How much do insurance premiums go up after a claim? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much do insurance premiums go up after a claim?

OP, let me give you some REAL world experience. 2 years ago, in a road rage incident, a cager tried to pass me in my lane, (single lane each direction), in doing so, he clipped the side of my cruiser. I pulled up beside him as he was trapped behind a LONG line of cars. He won't get out of cage instead floored it pulling out into the oncoming lane, causing approaching cars onto the shoulder.

There was ZERO damage to my bike, he left some paint transfer on a chrome part, which wiped right off. the next day I go to CR center. They advise he had reported damage to his vehicle, and had reported that I had fled the scene. I advised the officer I had video of the ENTIRE incident, as I had front and rear facing cameras on the bike, as well as an independent witness, who stopped at the next intersection, to advise he would be willing to substantiate the entire incident.

Cop says "don't care about the video or the witness, just fill out the report"

Two days later, HIS insurance called me to advise me he had $3200 damage to his vehicle and I was 100% at fault. I advised I had video to the contrary. they DEMANDED I turn the video over to them. I told them to pound salt. Then I called MY insurer who said that they had been contacted, by the other insurer, (and based solely upon his statement), they agreed I was 100% at fault. I advised I had witnesses, and video. Response was, don't care about the witness. I sent them a 5 second clip from both the cameras, they called back 10 minutes later to say upon reviewing the video they had contacted other company to advise their client was 100% at fault for the accident and my record would be adjusted to show a NO fault decision, (despite my NEVER having made a claim and had i not contacted them, I wouldn't have known until renewal time, that I had an AT FAULT claim.

My suggestion,also as an ex copper is as much as it sucks eat the damage, it is mainly cosmetic, so fix the crucial parts now and then the cosmetics over the winter.

Last edited:
Well I don't think I'll ever be in an at fault accident

Hahah. Accidents aren't usually planned. 4 months from now when you hit a patch of black ice and rear end someone..yeah, at fault accident...assuming your cars are with TD as well?

Even if you bike is solo on the policy, accidents happen. To suggest you'll "never" have an accident is silly.

if this one is tough to prove then I'd rather use it, but obviously I'll try not to.

You have nothing, absolutely zilch, to lose trying to claim it as a hit and run..which is exactly what it was. It will be a not at fault if you can prove it. Unfortunately that's harder now since you've left the scene - in the future call the police the second you find your bike damaged and don't move it an inch, especially when it's on it's side like that - the officer will be able to substantiate the damage on the bike to the actual fall.

I can't comprehend why you would want to willingly just claim this at an at-fault. It will haunt you for 7 years if you ever leave TD as it will be registered on AutoPlus as a 100% at fault claim which will jack your rates at any other insurer, or may actually cause some to not even be willing to underwrite you. Accident forgiveness doesn't follow you to different insurance companies, nor does it mean that the claim didn't actually occur - if you have another at fault most insurance companies will then retoractively nail you with the initially forgiven one meaning you WILL see a huge jump in your rates, and possibly even a non-renewal of your policy, at which point you're looking for a new insurance company (like it or not) with 2 at fault accidents on your record.

Also, what is the process here? I take it to my mechanic and he gives them an estimate on how much it will cost to fix? I'd prefer to fix it myself so the bike isn't stuck in a shop for a month till every single part is delivered and fixed.

Report the accident as a hit and run. Bring the photos and all evidence you can dig up to the reporting centre and do everything possible to make sure it's documented as a hit and run.

Then you call your insurance company and report the hit and run. Again, be very clear and indicate you have evidence of the fact it was a hit and run. Be upfront and be willing to send them the photos of the bike on it's side in the parking lot as well as the damage after you picked it up.

They may have a recommended shop where they'll ask you to take it (or they may not, motorcycles are different than cars) but YOU can take it wherever you want in the end - it's your right by law.

Then take it to the shop and tell your insurer where you took it - their estimator will then work with the shop on the repairs.

You get a call when it's done, and you go pick it up.

As for Hedo's situation above, IMHO you are in a stronger position as there's no "he said, she said" possibility, being a hit and run, and your photo evidence of the bike on it's side in the parking lot strengthens your hand especially when the estimator can see the damage on the physical bike matches what would be expected from the photo.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys, I decided to file a no fault claim. Speaking with the lady on the phone, she had no problem putting it in as a hit and run and just telling me to get the witnesses' contact information. I'll sadly have to pay $500, but the damage looks like at least 2k so should be worth it. Very good points about at fault haunting me in the future! Does anyone know any good shops around Toronto I can take the bike to?

Also, there are a few chips and scratches in the fork and the rear peg, can I expect to receive some compensation for the fact that my resale value will now plummet even if the bike is fixed, when there are scrapes on the fork and caliper?

Either you get the damage fixed as part of the claim, or you accept the way it's returned to you as acceptable and the matter is closed - there's unlikely to be any depreciation coverage unless it was something you've specifically paid extra for on your policy.

Now, you could insist that this minor damage be fixed...which means new forks, and pegs..if the estimator agrees that the damage was likely a fault of the accident. They may dispute it, they may not - every insurance company can be different, but they will not fix things that they might think were pre-existing, but again, if your photo of the bike on the ground show fork to asphalt contact, that helps your case..

That said, there is a dollar figure beyond which they will simply write the bike off, as well...but that comes down to how much you insist on every little nick and ding gets fixed vs the value of the bike. If they write it off you get a cheque for it's value and walk away. Considering the bike is still quite valuable I don't think the damage repairs, even including new forks, would result in a write off...but who knows - the labor involved also factors into things. And ultimately the estimator is the one who decides all that.

