how to flare chain pins | GTAMotorcycle.com

how to flare chain pins

JP0160

I changed my sprockets and am adding one link to my chain. I've got it all together just fine but I don't have a flaring tool to make the 4 flares on the pins I removed and reinstalled. Do I need to re-flare them, and does anyone have an idea of a diy tool or some way I can modify my chain press/breaker to flare them? Can I just put the rivet tool on and try to add a rivet to the stock pins? This is not a masterlink, just a regular pin in a SRX2 chain.

I think only the pins on the master link are soft enough to rivet, could be wrong and someone will tell you if I am

Yeah I tried with my riveter, broke a pin, so I made one with an old pipe flaring kit. The pins are just way too hard to flare. Ended up using some big dirty vice grips and clamped them on an angle to make a new flare. Worked just fine! ~5.70mm stock flares, mine came to ~5.60mm. For anyone in the future, the CBR300 with +2 rear needs 109 links total.

Sounds pretty sketchy to me I wouldn't ride it with a chain put together like that. I know 2 people who have died from a chain coming apart.

Sounds pretty sketchy to me I wouldn't ride it with a chain put together like that. I know 2 people who have died from a chain coming apart.
All I did was add a link, that's perfectly normal. The flares are checked to a thousand of an inch with digital calipers, and all of the other pins vary from ~5.3 to ~5.8, I'm only 0.1mm off so I don't think there will be any issues. Put about 80km on it so far and the pins haven't moved, I'm not worried but ty for the morbid reality check :rolleyes:

4 flares ? The master link would only 2 pins - ?...?

chain.jpg

Not my photo. I was referring to the flares you see on the pins. I originally purchased a 110 link and took 2 off to fit my bike, now with the larger sprocket I added one of those links back in. When I reinstalled the link the flares had flattened out a bit from being pushed through the plate and I was asking how to press them back down. Only 1 master link the threaded rod style and it's on fine. ~300km later they haven't moved and the plated are still aligned perfectly

Last edited:
View attachment 39020

Not my photo. I was referring to the flares you see on the pins. I originally purchased a 110 link and took 2 off to fit my bike, now with the larger sprocket I added one of those links back in. When I reinstalled the link the flares had flattened out a bit from being pushed through the plate and I was asking how to press them back down. Only 1 master link the threaded rod style and it's on fine. ~300km later they haven't moved and the plated are still aligned perfectly

To add a link you need two master links, no way around it. You cannot (or shouldn't) reuse a link that has had the pins deformed. New masters is what needs to be used, you can use the inside link obviously. The masters have a spot for flaring, the regular pins do not aren't meant to be reused. I wouldn't be using the chain the way you've installed it.

Last edited:
To add a link you need two master links, no way around it. You cannot (or shouldn't) reuse a link that has had the pins deformed. New masters is what needs to be used, you can use the inside link obviously. The masters have a spot for flaring, the regular pins do not aren't meant to be reused. I wouldn't be using the chain the way you've installed it.
Alright I'll order another master tonight. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom