Lane Intrusion Accidents & Formation Riding | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane Intrusion Accidents & Formation Riding

and that's the way to get whacked by a cager across the line ....no idea what they are teaching but it's ********.

You only stay in the left tire track before the corner to see then cut across tight to the inside to avoid the driver crossing the line.

Staying near the centre line all the way around a blind right hand is asking to get clipped.

If you see something, you move if you have to. If the delta V is too high, you're probably messed up in either lane, and I've found it to be more likely to see another bike or a transport truck, crossing the line, anyways. Where I ride, there is sometimes debris, sand, rocks, overhanging branches, and eroded pavement, along the right side of the twisties.

And keep in mind that the testing isn't done on curvy country roads, above the speed limit.

The single they use for high beam, I use for cop. What does everyone else use for cop?

It is high beam, which is a helmet tap. Shh, don't let the police know. ;)

Last edited:
The single they use for high beam, I use for cop. What does everyone else use for cop?
Yup
Tap on helmet means popo

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

The signal they use for high beam, I use for cop. What does everyone else use for cop?

Eh...I do the same...thought tapping the helmet was universal for "perchance there is a rozzer nearby, take good care of your speed in these environs dear chap".

Eh...I do the same...thought tapping the helmet was universal for "perchance there is a rozzer nearby, take good care of your speed in these environs dear chap".

. . . and turn down your high beams. :)

Side by side (frequently seen with cruisers ... and OPP) is insanity. I want that space available in case I have to avoid something. I NEVER want another bike in that space.

Locking yourself rigidly into a set lane position because someone said that's the "blocking position" and thou shalt always ride there, is equally insanity. I will move left to right within my lane depending on circumstances. If there's no car behind then "blocking position" is pointless because there's nothing to block. In europe riders are taught to take up as little space as possible and car drivers expect this ... you ride close to the outer edge (extreme left in UK, extreme right elsewhere). But circumstances change. Approaching a blind crest, my preferred lane position is the left side of the right car wheel track. Far enough off the edge to accommodate a pedestrian or bicyclist who might be hidden on the other side of the hill, but towards the right to put me further away from a potential oncoming car that is over the center line (e.g. riding around a pedestrian or bicyclist on the other side of the road). Yes, you can not reduce the risk 100%. If you come over a crest and meet an oncoming car completely in the wrong lane then the game's up. But in "normal" and "foreseeable" circumstances I think left side of right wheel track when going over a crest is the lowest risk.

If there is oncoming traffic then left side of lane (discourage them from crossing center line, shine my headlight as close as possible straight at them) until a second or two before meeting then shift to right side of lane in case they come over. If they seriously come over then I just have to make my already-planned shift right, a little stronger.

The SMIDSY wiggle when approaching an oncoming left-turner has been discussed before. Similar to above. Left side of lane until a couple seconds before then wiggle and shift right while gently but not visibly slowing down. (Don't give the oncoming driver the false impression that you are slowing down in order to make a turn at the intersection.) If the driver starts turning then you've already started the emergency maneuver.

If shifting about in my lane causes a car driver to think I'm erratic and unpredictable (because they don't understand why I'm moving about), maybe that's a good thing.

The oft-recommended staggered formation does not allow for any of the above, either. Yes you can do it (because nobody is directly beside) but it results in too-close following distances. If there are corners involved then it forces sub-optimal cornering lines.

Riding within your limits and the bike's limits ought to go without saying; no lane crossing.

Staggered is for getting from point A to point B, in a group, with the best chance for safety. It shouldn't be a straight jacket, though. The distance between bikes should be close enough that it discourages incursion by traffic from lanes traveling in the same direction, but not so close that there's no room to maneuver. That's a fine line to walk. In areas with one lane going each way you can spread out a bit, but you still don't want to encourage traffic coming up behind you, passing, then cutting back into the middle of the group.

The big thing is THINK.

Staggered is for getting from point A to point B, in a group, with the best chance for safety. It shouldn't be a straight jacket, though. The distance between bikes should be close enough that it discourages incursion by traffic from lanes traveling in the same direction, but not so close that there's no room to maneuver. That's a fine line to walk. In areas with one lane going each way you can spread out a bit, but you still don't want to encourage traffic coming up behind you, passing, then cutting back into the middle of the group.

The big thing is THINK.

So how does a following vehicle pass?

A long train of staggered-formation bikes going below the posted speed limit is a pretty good way to get drivers ticked off, and bad things happen when drivers get ticked off.

I don't ride in huge groups like that.

So how does a following vehicle pass?

If we're talking a sane size of group then all at once, as a safe situation arises.

A long train of staggered-formation bikes going below the posted speed limit is a pretty good way to get drivers ticked off, and bad things happen when drivers get ticked off.

I don't ride in huge groups like that.

Large groups should break up into smaller clumps, with space between them, to permit faster vehicles a place to go when they pass.

Can't say that I've been part of a group which was travelling slower than the speed of traffic, even when I was involved in a ride that was going slower than the speed of traffic (if you get what I mean).

Last edited:
If we're talking a sane size of group then all at once, as a safe situation arises.

Large groups should break up into smaller clumps, with space between them, to permit faster vehicles a place to go when they pass.

Can't say that I've been park of a group which was travelling slower than the speed of traffic, even when I was involved in a ride that was going slower than the speed of traffic (if you get what I mean).

YES. Humongous groups are bad news. I've been part a huge one last year (like 50+) and no bueno. Slowest ride ever.

Back
Top Bottom