Easy power vs chasing power | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Easy power vs chasing power

Agreed. Like our 1200 GSAs? ;) Love the power delivery on that bike. Not as intense as my GSXR 1000, but a joy to get on the throttle with without having to down shift, even two up and fully loaded with luggage.

It is enough power to keep me happy with a little thrill if I turn the throttle back far enough. Has everything I need when I need and never lets me down. They really perfected the wethead in my opinion. I liked the my old camhead GSA, but the wetheads just refined and perfected just about everything but the turn signal switches.

No matter how much I cram into the panniers, or strap on top, it seems to make no difference once moving. A perfect bike!

The real question is, do you enjoy 4th gear power wheelies....and there are only 2 kinds of riders, those who do and a bunch of dirty liars

I guess "neck wringing" for me because if I've got tons of power down low I feel like I'm babying the thing trying to keep my license and that's boring.
That's the thing too, peaky bikes have multiple personalities. Like Jekyll and Hyde, you can poke around calmly without effort or speed, or you can get your rage on and thrash the thing like an abused child. Or anywhere in between. Adjust RPM according to mood.

It is enough power to keep me happy with a little thrill if I turn the throttle back far enough. Has everything I need when I need and never lets me down. They really perfected the wethead in my opinion. I liked the my old camhead GSA, but the wetheads just refined and perfected just about everything but the turn signal switches.

No matter how much I cram into the panniers, or strap on top, it seems to make no difference once moving. A perfect bike!

I rode a liquid cooled GS and a Triumph Explorer 2-up on the same European tour. The Triumph had a nice balance of power down low plus fun at the higher revs. The GS was fine, but not exciting. Although the Triumph was always the bike that dictated fuel stops.

Ninja 1000 also has nice torque at the lower mid-range with a kick at 7k. You can work the gears or not, depending on how aggressive you're feeling.

I rode a liquid cooled GS and a Triumph Explorer 2-up on the same European tour. The Triumph had a nice balance of power down low plus fun at the higher revs. The GS was fine, but not exciting. Although the Triumph was always the bike that dictated fuel stops.

Ninja 1000 also has nice torque at the lower mid-range with a kick at 7k. You can work the gears or not, depending on how aggressive you're feeling.

For me it is more then enough, others it might not be. Thankfully there are options for those who want more power out of an ADV bike. Ducati Multi Enduro looks like a fantastic machine with more power then I would ever know what to do with. Beautiful looking as well, just missing a shaft drive and it might be a contender the next time I am shopping for a new bike.

2017-Ducati-Multistrada-1200-First-Look-Fast-Facts-6 by B P, on Flickr

I'll pass on the shaft drive. The Triumph, with 13k kms on the clock developed a leak in the rear drive seal with no warning. Fortunately it was a rental and they gave us the GS to finish the guided tour. I think the bike was out for the rest of the season. If that was my own, the trip would have been finished and we would have been left stranded. Yeah, a chain requires regular maintenance, but you can see problems coming. Also, a repair may hold you up a day or 2, but won't kill your trip. Along with the weight savings, I'll stay with a chain thank you.

When spending time twisting up a mountain for miles and miles 2 up the grunt of the Wing felt real good.

I'm also really liking the torque of the KLRs big single. As much as I liked the sky high redline on my FZ6, waiting for it spool up could sometimes get tiresome.

Last edited:
Last few street bike have been large displacement twins I find they work best for me for street riding, have a 600 and a 1000 I4 for the track and if I had to choose an I4 for the street I would go with the 1000 for that extra bottom end grunt, 14k rpm on the street to get some power going seems like a bit or work.

Chase the power

cCbdcOk.gif

Back
Top Bottom