KTM 2T's vs Others | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM 2T's vs Others

Bike is mostly for woods riding however I'd like to start doing some track riding again s both would be tried there I'm sure.
Thanks for the input folks.

ZX600 - I believe it may have been you I chatted with about your YZ about a month back while loading up at Ganny.

ok.
What the hell do I need 6 speeds in the woods? I like technical stuff as any monkey can go fast in a straight. Don't need electric start, my 2 stroke starts first kick, would be nice to have but not a necessity, same as the clutch. I don't need lights, I got no business being in the woods at night. As for the tank, I can ride two hours straight with mine, I don't mind taking a trek back to the car to refuel however I do recognize that out of everything you said a bigger tank is probably the mood most people would do, for me I am perfectly happy with either one of my YZs.

6 spd is for racing, you need to get down those fire roads fast. Electric start is nice after riding for a long time, it seems like a small amount of energy to kick it over but it can suck if you're already exhausted also if you get stuck on a steep hill and stall you're going back to the bottom to start over without it. Lights are actually good in the woods, oncoming riders can see you easier. Bigger tank is good for racing as well.

The parts are there for the yz250x to upgrade it to a better off-road machine but the ktm has them already. You pay a bit more for the ktm though.

ZX600 - I believe it may have been you I chatted with about your YZ about a month back while loading up at Ganny.

No way, green jeep? that was me.

I talk to someone pretty much every ride , i get along with dirt riders, not so much with street riders. Were you with a girl in a 4 wheeler? what did your bike look like?

Last edited:
6 spd is for racing, you need to get down those fire roads fast. Electric start is nice after riding for a long time, it seems like a small amount of energy to kick it over but it can suck if you're already exhausted also if you get stuck on a steep hill and stall you're going back to the bottom to start over without it. Lights are actually good in the woods, oncoming riders can see you easier. Bigger tank is good for racing as well.

The parts are there for the yz250x to upgrade it to a better off-road machine but the ktm has them already. You pay a bit more for the ktm though.

All those things are nice, no doubt but not necessary, You don't need to tell me about being exhausted trying to kick the bike lol.

Don't get me wrong, If you give me a choice to have or not have I would say yes of course but I wouldn't be going to buy them separately to be happy.

I think the KTM is a bit more than just a bit more :) - I would get one if I felt those things were the difference between enjoying riding or not. As a matter of fact I am perfectly happy when I ride the 05 yz without all the woods mods the 2017 X has.

I think KTMs then Betas are at the top of the pile, then the YZ at the bottom but answering specifically to the point of having to buy those things to be happy with the bike I would disagree.

Last edited:
No way, green jeep? that was me.

I talk to someone pretty much every ride , i get along with dirt riders, not so much with street riders. Were you with a girl in a 4 wheeler? what did your bike look like?
Yes I was on my YZ450 and had my gf with me on the ATV. I inquired how you liked the 250x after spotting your GTAM sticker on the Jeep parked beside me.

Last edited:
All those things are nice, no doubt but not necessary, You don't need to tell me about being exhausted trying to kick the bike lol.

Don't get me wrong, If you give me a choice to have or not have I would say yes of course but I wouldn't be going to buy them separately to be happy.

I think the KTM is a bit more than just a bit more :) - I would get one if I felt those things were the difference between enjoying riding or not. As a matter of fact I am perfectly happy when I ride the 05 yz without all the woods mods the 2017 X has.

I think KTMs then Betas are at the top of the pile, then the YZ at the bottom but answering specifically to the point of having to buy those things to be happy with the bike I would disagree.

Point is, by the time you were to add these things to your YZ it would cost a lot more then just starting with the KTM. If you wanted to get competitive with the Yamaha it's going to cost a bit.

I'm not saying you need anything to enjoy riding, my RM has brush guards and a gearing change and I'm happy with how it works but if I were to get competitive I'd.....well you know what I'd do already lol.

