a 2012 and a few years later, the updated GSW 2015) and was immediately struck how they both felt like a much lighter bike....like my bike. The differences were an awesome suspension adjustment option that made the road to your liking (rough or as smooth as butter) and the fact that I never needed to get out of 4th gear even when cruising. So that would mean I would likely rarely ever use the top two gears, but more likely want to use the top two gears and cruise at 150 km all day and suffer the legal penalties. Better then for me not to have that bike, although it is absolutely the ultimate ride.

Plus the fact that the GS loaded, is 3 times the cost of my bike, does not make for 3 times the fun. Plus the fact my bike doesn't spend as much time (actually never) in the shop. Plus the fact I tend to worry and be overly protective of expensive things I own and it then becomes the case where my possessions actually own me! So as a solo rider the 650 is plenty of power and bike....and no worries!!

Last edited:
I have had a lot of saddle on both the DL650 and DL1000 - you nailed it.
The 650 is way more fun, the 1000 just a tank.
Glad you enjoyed the experience !

The 650 sans luggage is really quite a nimble machine. Everytime I come back from a trip then pull the bags ....the difference is quite remarkable.

I do yearn for some fancy suspension though.

That's my biggest complaint with smaller displacement bikes. Their price-point suspension often needs serious tweaking to work properly. Next bike must be safely usable out of the box. I'm not losing any weight to please the bean-counters.

That's my biggest complaint with smaller displacement bikes. Their price-point suspension often needs serious tweaking to work properly. Next bike must be safely usable out of the box. I'm not losing any weight to please the bean-counters.

You might need to get some height chopped off somewhere then too. Bikes are made for a certain size person, just as cars are.

tall-william-engessor.png

You might need to get some height chopped off somewhere then too. Bikes are made for a certain size person, just as cars are.

Seat-to-peg distance and angle is definitely a bugbear for me, but not due to height. For whatever reason my knees hate crouching. That's why I went with the Big Burg. Those running boards let me wander.

I have been a fan of the wee for a long time. I am seriously considering one come spring. My big decision (if I go with a Wee) is do I go with the new 2017+ or do I try and find a new non-current 2016? Both styles have pros and cons in my eyes. I prefer the styling on the 2016 (sans beak) but I like how the 2017 should be able to have symmetrical bags. I love the aluminum Givi luggage but always think they older stroms look a little weird with 2 different sized bags on the back. However the new ones have 2 or 3 mode traction control and I can't for the life of me figure out why a bike with 70ish HP needs traction control. 90% of Wee's never get beyond a gravel road. New gizmos are nice, but I always wonder how they'll hold up in 10yrs time (how long I usually keep a bike). Anyways, choosing is a nice problem to have!

Purchased a 2017 Super Duke GT, and have a 2012 DL650 Vstrom, just could not sell her. Both have different experiences. The Strom has been bullet proof at 65,000 kms she still sports the original chain and nothing has needed replacement. The ride is waaaay more comfortable wind/noise wise (Givi) and is way more of a hoot on gravel/dirt roads. I find the power sufficient off the line, but passing on highways/rolling acceleration is a little lack luster. For tarmac group rides every Sunday, the GT. For solo rides I prefer the Vstrom, looking for non paved, non traveled concession roads where the forest envelops the rider.. Vstrom all the way.

Back
Top Bottom