Now that we are nearing a resolution, I feel comfortable saying "Boom! @shakalaka"
Sorry. Had too.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

On a semi-related note in regards to contacting police for an accident:

On the weekend I was at Yonge/Finch waiting behind a Fiat to make a right-hand turn onto Finch on a red. Long story short, this Fiat made the turn and side swiped a PT Cruiser that had just come through the intersection (turned wide). I pulled over to make sure everyone was okay. I noticed there was debris, some sort of liquid pooling under the Fiat and the PT Cruiser couldnt be moved due to a busted front rim. I advised them to exchange info and contact the police, the PT Crusier was likely a write off due to additional damage. To my surprise the Fiat driver informed me the police told her they wouldn't be coming. I then called them myself to advise of the situation and got told them same thing, "the $1,000+ 'law' is an old one and they only send a car out if there is damage to public property or personal injury". I advised them the scene was still a hazard to the public due to debris, the unmovable vehicle blocking 1.5 lanes and the liquid under the car, so they sent the fire department.

TLDR: They don't send cops out anymore in Toronto to accidents unless there's damage to public property or someone is injured.

Now that we are nearing a resolution, I feel comfortable saying "Boom! @shakalaka"
Sorry. Had too.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

NBA Jam ftw!
"He's heating up!"

I guess you weren't able to get a plate number from the car that hit you? My insurance company told me if I can get that in the case of a hit and run I'm all good for no fault and no deductible.

I guess you weren't able to get a plate number from the car that hit you? My insurance company told me if I can get that in the case of a hit and run I'm all good for no fault and no deductible.

Only if they can identify the other person and confirm corresponding damage on their vehicle. In the case of my wife's last hit and run we had the plate of the vehicle suspected of it, but the police attended and couldn't find any damage that matched ours, so they wouldn't pin the fault on them. Accordingly we had to pay the deductible to get the damage fixed.

Has anyone had any experience with insurance companies writing bikes off? The damage estimate with labour is around $7k, so I'm worried they'll write off the bike even though there's no structural damage, just cosmetic. Would I be able to buy it off them at that point and for how much usually? 30% of retail? Would it still be street legal?

Has anyone had any experience with insurance companies writing bikes off? The damage estimate with labour is around $7k, so I'm worried they'll write off the bike even though there's no structural damage, just cosmetic. Would I be able to buy it off them at that point and for how much usually? 30% of retail? Would it still be street legal?

I suspected the number would be much more than 2K as you had a nice bike. The insurance company gets a salvage estimate (what someone is willing to pay them for the bike as it sits). You can match that price and keep the bike if you want (for round numbers, insurance company either gives you 6K, or 3K and a bike that they had a 3K salvage estimate on).

I don't think they brand in this situation with cosmetic damage, but others are more knowledgeable.

It may be hard to get collision insurance on it if you buy it back as obviously it has existing damage that insurance companies may make you fix before they'll touch it. I'm not sure if the MTO has any involvement either (eg does it need a new safety before going back on the road).

Last edited:
If it's not branded as salvage, you can put it back on the road. Beware that if it IS branded, in Ontario you cannot under any circumstances get it returned to "Rebuilt" branding so that it would be road legal again - that does not exist for motorcycles. There was a thread here not that long ago about it.

So, if it's not branded, you buy it back from the insurance company, rebuild it as you see fit and put it back on the road. I agree with GreyGhost above, you'd want to ensure that the insurance company is willing to insure it for you again afterwards, even though without any branding it'll be considered a "normal" vehicle for all intents and purposes at that point. Don't be surprised if they want it to be inspected and possibly an appraisal beforehand - they will certainly want to see that it was rebuilt fully and properly before they'll insure it again.

It's likely the ownership paper trail will show that it was registered to the underwriter/insurance company at one point, so keep in mind that the accident will probably never be able to be completely hidden from any future owners as the UVIP will show that trail, as well as the dates.

Only if they can identify the other person and confirm corresponding damage on their vehicle. In the case of my wife's last hit and run we had the plate of the vehicle suspected of it, but the police attended and couldn't find any damage that matched ours, so they wouldn't pin the fault on them. Accordingly we had to pay the deductible to get the damage fixed.

Not sure if you're saying you have to ID the actual driver but I was told that's not required. Car is insured, not the driver, so it doesn't matter who was driving it. I've always heard Police have zero say in insurance fault (and they've given me completely incorrect information several times) but I've never been in this situation so maybe you do need them in this case.

I'm pretty sure you're right, they only have to be able to identify the vehicle, not necessarily the driver, I think I just kind of worded it badly.

Sorry. Had too.

:lmao: damn.. who needs cable when we have GTAM :)

Do you guys know if a repair shop will ever let you keep the old parts they replace on your bike? Some have pretty minor scratches and I'd like to have them for my own projects.

Do you guys know if a repair shop will ever let you keep the old parts they replace on your bike? Some have pretty minor scratches and I'd like to have them for my own projects.
They should for normal repairs. Actually you should always ask for your old parts just to verify that they changed anything. But it might be different for an insurance job.

FYI the bike was written off and I was able to keep it plus ~$7k so not too bad of a result. Also, it was branded as None, which means I can insure it and it is street legal.

Not a terrible outcome. It's still rideable I guess to finish out the season at least?

Back
Top Bottom