OPP: Number of fatal motorcycle collisions in GTA 'very alarming' | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP: Number of fatal motorcycle collisions in GTA 'very alarming'

kiwi

Ontario Provincial Police say the number of fatal motorcycle collisions on GTA highways so far this year is “very alarming.”
In a video posted online, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said so far in 2017, 30 motorcycle riders have died in collisions.
“That is very alarming considering last year, all year, we only had 36,” he said.
“Last year was the worst year we’ve had in the last decade and the fact is we’ve had 30 people on motorcycles die already this year and there is still a lot of riding season left

http://www.cp24.com/news/opp-number-of-fatal-motorcycle-collisions-in-gta-very-alarming-1.3559385

Well....this is what happens when you let a rider with near zero experience ride something they can't handle.

油井緋色;2519894 said:
Well....this is what happens when you let a rider with near zero experience ride something they can't handle.
Is there actually any indication that a large number of riders killed are beginners or newbies? Maybe it's a combination of things like more distracted driving, more bikes on the roads every year - who knows? Wonder if anything is being studied based on the hours and hours they close accident scenes after a fatal crash or is all that just so insurers can fight it out in civil suits in court later on.

Is there actually any indication that a large number of riders killed are beginners or newbies? Maybe it's a combination of things like more distracted driving, more bikes on the roads every year - who knows? Wonder if anything is being studied based on the hours and hours they close accident scenes after a fatal crash or is all that just so insurers can fight it out in civil suits in court later on.

Yes. When you pull up the reports by MTO, you'll see the majority of motorcycle accidents and fatalities are single vehicle accidents.

While I admit the statistic is misleading because we don't know if a car ran away from the scene, my experience with the riding scene agrees with MTO's statistics.

Motorcycles are unforgiving machines with a high skill floor (required skill to operate) and high skill ceiling (maximum skill). Many riders never reach the required skill floor but end up on a supersport.

When we compound lack of skill + the egotistical nature of riding, you get riders going above their limits. The result of doing so, on a motorcycle, results in crashing. Unless motorcycles incorporate ways to stop riders from riding above their skills, this trend will never stop....but frankly, I don't want it to. Part of the reason riding is so appealing to me is the zero ******** aspect; a rider can ******** all they want, but if they try to prove it, they're ****ing going down harder than a whore for crack money.

Graduated licensing, the great leveller. Pretty sure it gets rid of a lot of the posing and ego driven behaviour in the UK...at least that's my experience.

Yup - Australia has a good program. Many riders never go to the open licence ( above 650 cc or a certain horsepower ) as the test is pretty strict.

This is the Learner program
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/learning

So a stock 650 Vstrom you would need an open licence but they sell a power restricted version

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/qride-qsafe#unrestricted

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/moving

Yup - Australia has a good program. Many riders never go to the open licence ( above 650 cc or a certain horsepower ) as the test is pretty strict.

This is the Learner program
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/learning

So a stock 650 Vstrom you would need an open licence but they sell a power restricted version

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/qride-qsafe#unrestricted

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/getting/moving

So how does license transfer and/or visiting work? Full license here equals unrestricted full license there?

I'm not sure I would draw the line at restricting a 650, they aren't exactly fire breathing, but I like that they are trying to help people learn safely.

Visiting is not an issue ...if you have a motorcycle licence ...ie full M ...you can ride what you want.

Not sure about less than that.

It's a combination of HP and 650 restriction ..so a noob is not getting to ride a 600cc SS. Yamaha has tamed down some of it's machines to meet Australian and European L standards.

I'd be curious to see the 'at fault' aspect to that statistic. That would provide additional useful context.

"In GTA" implies mostly urban area; there's not many rural areas left within the actual GTA. The usual (historical) pattern has been for single vehicle (single bike) collisions to be biased towards rural areas and multi vehicle (car + bike, usually intersection) collisions to be biased towards urban areas. The centerline-crossing collisions seem to be happening more this year, but the ones that I can recall offhand have not been in the GTA.

Year-over-year comparisons with single/double digit volumes is meaningless. Some trends may be observed, but you'd have to compare the specific metric (rider deaths) against the total population (perhaps person/miles-ridden). If the person/miles ridden was double this year vs last, perhaps a small increase in deaths is actually a good trend?

Maybe the MTO could tabulate m/c registrations including the declared mileage to come up with some sort of overall activity level.

Year-over-year comparisons with single/double digit volumes is meaningless. Some trends may be observed, but you'd have to compare the specific metric (rider deaths) against the total population (perhaps person/miles-ridden). If the person/miles ridden was double this year vs last, perhaps a small increase in deaths is actually a good trend?

Maybe the MTO could tabulate m/c registrations including the declared mileage to come up with some sort of overall activity level.

Makes sense. In addition, our 6 month riding season for most people. So last year was about 6 a month and this year, with about one month left, there's 6 a month.

Makes sense. In addition, our 6 month riding season for most people. So last year was about 6 a month and this year, with about one month left, there's 6 a month.

There were a lot more "good" riding days last summer compared to this summer, especially if you look at weekend weather, which is when a lot of the riding is going on I suspect. Not sure how that plays into this, if at all?

"In GTA" implies mostly urban area; there's not many rural areas left within the actual GTA. The usual (historical) pattern has been for single vehicle (single bike) collisions to be biased towards rural areas and multi vehicle (car + bike, usually intersection) collisions to be biased towards urban areas. The centerline-crossing collisions seem to be happening more this year, but the ones that I can recall offhand have not been in the GTA.

Interesting, never looked at it like that, but makes a lot of sense

Typical OPP mumbo jumbo. Throwing some random numbers without any context.
No **** all the accidents happened on clear days.

They said yesterday that in 18 of the 30 accidents the riders were doing nothing wrong. We're being hit by more drunks, distracted idiots and morons.

So, you're asking that this and previous statistics be normalized for comparison purposes. Even if mortality statistics were able to be normalized, what would it mean? How could the data be applied to programs that provide better driving conditions or a reduction in motorcycle deaths? I think the use of unvarnished death rates by the OPP is a means to highlight a rising trend in terms most lay-persons can understand even though the numbers may not be statistically correlated.

Back
Top Bottom