staging with bikers on the way? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

staging with bikers on the way?

Think about how stupid it is to ride in single file in the left side of the lane. It just makes no sense. You give up a lot of stopping distance. Do what's safe.

+1

Why would you give up visibility of traffic and road conditions ahead of you just because you don't know the rider in front of you.

If anything, if you don't know or trust the rider's abilities, the last thing you want to do is ride in his tire track in the event that he does something stupid, robbing you of options and maneuvering room.

Doesn't matter whether you know them or not, you're required to stagger if you're in line with other riders. It is not the law in Ontario but in places like Quebec it is. Think about how stupid it is to ride in single file in the left side of the lane. It just makes no sense. You give up a lot of stopping distance. Do what's safe.

+1

Why would you give up visibility of traffic and road conditions ahead of you just because you don't know the rider in front of you.

If anything, if you don't know or trust the rider's abilities, the last thing you want to do is ride in his tire track in the event that he does something stupid, robbing you of options and maneuvering room.

Please explain how riding two seconds back makes no sense and gives up visibility. I'm interested. I'll be riding with a gentleman from Québec tomorrow, so I'll ask him if it's required there as stated above. Never heard of that law myself.

If it's the Village People, catch up and ask them to autograph your leather cap. That's worth some decent cash. Enough to help with whatever is causing all the staggering in this thread.

Learn something new everyday:
[Quebec Highway Safety Code] 483. Drivers of motorcycles or mopeds driving in groups of two or more in one traffic lane must drive in zigzag formation

As well we all know and have experienced - with lots of traffic and slower speeds vehicles bunch up and get closer to each other. With less traffic and higher speeds vehicles space out. If I'm riding alone and come upon another motorcyclist and the traffic dictates that traffic is close together - I'll stagger. This is logical to me. When traffic volume lightens and the speed increases along with the following distances I'll go back to doing my own thing with an appropriate following distance and minding my own lane positions. I won't stagger. That following distance would make it rather obvious to any Cop (when in Quebec) that I was not part of a group.

Concerns of visibility around the motorcyclist in front of me is funny to think of. I've yet to encounter a harley rider large enough to block my view effectively.

Re: staggering with other bikers on the way?

If I'm comfortable with their speed I hang back enough to not be seen as part of their group. Also since I don't know them I don't know their quirks so I have safety room. If they're going too slow I position myself to pass.

The bigger problem is the long cruiser parade that is going too slow. It's hard to pass the entire group in one shot and doing it one or two bikes at a time changes the stagger and is likely seen as invasive. If there are a bunch of newbies in the ride it could get destructive. Take a coffee break or photo stop.

I'm all for the group length limits as supposedly exist in PQ laws.

Huh, didn't know that. Same for Ontario?

No such law for Ontario as far as I know. The Quebec law is to allow for passing by other vehicles, rather than have a huge group of riders blocking the highway for miles.

I'll stagger at a light or in slow traffic (basically if I get close to them) but if we're moving well I keep my distance. Even when staggered in those low speed situations I stay back a bit so it's not like I just tried to join their group out of no where.

For me, I will stay away from groups. Enough so as not to give the impression that I want to ride with them.
For example. 2 riders in front of me and stayed far back enough that I did not want to get involved with them.
Time came and I had the opportunity to overtake, safely. Not in or even close to them.
However, I guess the lead rider did not like it. Passed me on the inside in my lane.
Had the chance to talk and lecture him in no uncertain terms.

Passed a group of Harley riders on 10, just North of Caledon. (25+) A couple of big sports bikes. a few months ago.
Every single one of them gave me the wave as I went past. Nice.
I would really have felt out of place staggering with them. It is their party and I was not invited. No problem.

Did someone say stagger

o1Ycc1Y.png

When you say stagger, do you mean stagger as in "in to the hospital?"
hells-angels-2.jpg
8c9262379-131001-bikers-attack-11a.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

Stagger in?

Also ask about riding in groups. Groups should not be more than 75 feet long (the distance of an 18 wheeler) at a time.

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/saaq/documents/laws-and-regulations/highway-safety-code/

Is my math wrong? 60 mph = 88 fps. Therefore a 2 second gap is 176 feet. If staggered, you drop that to 1 sec for each stagger, which is still 88 feet, 18 feet longer than the semi. Seems to me that it is impossible to ride as a group and not break the law. (note: I didn't actually read the law but am assuming you're quoting it correctly.)

Is my math wrong? 60 mph = 88 fps. Therefore a 2 second gap is 176 feet. If staggered, you drop that to 1 sec for each stagger, which is still 88 feet, 18 feet longer than the semi. Seems to me that it is impossible to ride as a group and not break the law. (note: I didn't actually read the law but am assuming you're quoting it correctly.)

Seven bikes = 1/4 mile. I don't see that happening.

I couldn't find the regulation in the PQ law but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

When up come up behind another group I keep extra space, but I may or may not stagger - depends on how I see the riders riding. If it's a bunch of squids playing the wannabe racer game I'll stay in my own blocking position but keep a healthy amount of space between us instead, but if it's a bunch of others riding in a clearly conscientious fashion I will typically fall into the stagger, but I also keep a bit of extra space.

Typically doesn't happen for long anyways - if someone is riding slow enough that I come up behind them I typically pass in short order, or if the group is going too slow for my liking and there's no way to safely pass, I'll pull over for a coffee somewhere, or change my route to go some other way.

Back
Top Bottom