I have been riding KTM 2 strokes for the past 10yrs and drive out to Colorado once a year with a group of guys.
From what I have witnessed the KTM's handle a beating (cartwheeling down a hill) and survive to ride several days.
A few guys have brought Japanese bikes and they don't seem to handle the beating nearly as well. Maybe all they need is a change in armor or bars and a heavier flywheel.

The new Yamaha YZ250X is considerably lower in price when comparing to a new KTM.
I would like to ride one and see if there is any difference beyond Estart and clutch otherwise it looks good to me.

I sold my 2008 KTM 250 xcw to buy a 2017 KTM 300 xcw this spring.
The '17 with Mikuni carb was impossible to jet (even with help from 2 dealers and the KTM forum) so I reluctantly bought a Lectron carb.
The bike runs perfectly now but when buying a $10k plus bike you should not have to buy a U$500 carb as well.

I love riding dirt bikes and it's hard to admit but I don't think the upgrade to my '17 was worth all the money.

Happy Riding!

I got a yz250X - Since I want to ride a KTM to see what all the fuss is about, let's ride and switch bikes! I am always at the Ganny but I can come anywhere.
I have been riding KTM 2 strokes for the past 10yrs and drive out to Colorado once a year with a group of guys.
From what I have witnessed the KTM's handle a beating (cartwheeling down a hill) and survive to ride several days.
A few guys have brought Japanese bikes and they don't seem to handle the beating nearly as well. Maybe all they need is a change in armor or bars and a heavier flywheel.

The new Yamaha YZ250X is considerably lower in price when comparing to a new KTM.
I would like to ride one and see if there is any difference beyond Estart and clutch otherwise it looks good to me.

I sold my 2008 KTM 250 xcw to buy a 2017 KTM 300 xcw this spring.
The '17 with Mikuni carb was impossible to jet (even with help from 2 dealers and the KTM forum) so I reluctantly bought a Lectron carb.
The bike runs perfectly now but when buying a $10k plus bike you should not have to buy a U$500 carb as well.

I love riding dirt bikes and it's hard to admit but I don't think the upgrade to my '17 was worth all the money.

Happy Riding!

Ok, solid no then lol
I got a yz250X - Since I want to ride a KTM to see what all the fuss is about, let's ride and switch bikes! I am always at the Ganny but I can come anywhere.

The one thing I am slowly learning about my TE300 is that the front end (4CS) is really not as good as stock Kyaba off YZ250X. Supposedly, my bike was even re-valved by previous owner with RaceTech gold valves, yet the forks are still so stiff, compared to the Kyaba, especially in the initial part of the stroke. Just locking the front brake on the YZ and rocking the bike, I can see the forks moving like a butter .... my bike not so and that is with all clickers out, as lose as possible. Ridiculous ... since looking around on the net, you find out that most people have the forks re-tuned. Go figure, most tuners state that they actually love the 4CS fork ... LOL ... how could they not??

So definitely plus points for YZ in the forks department, since they are probably the best out of box ... for trail riding that is.

He hasn't logged in since Sept 12. He hasn't even seen your message.
Cool, I was just joking anyways

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

The one thing I am slowly learning about my TE300 is that the front end (4CS) is really not as good as stock Kyaba off YZ250X. Supposedly, my bike was even re-valved by previous owner with RaceTech gold valves, yet the forks are still so stiff, compared to the Kyaba, especially in the initial part of the stroke. Just locking the front brake on the YZ and rocking the bike, I can see the forks moving like a butter .... my bike not so and that is with all clickers out, as lose as possible. Ridiculous ... since looking around on the net, you find out that most people have the forks re-tuned. Go figure, most tuners state that they actually love the 4CS fork ... LOL ... how could they not??

So definitely plus points for YZ in the forks department, since they are probably the best out of box ... for trail riding that is.
Way too soft off the crate but much better once you set the sag and such.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom