Certification questions for those who actually right them | GTAMotorcycle.com

Certification questions for those who actually right them

GVH

So I picked up some old British scooters and bikes. The one scooter does not have a battery, turn signals or even an ignition switch from the factory.

Can I get it certified in Ontario as it came from the factory ?? I know the Signals and ignition switch shouldn't be a big problem but no battery I'm not sure about.

JZsm2Mu.gif

If in the year they were made legislation did not require those items you can have them certified. Not sure what year full lighting became mandatory. Battery is a non-issue.

Thought so but wasn't sure. Triumph Tina is 1963, BSA Sunbeam is 1959/60 and a 1971 BSA B25SS bike.

h9Y8T0m.gif

aj55WcI.gif

A battery is not a road safety item so it not covered by vehicle certification tests. It can be present or absent and still not affect the ability of the scooter to get certified.

If it did not so come equipped from the factory it is not required.
The scooter and the Sunbeam won't likely be a problem but the BSA B25 is new enough that it will require signals, etc.
The trick will be finding someone familiar enough with older machines to be willing to sign on the dotted line.
Ask around.

A battery is not a road safety item so it not covered by vehicle certification tests. It can be present or absent and still not affect the ability of the scooter to get certified.

Not entirely accurate.

If the vehicle has a battery it must be properly secured.

Oooohhhhhh.....this was for people that actually 'write' them!
I thought this was another political thread.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Thought so but wasn't sure. Triumph Tina is 1963, BSA Sunbeam is 1959/60 and a 1971 BSA B25SS bike.

h9Y8T0m.gif

aj55WcI.gif

Motorcycles made before Jan. 1, 1970 are not required to have headlights which are on during daylight hours under Ontario law. So both scooters are exempt. This change was obtained by the CVMG in the 1970s after the 1975 lights-on-in -daytime Federal regulation came into force.
The 1971 BSA will have to run with the headlight on in daytime.

AFJ

Did you get registrations with them?

Certification is one issue, but if they were never registered with transport Canada for importation you will not be able to plate them here regardless of mechanical fitness.

Did you get registrations with them?

Certification is one issue, but if they were never registered with transport Canada for importation you will not be able to plate them here regardless of mechanical fitness.

The Triumph Tina came with the original ownership. Unfortunately that wasn't good enough. Since they have not been registered in 40 + years the MTO never put them in the computer system in the late 1970s or whenever they transferred everything over. I had the seller go to get a print out of every vehicle he ever owned since they were registered to him $12. This only listed any with transactions after 1980. Nothing before. He then convinced them to do the affidavits and everything on the spot. He did it from memory and made a few mistakes I will get corrected but I know have ownerships.

jlClVIT.jpg

Thumbs up 5o the seller for being helpful.

Ya nice guy. It took 6 years to buy these off him. Some people might have met him back in the day. He was a sales manager at Cycle World West and possibly McBrides. Names Mike wheeled around in his wheelchair.

Ya nice guy. It took 6 years to buy these off him. Some people might have met him back in the day. He was a sales manager at Cycle World West and possibly McBrides. Names Mike wheeled around in his wheelchair.

Did he use to work (and his dad was possibly the owner) of the bike store in burlington just south of the QEW?

Did he use to work (and his dad was possibly the owner) of the bike store in burlington just south of the QEW?

Different person I believe. I know how your thinking of not by name but that was my store. I always had Suzuki bikes.

@GVH I think I wanna come by sometime and just look at all the projects you have on the go.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom