New to Forum - Rider of Yamaha FZ6R for5 years! Going for my Full M soon! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to Forum - Rider of Yamaha FZ6R for5 years! Going for my Full M soon!

Sixpackgal28

Greetings Everyone;
I am new to the this Forum but have been riding for 5 years. I have a Yamaha FZ6 and live north of TO. Am getting ready for my full M test in Sept. and was looking for some tips on what instructors are looking for and what your experiences have been? I am confident and love my bike, but am looking forward to getting to know some great people on the site and learning!
CA

Hey
I got my M few weeks ago
so its still fresh in my head...my suggestion is to dust off that moto handbook and refresh ur mind on some of rules we all learned to ignore...

As for road test -

First - pay full attention to the traffic, as you may need to force your move into lanes, as well as your shoulder checks...very important for examiner to see your helmet moving...
put some kind of large sticker on back of it so they see movement...and they will also tell you that you dont do enough of 'em...lol

Second - pay full attention to examiners instructions...the comm
( ear piece ) they provide is crappy, bulky under helmet
and turned up loud so be ready...

Third and most important
STAY FOCUSED during test. Dont think about failing/passing - just ride properly ( rules, signals & speed limit ) and dont worry about examiners car behind you...they will keep up...

The test is a very short 15-20 min ride...
local roads/ hwy section / back to local roads...
may have to perform emergency stop as well...

Good luck!
Lemme know how goes...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

@Sixpackgal28 welcome to the forum!
There are a few threads from the past that outline everything you need to know. Take some time to search through them.
Here are a few of the imho best tips:
Keep your head on a swivel. They don't know if you are checking for cars at driveways etc if you only use your eyes. I used painters tape and put a + on the back of my helmet to exaggerate it.
Also use that painter's tape to tape the earpiece to your ear. I also put an earplug in my other ear to aid in being able to hear them.
Only left foot down at a stop, bike in gear, right foot on brake.
Let us know how it goes.
And how north of the gta are you?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Here's everything I can remember.

You go through three sections. Residential, Business, Highway.

Tire track
One lane, Left tire track. Two or more lanes, Left tire track of rightmost lane. This is the normal position.
Middle lane. Either tire track.
If you're turning left, passing, or told to move to the left lane. Right tire track.

Head movement
It's best to know why you're moving your head, rather than relying on lots of random head movement, which can make you dizzy.

Everything begins and ends with a mirror check.
You might want to tip your mirrors out a little, so that you have to your head, and not just your eyes.

You're looking for/at hazards, laneways, onramps etc.

Lane change
Mirror check, Signal, Blind spot check, Move, Cancel signal, Mirror check.
If you can't get in, you cancel your signal, adjust, and then start the sequence over.
If a new lane opens up and you get in before the dotted lines, then you don't need to signal.

Intersections
Through Intersection: Mirror check, Look Left, Look Right, (Look Left <- this one is optional, but you need it everywhere else, so . . .) , Pass through intersection, Mirror Check.
Stop Intersection: Stop, Mirror check, Look around you, be aware of what's going on, As the opposing light turns amber or red, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Proceed through on green, Mirror check. Brake light must be on at all times, while stopped.

Left turn no stop: Mirror check, Signal, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check. Don't cross over the lines unless it's an obvious painting mistake.
Left turn stop: Mirror check, signal, stop behind the white line, A plum bob from the front of your tire should be behind the line, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot check, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check.
If you pull forward and stop again, you need to repeat the L-R-L-Blindspot. You can't stop on the pedestrian crossing; you're either before it, or after it.
Left tire track to left tire track on one lane. Right tire track to right tire track on multi lanes, then lane change right.

Right turn no stop: Mirror check, Signal, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check. Don't apex.
Right turn stop: Mirror check, signal, Stay left most of the way to the line, then angle the bike to the right to prevent cars cutting inside you, stop behind the white line, Mirror check, Left, Right, Left, Blindspot check, Turn, Cancel Signal, Mirror check.
Left tire track to left tire track.

Residential Area
Speed limit will be lower, 40 here, might be 30 some places.
One lane, left tire track normally.

There will be blind corners, where you need to move to the outside, until you can see around the corner, and then move back.

There will be hazards, usually designated by signs, children playing, paths coming out, a playground, school, field, or an old age home, firehall etc. You need to turn and look at the hazards.

Business Area
Speed limit will be higher, 60 here.
Multi lane. May have a Boulevard between oncoming lanes.

There will be a couple of hazards that you need to recognize and look towards.
Things like funeral parlours, graveyards, Tim Horton's, Strip Mall entrances, etc. may be those things. If there's a boulevard between, then lots of looks to the right, some left. Otherwise, look both ways.

At some point you'll be asked to make a lane change to the left, and back to the right, when it's safe to do so. Sometimes there might be someone passing you in your blindspot when you're asked. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move left tire track of right lane to right tire track of left lane. Cancel signal. Mirror check. Drive a second or two. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move back to left tire track of right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

There will be places where you make a left turn and then need to get over to the right, which you should be doing anyways, unless instructed otherwise.

Roadside Stop
Might be in a no parking zone, but shouldn't be in a no stopping zone. Don't rush it. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot check. Pull over to the right, but not blocking any laneways or fire hydrants, and stop. Fourways on if you have them. Sidestand down. Neutral, or off. Off the bike. When told to proceed. Sidestand up (don't want to do Bat turns), Start bike if it needs it. Fourways off. Mirror check. Signal Left. Blindspot. Pull immediately out to left tire track. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

Highway
On ramp that enters on the right. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot check. Enter onramp. Cancel Signal. Mirror check. Either tire track. I stay left. Be smooth. Before the yellow line turns white, your signal should be on. Look left and pick an opening in the traffic. Accelerate to traffic speed. Mirror check. Blindspot check. Move into the opening right to the left tire track of the right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check. Check speed is near the speed limit. (Some examiners may be more strict about the speed limit than others, but I find it easier to accelerate to traffic speed, and then back off to the limit, once I'm in).

At some point you'll be asked to make a lane change to the left, and back to the right, when it's safe to do so.
Sometimes there might be someone passing you in your blindspot when you're asked. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move left tire track of right lane to right tire track of left lane. Cancel signal. Mirror check. Drive a second or two. Mirror check. Signal. Blindspot. Move back to left tire track of right lane. Cancel Signal. Mirror check.

Offramp that exits to the right. Line on the right side will turn double thick. At that point begin your mirror check, signal sequence, blindspot, pull into the offramp lane, as soon as the dotted lines start, a couple of gentle squeezes on the brake lever before you get to the bullnose, whether you're braking or not (rear brake might not be adjusted to show brake light, unless you push it pretty hard, front brake is usually better, but make sure you're not leaned over and slamming it on), cancel signal. Proceed in the direction instructed.

Notes:
Don't worry too much about mistakes, but correct them on the next sequence. You're not being tested 100% of the time.
Tape the earphone in. Surgical tape works best.
Don't worry about the examiner vehicle, ride your own ride. They will try and keep up. If they can't, they'll tell you what to do on the radio.
Touching another vehicle, dropping the bike, or cutting in, so that someone behind has to brake hard, running red lights, etc. can fail you right away.
Don't cross solid white lines.
If there's nothing coming and you wait too long at a traffic light, you can be marked.
Brake light must be on at all times when stopped at a traffic light.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice about exaggerated head movement.

Also be very careful to maintain blocking position. Friend of mine failed for this reason. If test takes you to a multi lane road just stay to the right and block in left tire track.

One more. Unlike typical gta driving behaviour where an early turn signal is an invite to get cutoff. The instructors like to see that blinker on early. Before the shoulder check.

Back
Top Bottom