Those who do ride to the track | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Those who do ride to the track

So how would you get home if you or your bike were disabled?
It depends on a lot of things. Where, what time, what's around, what's the problem, who's available. I mean the same things you would consider if you were disabled just riding around. This is just like any hurdle in life, I don't understand why it's all of a sudden impossible when it happens at a track day.

Options might include a tow to a local garage, cab home, call a friend or family to get me and my stuff, make some arrangement with another rider or the track, or like I said worst case tow home.

Why IS this so different from any other breakdown?

My heads starting to hurt from banging it on a brick wall while reading this thread. Gah.

I gave up on it. You can do what you like, but it's better to transport the bike to the track..."just in case". Same reason we wear gear.
LOL, lightweights.

As I got faster and started needing to carry tires and fuel I seriously went through the logistics of trailering all my track stuff behind me on the bike. I would have loved to shatter the minds of all the conventional thinkers around, but it turned out that buying a car had too many more benefits so I went that route.

I rode to the track many many times.

...not a single one of those times did I go on the track with my bike.

With all the extra stuff I hauled to the track....cooler, gas, stands, tools, spare parts, etc. Transport via van was a lot easier. Even when I rode the bike to the track, the stuff was delivered and picked up after. So still needed an car. Plus prepping the bike for track, like taking off mirrors, taping lenses, securing side stand, etc. was easier done the day before and not waste track day time.

It depends on a lot of things. Where, what time, what's around, what's the problem, who's available. I mean the same things you would consider if you were disabled just riding around. This is just like any hurdle in life, I don't understand why it's all of a sudden impossible when it happens at a track day.

Options might include a tow to a local garage, cab home, call a friend or family to get me and my stuff, make some arrangement with another rider or the track, or like I said worst case tow home.

Why IS this so different from any other breakdown?

Here's some more food for thought.

Track day folks and racers are a fairly small community.

Even if you don't ask people are going to offer to help. If you're not there to tend to your things because you're receiving medical treatment, people at the track WILL be packing up your stuff for you. That's just how it works in this community.

You may not intend on being a burden on others and you may have the best intentions of not relying on strangers for anything..... but they're going to help you. Someone will have trailer space to get you home, someone will have spare parts to get your bike up and running again, someone will help you pack up and tidy up your things if you're not there. And honestly the same thing applies even if you did tow your own bike to the track. If you're hurt and unable to pack and/or drive there will be others to help you pack and/or drive home. We help each other when needed because some day we might be in need of help.

That being said, if you make a point of being the worlds biggest ********* and making sure everyone hates you, then maybe you'll have to figure it out on your own.

That's how it is different.

QstBGdz.gif

Here's some more food for thought.

Track day folks and racers are a fairly small community.

Even if you don't ask people are going to offer to help. If you're not there to tend to your things because you're receiving medical treatment, people at the track WILL be packing up your stuff for you. That's just how it works in this community.

You may not intend on being a burden on others and you may have the best intentions of not relying on strangers for anything..... but they're going to help you. Someone will have trailer space to get you home, someone will have spare parts to get your bike up and running again, someone will help you pack up and tidy up your things if you're not there. And honestly the same thing applies even if you did tow your own bike to the track. If you're hurt and unable to pack and/or drive there will be others to help you pack and/or drive home. We help each other when needed because some day we might be in need of help.

That being said, if you make a point of being the worlds biggest ********* and making sure everyone hates you, then maybe you'll have to figure it out on your own.

That's how it is different.
Sorry, not seeing the difference. Strangers will stop to offer help if you look stranded out on a country road too. Ask me how I know. It's no excuse for being unprepared, any more than the goodwill of trackday riders is an excuse for being unprepared there. And I'm not advocating for anyone to be unprepared to deal with problems, I'm saying anyone who rides to the track needs to know they will have fewer options to get themselves home if they have a bad enough crash. They need to prepare for that.

Everyone likes to think they and their circle are more virtuous than others but we're (largely) all the same that way. Even this forum essentially exists to help strangers. It's what we do because it makes us happy to help make others happy. Of course if some ********* comes in here demanding answers and can't make the simplest effert to learn for himself he will get the cold shoulder pretty fast.

This is not at all unique to track riders.

Sorry, not seeing the difference. Strangers will stop to offer help if you look stranded out on a country road too. Ask me how I know. It's no excuse for being unprepared, any more than the goodwill of trackday riders is an excuse for being unprepared there. And I'm not advocating for anyone to be unprepared to deal with problems, I'm saying anyone who rides to the track needs to know they will have fewer options to get themselves home if they have a bad enough crash. They need to prepare for that.

Everyone likes to think they and their circle are more virtuous than others but we're (largely) all the same that way. Even this forum essentially exists to help strangers. It's what we do because it makes us happy to help make others happy. Of course if some ********* comes in here demanding answers and can't make the simplest effert to learn for himself he will get the cold shoulder pretty fast.

This is not at all unique to track riders.

You've made up your mind and your opinion is different than that of some others.

End of discussion I suppose.

You've made up your mind and your opinion is different than that of some others.

End of discussion I suppose.
The problem is some others' opinions will lead to resentment towards anyone who rides to a track day, and perhaps less willingness to help out if there's a problem, when the reason for that resentment doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

There's like an instinctive reaction towards those who ride to the track, that they're careless **********. Then if I show up and challenge that assumption, instead of re-examining it, that reactionary instinct is turned against me and now I'm the *********.

I don't particularly care what people think of me but hopefully after this thread trackday riders will think twice before putting down those who ride to the track.

Last edited:
Jeez it feels in here like motorcycling season has ended and it's mid winter with the lack of restraint in the threads.

Someone start an oil thread quick....

The problem is some others' opinions will lead to resentment towards anyone who rides to a track day, and perhaps less willingness to help out if there's a problem, when the reason for that resentment doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Not really, couple of years ago I did a test day at the small Mosport Track, it was just a relaxing day for me to just get my bike ready and myself as well.

A guy showed up with his GSXR and parked beside me, I end up giving him shelter in my tent, water and coconut water from my cooler, gfas from my gas and even some food, I even gave him my extra chair to seat for the day. Guy had a blast and I did too since he was a nice guy. So no, I don't have any animosity towards anyone that shows up riding, however guess what would have happened if he had a bad crash?

Edit: Oh yea and also lent him my tools and my tire pressure gauge. So yea, great guy but how the hell do you show up to the track without the essentials even for a Green group rider? This is also part of why I think it is a bad idea, each track day rider should have the minimum equipment and tools with them which is impossible riding to the track

Last edited:

There's like an instinctive reaction towards those who ride to the track, that they're careless **********. Then if I show up and challenge that assumption, instead of re-examining it, that reactionary instinct is turned against me and now I'm the *********.

I don't particularly care what people think of me but hopefully after this thread trackday riders will think twice before putting down those who ride to the track.

There won't be, nor has there ever been, any resentment. Some just think it's a bad idea.

You're not going to change anyone's opinion.

Dumb idea to ride to the track and try to avoid it...

That being said, I rode to Grand Bend for 2 out my 3 track days there. Didn't bring any gas since I could just ride to the gas station on lunch break, as for the suit, I just wore it. Bag was packed with some tools/clothing as well as 4 water bottles that I refill at lunch.

Back
Top Bottom