Those who do ride to the track | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Those who do ride to the track

Are those trailers still limited to 45 MPH though?

I've done 120km/h on them. Who gives a **** ;) lol

I think all of the Harbour Freight trailers are rated for max 55 as well. People have many many km on them at much higher speeds. I wonder if it's a licensing/certification thing (eg. above 55 they have to comply with a tougher standard).

Spent a season doing 110-140 on these. Even ran over a railroad stop at 100 accidentally and prayed to baby Jesus the bike wouldn't fall off (it was fine, pit bull system is great).

But seriously, both trailers are pretty safe. I didn't intentionally go 120+ (heavy foot I guess) with either but there weren't any problems. I'd assume there is a greater chance at **** hitting the fan if you load more than one bike on these trailers due to weight distribution though.

Last edited:
The way I see it is... if you have a crash and hurt yourself, you are now expecting others to deal with everything for you, there is no way around it, which many will and I have but is it fair for you to put people on that spot?
What kind of injury would prevent you from riding a bike but allow you to drive a car the same day you're injured?

What kind of injury would prevent you from riding a bike but allow you to drive a car the same day you're injured?

I have fixed other people's bikes track side so that they could ride home.

I wouldn't suggest to anyone to ride their bike to a track day.

And lots of injuries that I could drive home with that I couldn't ride home with. Lots.

I can imagine just one; a right wrist injury that prevents the rider from twisting the throttle. Not sure what that injury would be exactly, but a similar injury to the right foot could prevent someone from driving who could otherwise ride home.

Maybe you can be more specific.

It this a serious question?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

It this a serious question?

Lolz

Every half decent crash I've had at track I've always been able to drive home.

One example.

Hi side ok to drive car, bike not so much .

It's not just injury to your self, bike being down will most likely be not usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bike breaks there's nothing to stop the rider from helping himself. The issue is if there's an injury that would require more help from good samaritains when someone is riding versus driving to the track.

A highside is what, a sore back, what injury? Some back injuries make it impossible to recline.

It's a serious question because the pleas I hear to never ride to a trackday seem reactionary, not entirely thought out.

Not riding to the track is like ATGATT. Not always necessary...till it is. Even something small, like a snapped lever, would make it difficult to ride home. Do you pack spare shift, brake, clutch levers...etc.?

Last edited:
If the bike breaks there's nothing to stop the rider from helping himself. The issue is if there's an injury that would require more help from good samaritains when someone is riding versus driving to the track.

A highside is what, a sore back, what injury? Some back injuries make it impossible to recline.

It's a serious question because the pleas I hear to never ride to a trackday seem reactionary, not entirely thought out.

You low side and hurt your wrists, left operates the clutch, right operates the throttle. Either one of these injuries make riding redundant. High sides can break or fracture bones, shoulder blades and ribs are the usual.

You low side and hurt your wrists, left operates the clutch, right operates the throttle. Either one of these injuries make riding redundant. High sides can break or fracture bones, shoulder blades and ribs are the usual.
What is the injury that's bad enough to make your wrists incapable of operating levers but no so bad to require a visit to emerg? Broken bones mean hospital visit, not drive home.

Actually I came up with an answer; a broken clavicle. It would be much easier to drive than to ride with a broken clavicle. But if the guy doesn't go to emerg (that wouldn't change based on their mode of transportation to the track) he'd be in the same position as having a broken bike, meaning he could still help himself. There's still no additional reliance on good samaritains either way.

When I rode to trackdays I went through all this because I didn't want to be a burden to anybody if things went wrong. Riding versus driving makes no difference in that respect. There is however a very big difference between going to a track day alone or with buddies, or at least someone ready to help out. Going alone can put a burden on other track riders if I crashed, regardless of whether I rode or drove.

I guess you could ride but why would anyone want to????

I guess you could ride but why would anyone want to????
I didn't own a car at the time, and if I did the hassle of renting a car, trailer and loading for an 8AM arrival time was logistically impossible (I live in a condo). Later I got a minivan and loaded everything easily in the underground parking the night before.

Last edited:
What is the injury that's bad enough to make your wrists incapable of operating levers but no so bad to require a visit to emerg? Broken bones mean hospital visit, not drive home.
Once I loaded up and drove home mid sunday after a crash. When I got home I had to call my wife to open my truck door for me because I was unable to from the inside. I couldn't even really move. Went to ER and had 4 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Missed a month of work. I couldn't have ridden.

Once I had a lowside in saturday qualifying. After racing sunday I could barely move my right wrist without severe pain. Drove home, went to ER next day. Turns out I had a bunch of fluid on the bone on my forearm and had to miss work for a week. I couldn't have ridden.

One time I crashed and was knocked out cold and woke up during the ambulance ride. After an afternoon in the hospital, I got back to the track and thankfully my buddies had loaded my bike and gear into my truck. I drove it home because I had to but looking back I probably shouldn't have. I couldn't have ridden.

With many injuries you could go to the hospital, receive treatment, then get back to the track and fetch your gear and drive home.

I crashed in the Saturday race at AMP this year. Sore shoulder and a mild concussion. I was not able to race on Sunday.. but I did drive 2100km back home.

Lots of injuries could keep someone from riding but driving is still possible. Many small dismounts off the bike could result in minor damage that is easily fixed but would make riding home from the track difficult or impossible.

Right hand injury, Had one racing, was able to drive with my left hand but not able to operate the gas and front brake on the motorcycle.

I also never go to track alone, so not riding and not going alone are a must for me.

Back
Top Bottom