OPP: Number of fatal motorcycle collisions in GTA 'very alarming' | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP: Number of fatal motorcycle collisions in GTA 'very alarming'

Very rainy year this year and could be a factor.

Also notice many drivers seem to be extra cautious, at least for when a light turns yellow. Had 2 events this year where drivers in front of me slammed on brakes instead of cautiously proceeding through. There was no way I could brake in time and needed to go around them with plenty of yellow light left. And I do not tail gate, so it is not a factor in following too closely. In last 10 years of riding, that has never happened to me before.

And motorcycles are inherently much less stable with very limited traction. A computer that works fine to control a car still falls flat on its face when put on a bike. You have much smaller contact patches and if either one loses traction for a split second in a corner you fall over. A car could have two or three wheels sliding with little impact other than less deceleration/going slightly wide in the corner as the sliding will be quickly dealt with by the computer.

It's all still just physics; meaning you put some numbers into a computer and the computer decides what to do with that number. The reason why this took so long to take off is because motorcycles are, really, some rich company's pet project. Developing safety features for the vast majority of users (cars) versus the less common users (motorcycles) makes sense especially if the complexity of developing that safety feature for the lesser users exceeds the common ones. I'm willing to bet money that's why it took them so long.

And people push bikes harder than cars (IME). When was the last time you saw a car going 160+ through the 507? Sure, the ertefa guys like burnouts, drag racing on the street and top speed runs on the 407, but I have never heard of one trying to go around a corner so the chance of crashing goes way down.

Well....a supersport bike costs $5000 used lol Though none of this part of the discussion matters unless we actually have statistics on this.

And for the record; I spin the tires on a 2007 Yaris despite some posters on this forum frowning at the idea <_<

one loses traction for a split second in a corner you fall over.

Do you really think that???? Motorcycles are inherently VERY stable at anything above walking speed as they self correct...

[video=youtube;kQ5hV-ESBd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5hV-ESBd0[/video]

and most if not all experienced riders here have lost rear wheel traction ( some do it for fun ) and while a front wheel wash out is tough a small slip will wake you up ...not put you into the guardrail.

Even in the rain a good tire has 80% of its dry traction.

and the lighter bike helps - the top end cars can outbrake a top end bike but the bike has the advantage of manuevering while braking into exit space ...something every rider should have ...

MCN Performance index 12/13: S1000RR '12 = 119.3 feet
Edmunds 2012 Camry test: 129 feet

Do you really think that???? Motorcycles are inherently VERY stable at anything above walking speed as they self correct...

[video=youtube;kQ5hV-ESBd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5hV-ESBd0[/video]

and most if not all experienced riders here have lost rear wheel traction ( some do it for fun ) and while a front wheel wash out is tough a small slip will wake you up ...not put you into the guardrail.

Even in the rain a good tire has 80% of its dry traction.

and the lighter bike helps - the top end cars can outbrake a top end bike but the bike has the advantage of manuevering while braking into exit space ...something every rider should have ...

I'm just saying from the perspective of the computer, the way abs was done in a car where they would watch for a wheel to stop rotating and then release the brakes would work very poorly on a bike when it was leaned over. I think cars now have gotten smarter and look for wheel speed difference not just stopped but the bike still has trouble with less data to try to figure out what is happening.

In a straight line I agree, a motorcycle is inherently very stable and it's the rider that screws it up.

As far as braking distance goes put a bike up against a car on a crap surface and I expect most cars will beat most bikes. Unfortunately more and more of our secondary roads are going tar and chip(or just busted asphalt).

The important point is a bike can get unrecoverably out of shape through a momentary control input (eg too much brake causing the front to wash or a big slide on the rear). A decent rider could ride out the sliding rear but that one is a ***** for a computer. If it let's go of the brakes it could send you to the moon, if it does nothing you may lowside. The computer doesn't have a good option to help save you (unless it can prevent the slide from starting in the first place which is easier said than done and may result in way too much nanny ing which riders would hate). In a car even if wheels lock up, the computer has time to deal with it before it's a problem. If you start rotating the computer can brake the inside wheels to tighten the corner etc, it is just a much more controllable system to help get you out of a mistake.

(unless it can prevent the slide from starting in the first place which is easier said than done

It's not ...Combined ABS has been around since 2009 and newer ABS and traction control keep a high powered bike in hand readily.

I don't think you have a handle on the advances ...many of which like C-ABS, TC and wheelie control have migrated off the track.

Motorcycles at speed have a gyroscopes stability due to the rotating wheels.. Worth watching

[video=youtube;LhFtg7xM1DM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFtg7xM1DM[/video]

My bike has c-abs and for the longest time I wondered what the use was as I never seemed to need it....until one day going round a nice right hand rising corner at speed leaned over I found a semi coming at me in my lane on the rise of the hill so I slammed on the anchors in a panic and just slowed down without standing the bike up or running into the other lane all the while still leaned over. Total ****ing voodoo magic and a convert for life.

It is spooky ....even in regular braking the difference between the C-ABS on the Honda and "never notice it" regular ABS of the Vstrom.
It's the combined braking I can feel.

Jc is talking about cornering abs not combined a much more advanced system than on on your Honda. And yes the cornering abs is voodo and amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I didn't know they had ABS that helps with braking during cornering now. Which bikes have that?

I once locked the front in a straight line in the rain and was on my *** so fast I don't remember falling. And I did not hit my head or anything like that. One second I brake. Half a second later I'm on my butt sliding toward the truck I braked for watching my bike slide past me on it's side.

That was years ago now (think it was 2010) but still makes me a bit nervous in the rain. I don't follow as closely anymore.

Very rainy year this year and could be a factor.

Also notice many drivers seem to be extra cautious, at least for when a light turns yellow. Had 2 events this year where drivers in front of me slammed on brakes instead of cautiously proceeding through. There was no way I could brake in time and needed to go around them with plenty of yellow light left. And I do not tail gate, so it is not a factor in following too closely. In last 10 years of riding, that has never happened to me before.
If I can stop I will stop. If you rear end someone stopping for a yellow you were following too closely. But everyone, including me, follows too closely. What bugs me is I've noticed a few people this year stop while the light is still green.

I didn't know they had ABS that helps with braking during cornering now. Which bikes have that?

I once locked the front in a straight line in the rain and was on my *** so fast I don't remember falling. And I did not hit my head or anything like that. One second I brake. Half a second later I'm on my butt sliding toward the truck I braked for watching my bike slide past me on it's side.

That was years ago now (think it was 2010) but still makes me a bit nervous in the rain. I don't follow as closely anymore.

High end KTMs, BMWs and Ducatis have it. All gyro and computer controlled. It's totally amazing once you know it's kicked in. Before that you'll not realize it's there.

Edit...and yes I meant cornering ABS not connected. Sorry.

Actually C-ABS is combined ABS.
And the state of the art has moved well forward since then even tho that alone is a treat.

I once locked the front in a straight line in the rain and was on my *** so fast I don't remember falling.

front wheel washouts are the worst ...so damn quick ...shoulder still hurts from mine going down on green moss...Australian equivalent of black ice. :(

High end KTMs, BMWs and Ducatis have it. All gyro and computer controlled. It's totally amazing once you know it's kicked in. Before that you'll not realize it's there.

Edit...and yes I meant cornering ABS not connected. Sorry.

High end jap bikes also have it i believe? (R1?)

front wheel washouts are the worst ...so damn quick ...shoulder still hurts from mine going down on green moss...Australian equivalent of black ice. :(

Amen to that.

Hit some ridiculous wet roads in the northern Thailand Mountains, was creeping down a hairpin about to make my turn and the next thing i knew the bike was on its side sliding down the turn with me sliding next to it! My ego tells me i hit oil or something. ~sigh

OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt is very alarmed. Unfortunately he is not alarmed enough to actually release any useful information on the causes and circumstances of any of these accidents. Perhaps we could all learn something from these tragedies if only the OPP could expend a little more effort in the press release. Other than sensationalism, whats the point? I just don't get it.

It's true the OPP are foolish to withhold details but we are not fools.

We all know what kills bikers the most.
1. Speed
2. Alcohol
3. Smidsy

Our goal here isn't to argue with the police or excuse the dead. It is to silence the former and remember the latter.
Let them both have nothing to say about us next year.

What does your insurance company categorize the ninja 1000?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I'm just saying from the perspective of the computer, the way abs was done in a car where they would watch for a wheel to stop rotating and then release the brakes would work very poorly on a bike when it was leaned over. I think cars now have gotten smarter and look for wheel speed difference not just stopped but the bike still has trouble with less data to try to figure out what is happening.

In a straight line I agree, a motorcycle is inherently very stable and it's the rider that screws it up.

As far as braking distance goes put a bike up against a car on a crap surface and I expect most cars will beat most bikes. Unfortunately more and more of our secondary roads are going tar and chip(or just busted asphalt).

The important point is a bike can get unrecoverably out of shape through a momentary control input (eg too much brake causing the front to wash or a big slide on the rear). A decent rider could ride out the sliding rear but that one is a ***** for a computer. If it let's go of the brakes it could send you to the moon, if it does nothing you may lowside. The computer doesn't have a good option to help save you (unless it can prevent the slide from starting in the first place which is easier said than done and may result in way too much nanny ing which riders would hate). In a car even if wheels lock up, the computer has time to deal with it before it's a problem. If you start rotating the computer can brake the inside wheels to tighten the corner etc, it is just a much more controllable system to help get you out of a mistake.

All the top ss litre bikes now have lean angle abs as well as many other fancy computer controlled gadgets. Launch, wheelie, tc, etc as well as bidirectional quick shifters. No more clutch.

Back
Top Bottom