EARPLUGS - Custom DIY - where did you get yours? | GTAMotorcycle.com

EARPLUGS - Custom DIY - where did you get yours?

I've got a couple of sets and they perform well. Takes a bit of work to get the fit customized, but that's what the directions tell ya.

I got some at a bike show 2 or three years ago. Nu-life Hearing Centre.

http://nulifehearing.com/contact-us/

I think I paid $120-150 for 2 sets shipped at the show. They're pricey but I still use them to this day so money well spent in my opinion.

Last edited:
Vendors are always selling them at the Super show in January ...If you are willing to wait that long...

I have a rule that I won't buy anything from a vendor that uses a "z" on place of an "s".
Costco still does them iirc

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Any reason you can't just use standard plugs? I go to Home Depot and pick up a pack of these once or twice a season:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Reusable-Corded-Earplugs-3-Pack-90716-3-10DC/202195388

I cut off the lanyard, trim the ends to produce little nubs to make them easy to pull out.

They're very effective, comfortable, last a long time, are easy to clean and are cheap.

I used those but found they hurt my ears on long multi hour rides, I like that the custom ones sit flat in my ear and don't extend beyond my ear canal in the slightest. They don't rub against the inner liner of the helmet. Basically, it doesn't feel like I've got something stuck in my ear.

I bought pair of molded plugs at January show and found that they weren't actually completely tight fitting so still had some wind noise. A friend said just use the simple plugs you get at the drug store, roll them into a tighter cylinder, and pull open your ear with opposite hand and they go all the way into the ear canal an expand to shut out wind noise always. There are you tube video's. This is much more economical and always works.

34CNoxU.jpg

I use these. Hands down the best ones I've used so far and I've tried other foams, reusable plugs. I've given some to a few friends and now, they don't use anything else. Nothing beats disposable!

If the outside edge of the earplugs are rubbing on your helmet you don't have the earplugs in far enough.

The biggest mistake a lot of people make with foam earplugs is simply not inserting them properly - you need to top them very tight and *quickly* insert them before they begin expanding. Done properly the disposable earplugs work as good or better than custom earplugs, and they are comfortable.

I've always used (and found extraordinarily comfortable) the foam plugs with a flame on them.

As others have said, when properly installed, there should be no possible way they touch your helmet.

Costco.

My fiancee is an audiologist. She took an imprint of my ear and made motorcycle plugs out of them. These are specially molded plugs that do not protrude out due to us wearing a helmet. I went to a few trackdays with them and most of my group ended up getting them from her after. Total cost was $73.44 but they may be discontinued due to lack of profit.

I bought pair of molded plugs at January show and found that they weren't actually completely tight fitting so still had some wind noise. A friend said just use the simple plugs you get at the drug store, roll them into a tighter cylinder, and pull open your ear with opposite hand and they go all the way into the ear canal an expand to shut out wind noise always. There are you tube video's. This is much more economical and always works.

You should contact the vendor who sold you the plugs at the show. They should redo the mold they took of your ear and make you another set for free.
D

If the outside edge of the earplugs are rubbing on your helmet you don't have the earplugs in far enough.

The biggest mistake a lot of people make with foam earplugs is simply not inserting them properly - you need to top them very tight and *quickly* insert them before they begin expanding. Done properly the disposable earplugs work as good or better than custom earplugs, and they are comfortable.

I am curious how you came to this conclusion. I have compared at least 4 brands of foam plugs to my custom ones. None of them are as quiet. Some foam plugs are very comfortable, and I may switch out the custom plugs on a 8 or 10 hour ride. The customs can be tiring after many hours of use. But the difference in sound reduction is quite obvious. If you have custom plugs from an audiologist and they are noisier then foam plugs, it's likely time for a new set.

After years of trying a variety of disposable plugs, I was fitted for some custom ones at the Ajax Costco. The staff there were excellent. The custom earplugs work well and I find them very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom