Fibre Glass Fairing Repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fibre Glass Fairing Repair

limitsreached

I know a few of you have had to repair your fibreglass fairing at some point or another and its those of you I am looking at for some tips. :)

My recently acquired track bike is in need of some cosmetic work and I have already prepped the parts/areas that need attention. Using the below link as an example, what is your thoughts on bondo for the final stage before paint? If so, any recommendations of specific ones?

http://www.sportrider.com/hands-damaged-bodywork-repair

My fairings are covered by a layer of gel coat so I am wondering if it is best to use that instead. If so, any recommendations?

For reference, I have quite a few spider cracks and some large holes in just the gel coat. I plan to build up those areas with glass/resin then fill with bondo or gel coat, depending on what you all think.

Gel coat is sprayed into the mold first then the resin/chop or hand laid fiberglass goes on after. It all comes out of the mold as one with the paint(gel coat) almost flawless. But gel coating sprayed on for repairs are thicker then paint. My experience is from making theme park waterslides for a few years out of Ajax. If you can match the gel coat with a paint you will be fine. If they are just spider cracks you could use gel coat to fill but those spots will never blend 100%. I would resurface the entire part and paint it all.

Gel coat is sprayed into the mold first then the resin/chop or hand laid fiberglass goes on after. It all comes out of the mold as one with the paint(gel coat) almost flawless. But gel coating sprayed on for repairs are thicker then paint. My experience is from making theme park waterslides for a few years out of Ajax. If you can match the gel coat with a paint you will be fine. If they are just spider cracks you could use gel coat to fill but those spots will never blend 100%. I would resurface the entire part and paint it all.

Blending isn't an issues as the parts will be painted. :)

The spider cracks were lifting/flaking so i removed the weak stuff and sanded the area down to create a valley of sorts. So, gel over bondo in your opinion? Looking for the strongest solution really..

Last edited:
A patch/fiber glass will sit high but be the strongest. Body filler will smooth things out and give a nice surface. The fiberglass patch can be sanded to shape as well but you will be reshaping it all by hand. Just do not smooth the fiber glass so much its shinny, give it a light scruff, then paint and buff out the piece. But I too would like to know what the guys do on their track bikes. I was thinking of using my unbroken parts as plugs to make some molds for down the road DIY fairings/panels

Fibreglass mat on the back for strength and bodyfill on the surface to smooth it out. You can usually sand the resin down pretty flat but the bodyfill is needed to get things closer to perfect.

Fibreglass filler or just regular bondo?

Did my ZX7 fairings twice after crashing.
Fiberglass matting & resin on the back.
Bondo on the front of the repair sanded to shape, nice & smooth, re-apply if needed to finish it off/get the correct shape then finish off any minor imperfections with a putty style filler.
Wet sand everything, prime, wet sand everything again, apply finish coats - I never bothered clear coating my track bodywork as I could polish the paint to a high enough shine after cutting the new paint in then waxing to a deep shine.

Messy work but satisfying when you get it right :)

Back
Top Bottom