KTM 2T's vs Others | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM 2T's vs Others

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
I'd like to add a 250 2T to my garage to go alongside the YZ450F. I grew up on motocross 2T's but have no experience with the KTM's so I'm intrigued.
Hearing a lot more horror stories about them compared to others but still many think they're God's gift to offroad.
So worth the hype or should I stick to a Japanese model (keep in mind it's a second bike so I won't be buying new).

If I'm you and have a yz450 already I'm buying a yz250. One dealer to hit up for parts, I'd bet on a lot of bearings bolts etc will work on both bikes so it's easy to have some spares on hand, some of the best suspension out there. I have a Kawi, KTM and Yamaha all dirt bikes in the garage...the Yamaha is the best built bike of the bunch and prefer working on it over the others.

Can't compare your 625 to a dirt bike maintenance wise. My 690 is a bit of a pain too. Most problems on my 250 can be done fixed trailside in 10 minutes using the little tool kit provided. Japanese bikes are a PITA by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

If I'm you and have a yz450 already I'm buying a yz250. One dealer to hit up for parts, I'd bet on a lot of bearings bolts etc will work on both bikes so it's easy to have some spares on hand, some of the best suspension out there. I have a Kawi, KTM and Yamaha all dirt bikes in the garage...the Yamaha is the best built bike of the bunch and prefer working on it over the others.

Was kinda thinking this as well but since the YZ250 hasn't been updated like the 450 many helpful things won't fit (wheels, brakes, levers, etc).

I think you'll find a difference in suspension feel. I find the KTM's to be twitchy and stiff, where as the Japanese bikes are softer and easier to steer. Try one if you can. Since you ride a yammy now, you may not like the feel. Other than that, I have plenty of riding friends that have KTM's, and they love them. Maintenance always determines your reliability.

I wonder what horror stories you have heard about KTM/Husky 2T's? Keep in mind, that they have the largest piece of the market by FAR, so the amount of people screwing around with them is huge ... you will always read stuff. Are you concerned about the whole bike or just engine? They are so dead simple and much simpler than 4T that must really wonder what can go wrong on a maintained modern 2T anyways?

They are so dead simple and much simpler than 4T that must really wonder what can go wrong on a maintained modern 2T anyways?
This is a very true statement.

I think the big difference between a ktm and for example a yz250 is that KTM has more complex features to go wrong. A battery and electronic start, oil and gas are mixed automatically, it has a hydraulic clutch. So any of these features are one more thing that can go wrong.

I would love to try a KTM even if I am obsessed with YZs, I have also been paying a lot of attention to Betas as they are smaller for riders like me with all the features KTM has.

If anyone wants to go for a ride with me and trade their ktm or beta for my yz250x it would be fun for one day

Back on topic, I speak to a lot of 2t KTM riders while I am loading or unloading at the ganny the few times a week I go and I have yet to hear any of them complaining about their KTMs and wishing they had bought something else.

Last edited:
Was kinda thinking this as well but since the YZ250 hasn't been updated like the 450 many helpful things won't fit (wheels, brakes, levers, etc).

The wheel thing is a let down for sure but there is still quite a bit of carry over from one to the other. Rotors, pads, sprockets, replacement bolts, brake levers are the same not sure about clutch etc. Same dealer for both bikes is a really big deal to me maybe not to you. I also like the YZ because it is truly a do it all bike and can be set up for mx or single track off road type stuff with a huge aftermarket and used parts are plentiful.

This off season my Kawi 250f will likely be replaced with a Yamaha of some sort for some of things I mentioned above. The YZ125 I have set up for my girl friend isn't going anywhere ever...awesome bike.

The club I race with has a lot of both brands though and I don't see people having a ton of issues with either KTM or Yamaha's so I think your set either way. I'd probably skip the bikes out of production and focus on those two brands and see what you like.

What do you plan on using the two stoke for?

Can't compare your 625 to a dirt bike maintenance wise. My 690 is a bit of a pain too. Most problems on my 250 can be done fixed trailside in 10 minutes using the little tool kit provided. Japanese bikes are a PITA by comparison.

The bike I'm referencing is the 09 450 exc that I currently have which shares a chassis with xc-w's for the most part. We can agree to disagree on what we prefer to work on, it most likely comes down to what I've spent more time with and vice versa.

This is a very true statement.

I think the big difference between a ktm and for example a yz250 is that KTM has more complex features to go wrong. A battery and electronic start, oil and gas are mixed automatically, it has a hydraulic clutch. So any of these features are one more thing that can go wrong.

I would love to try a KTM even if I am obsessed with YZs, I have also been paying a lot of attention to Betas as they are smaller for riders like me with all the features KTM has.

If anyone wants to go for a ride with me and trade their ktm or beta for my yz250x it would be fun for one day

Back on topic, I speak to a lot of 2t KTM riders while I am loading or unloading at the ganny the few times a week I go and I have yet to hear any of them complaining about their KTMs and wishing they had bought something else.

The ktm 250sx has no battery, you mix the gas, the hydraulic clutch is fantastic.

The ktm 250sx has no battery, you mix the gas, the hydraulic clutch is fantastic.
2 things I wish the yzx had, electronic start (but still keep the kicker) and the hydraulic clutch.

The clutch being the must, my yz starts at first kick so not much of an issue with the start but sometimes being short it would be helpful not have to always park in an incline that would allow me to kick start it.
#struggleisreal

Last edited:
You see that's why people like me buy KTM/Husky/Berg based 2T ... I would not buy one without an electric start (yes I have been properly spoiled over the years .... LOL). Now, I am not sure I'd be after the TPI based bike with gas and oil injection ... that's a definite complication.

BTW, I like your YZ250X ... we trade bikes sometimes (I ride used Berg 2014 T300) with a buddy who bought new 2016. Really nice bike and liiiight! But, but .... no electric start and hydraulic clutch. Just saying ... LOL ... but the bike literally screams simplicity.

One of the best things about the ktm 2 strokes is the engine tuning. You can change the mapping and the power valve very easily to suit riding terrain and personal preference.

If I was to buy a new 2t again it would be the 300xc. I'd like the linkage rear shock and I've found that I don't really need the wide ratio transmission in the xc-w since I mostly ride singletrack.

They are so dead simple and much simpler than 4T that must really wonder what can go wrong on a maintained modern 2T anyways?
Mine seems to blow up almost once a year. Although I take it on the highway which I'm told isn't so good for it. One time was supposedly prematurely failed crank seals letting extra air in so it was running lean and another time supposedly a clogged carb. Mine's not a KTM, though.

Mine seems to blow up almost once a year. Although I take it on the highway which I'm told isn't so good for it. One time was supposedly prematurely failed crank seals letting extra air in so it was running lean and another time supposedly a clogged carb. Mine's not a KTM, though.

Your bike has a very strange use case for a two-stroke vehicle. You use yours more like a boat engine at constant high throttle and high revs for much of it's life. The dirt bike will obviously be operated much differently most of the time. I would consider putting a pyrometer in yours as both times you could probably have seen temps climbing and saved much of the rebuild.

I always thought about trying to get an RS250, but after your luck with the 125, it keeps moving further down the list of things to spend time/money on.

Your bike has a very strange use case for a two-stroke vehicle. You use yours more like a boat engine at constant high throttle and high revs for much of it's life. The dirt bike will obviously be operated much differently most of the time. I would consider putting a pyrometer in yours as both times you could probably have seen temps climbing and saved much of the rebuild.
EGT gauge is sitting at home ready to be installed. :)
I always thought about trying to get an RS250, but after your luck with the 125, it keeps moving further down the list of things to spend time/money on.
Almost imported one of these instead of buying the 125 but I was worried about registration. Also for insurance they wouldn't give me a quote until AFTER it was imported and registered and the only forum member I know that has one told me it was a pain for him to find insurance and wouldn't tell me what he was paying. Overall I love the bike but wish it was a bit more reliable.

Last edited:
I bought a 2016 200xcw with 50hrs on it at the beginning of 2016. I raced all the OO XC races last year with a few MX races in there. Some normal riding with friends rides too. So far this year I have raced a couple OO XC's and a handful of MX races. It now has 150hrs on it. I change the oil (Shell Rotella Diesel) after every race day and clean air filter every ride. I've used Ipone Samurai 2T oil at 50:1.

Fingers crossed, I have never, not once, had a mechanical breakdown yet. Over this winter I will definitely be doing the top end, and maybe the bottom end.

I've had to replace the rear sprocket, new header, and various bolts that have vibrated out lol.

I will not say KTM's are the best, worst, or whatever. Butt experience has been really good as far as I'm concerned.

I bought a 2016 200xcw with 50hrs on it at the beginning of 2016. I raced all the OO XC races last year with a few MX races in there. Some normal riding with friends rides too. So far this year I have raced a couple OO XC's and a handful of MX races. It now has 150hrs on it. I change the oil (Shell Rotella Diesel) after every race day and clean air filter every ride. I've used Ipone Samurai 2T oil at 50:1.

Fingers crossed, I have never, not once, had a mechanical breakdown yet. Over this winter I will definitely be doing the top end, and maybe the bottom end.

I've had to replace the rear sprocket, new header, and various bolts that have vibrated out lol.

I will not say KTM's are the best, worst, or whatever. Butt experience has been really good as far as I'm concerned.

hmm, are you the Rob I race with? I'm Tyler on the #811 Kawi that almost hit your son when I squidded out and went off the side of the jump into the mud hole this past weekend if you're who I think you are lol.

I have had all brands of dirt bikes,nothing compares to KTM.You can almost dismantle all the bodywork as well as remove the seat with one wrench,air cleaner is also easy.As said the electric start and hydraulic clutch are great to have no matter what people say.Very tunable motor never had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom