Lane Intrusion Accidents & Formation Riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane Intrusion Accidents & Formation Riding

ReSTored

We've had 3 major lane intrusion accidents over the past 2 - 3 weeks (Highway 7 & 118 + 507) with 7 deaths, many injured and multiple bikes involved. Causes include a truck, a car and a rider crossing over the center line and I'll leave the discussion about blame and what the lead rider who was struck might have done, or not done, for another time.

When I'm out riding I'm noticing a significant number of bikes travelling around as if they were in a parade or on a controlled access race track. 8 to 10 or more cruisers doing 70 - 80 km, running side by side or barely staggered and 2 - 3 bike lengths apart. Then you have the sport or SS bikes, running single file, 30 - 40 km over the limit, if not more, and 3 - 4 bike lengths between them.

If someone crosses the center line the lead rider, unfortunately, may have very limited options and/or no time to react before the impact. But for others in the group, if something goes wrong up front and you're running close together you have virtually no reaction time and then you pile into the wreckage. Leave enough space to stop or take evasive action. This may not help the poor lead guy, but would reduce deaths and injuries to others

Also, as a footnote, I have a cottage in the Kawarthas and have done the Northey's Bay Road, 36, 507, Glenmorgan and back loop at least a hundred times over the years. Never once have I had any issue with a lane intrusion or any unsafe driving by a car or truck. Wish I could say the same about bikes. Aggressive tailgating, reckless passing of me or other vehicles and one incident where a rider ran wide on a turn, about a foot into my lane, and almost clipped me.

Its no fun if you dont show the lead rider the front wheel it keeps the pace honest:rolleyes:
btw remembered that lime green ride muskoka that huge pileup first set of corners when chubby dude on zx10 went weed wacking all on video

Last edited:
Side by side (frequently seen with cruisers ... and OPP) is insanity. I want that space available in case I have to avoid something. I NEVER want another bike in that space.

Locking yourself rigidly into a set lane position because someone said that's the "blocking position" and thou shalt always ride there, is equally insanity. I will move left to right within my lane depending on circumstances. If there's no car behind then "blocking position" is pointless because there's nothing to block. In europe riders are taught to take up as little space as possible and car drivers expect this ... you ride close to the outer edge (extreme left in UK, extreme right elsewhere). But circumstances change. Approaching a blind crest, my preferred lane position is the left side of the right car wheel track. Far enough off the edge to accommodate a pedestrian or bicyclist who might be hidden on the other side of the hill, but towards the right to put me further away from a potential oncoming car that is over the center line (e.g. riding around a pedestrian or bicyclist on the other side of the road). Yes, you can not reduce the risk 100%. If you come over a crest and meet an oncoming car completely in the wrong lane then the game's up. But in "normal" and "foreseeable" circumstances I think left side of right wheel track when going over a crest is the lowest risk.

If there is oncoming traffic then left side of lane (discourage them from crossing center line, shine my headlight as close as possible straight at them) until a second or two before meeting then shift to right side of lane in case they come over. If they seriously come over then I just have to make my already-planned shift right, a little stronger.

The SMIDSY wiggle when approaching an oncoming left-turner has been discussed before. Similar to above. Left side of lane until a couple seconds before then wiggle and shift right while gently but not visibly slowing down. (Don't give the oncoming driver the false impression that you are slowing down in order to make a turn at the intersection.) If the driver starts turning then you've already started the emergency maneuver.

If shifting about in my lane causes a car driver to think I'm erratic and unpredictable (because they don't understand why I'm moving about), maybe that's a good thing.

The oft-recommended staggered formation does not allow for any of the above, either. Yes you can do it (because nobody is directly beside) but it results in too-close following distances. If there are corners involved then it forces sub-optimal cornering lines.

Riding within your limits and the bike's limits ought to go without saying; no lane crossing.

But in "normal" and "foreseeable" circumstances I think left side of right wheel track when going over a crest is the lowest risk.

I do a slight variation of that I stay hard to the right until the crest then shift enough once I see no vehicle to accommodate a hidden pedestrian or bicyclist

I figure taking out a cyclist or walker is fair trade against a head on...but I do angle off the hard right side the moment I can see no vehicle...it happens very quickly and it's habit now.
Approaching crests with some caution is always a good idea anyways.

Personally I try to position myself the best I can in my lane to see through the corner, but ready to use the rest of the lane as a buffer if needed. For a lot of country roads with lots of tree cover that does mean sitting fairly close to centre, but if the corner is completely blind, then I'll try to give at least half the lane for what might be coming the other way.

Now if the other vehicle is on the wrong side completely, as others have said, then all bets are off. That almost happened to me on the 507 3-4 years ago, when a Civic Si was coming the other way, and using both lanes of the road when cornering. Thankfully we met coming on to a straight, and the idiot moved back to his side of the road, while I was left shaking my head.

I've also had similar happen with bikes on the 507, in one case having a somewhat near miss with 2-3 riders, as there were turkeys on the road, and they went into oncoming in a corner to avoid them (again, shaking my head at their thought process).

As for group rides, accidents like these are also why I never really like to be up front with the first few bikes...always felt it is safer staying mid group or back with the sweep, leaving a large distance between me and the bike ahead (at least 2-5 seconds, or more than enough time to brake to 0 should I see something happen) when the road is twisty. Also if the rider ahead is running wide, I'll give them at least 2-4x the distance I was giving them before, and reduce speed accordingly. Sadly that sense of dread has already ended up in 1 accident in front of me...thankfully with no deaths and no long term injuries.

Last edited:
Why would you not hug the right? - crest or corner ...

I'd need to try and visualize the scenario, but if it was a right hand corner on flat land, then if you were to the outside of your lane, you'd be deeper into the corner before you could see anything coming the other way, and would result in a fairly bad line if you needed to make corrections. If you were closer to the centre line on approach (before leaning over), you potentially could see through the corner, then late apex, while moving more to the right of your lane. Keep in mind too up north animals and debris are also a concern, and if you are almost on the shoulder already you can be limiting your options.

For a left hand, then yes, you'd want to be more to the right vs the centre line, so you could again, see more through the corner before leaning the bike over and committing.

As for crests, those are always scary (in terms of traffic), so I'd try to stay a fair distance from the centre line since it is impossible to know what might be coming at you until it is 100% too late.

I do a lot of group riding and I never got the complete side by side thing nor would I ever consider it in a million years at speed - while poking through a town and you need to communicate to the rider beside you is bad enough and even that I feel uncomfortable with unless it's a VERY experienced rider. I will not do it while we are moving at all with my wife, for example, as her experience level isn't there yet.

Even when it's just my wife and I out riding together we maintain a well spaced stagger.

I do still see the side by side people (often husband and wife I would guess, as there's no sanctioned riding groups that would ever allow that AFAIK) and like others I think it's a recipe for disaster - something as little as a chunk of garbage coming out from under a car in front leaves either rider with nowhere to go to avoid.

However, the fact that the OPP (of all people, despite the fact it's illegal) continue to ride this way in group situations just legitimizes it for some.

http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/procession-142.jpg
procession-142.jpg

Last edited:
Yet being tight inside is both safest and the best line....

By all means start to the left to keep visibility then duck into the corner tight to the right ....

dea72f3f13cf35381f33b0e38a338ab0.jpg

most cars that are straying are half way into the lane ....

Yet being tight inside is both safest and the best line....

By all means start to the left to keep visibility then duck into the corner tight to the right ....

dea72f3f13cf35381f33b0e38a338ab0.jpg

most cars that are straying are half way into the lane ....

Isn't that diagram dependent on corner speed? Sure, if you're at track pace, that makes sense. But if you're riding at a reasonable pace or even a "spirited" pace (not even close to knee down stuff), then you should be able to hold a tight line all the way around the corner and not blow wide on exit.

On any trips I've been through hills and mountains, being that close to the centre line on a turn is at risk of cars crossing over. That's even more true on very scenic routes where drives have more of a tendency to look out the window and veer in to the next lane.

I'm a supporter of the police in general, but I must admit that so far as then setting examples for others on the road, they're almost universally terrible - failure to maintain lane dicipline through corners, signalling, driving in bad weather without any lights on, etc etc etc - they don't practice what they preach.

OPP squawking on 680 News today about 30 motorcycle deaths so far this year. In 18 of those the motorcycle was not doing anything wrong. They mention cagers crossing the centre line, changing lanes without looking and drunk drivers as factors. I have a feeling we're going to see quite a few more deaths this year at the hands of careless cage drivers.

then you should be able to hold a tight line all the way around the corner and not blow wide on exit.

You are moving out on exit to avoid a hidden bicyclist.....you don't want a tight line all the way around.....you want to minimize risk.
You are wide on entry to maximize vision around the corner before your cut it in almost a straight line then swing back out in case there was something hidden

I'm talking about delayed apex.

Personal experience: Campbellville Road / 5TH Sideroad:

Basically a straight road east of the 401 underpass, minimalist two lane, narrow gravel shoulders.

A furniture van blocks the westbound lanes to offload and the westbound commuter cagers just swerve around it like the eastbound traffic doesn't exist.

You don't need curves or group rides, people drive like S***.

<...>

Riding within your limits and the bike's limits ought to go without saying; no lane crossing.

This man knows his *****, i endorse this message.

I've had to keep up with a group on SS who were decent riders while i was on my 500... i stayed at the back and rode my own ride. since theyd wait at corners (where we had to turn).. theyd only have time to put their foot down before i caught up to them...it was like an elastic band. Just ride your own ride and dont ride with d0ucheb4gs

If you're trying to pass your motorcycle license, you do almost exactly the opposite of what some of you are saying.

On a blind right corner, you stay in the left tire track, close to the line. That way you can see further around the corner. No apex at all.

On a blind left, you kind of reverse apex the corner i.e. you move to the right tire track so that you can see further around the corner, and move back left when you can see down the road.

Normally, you wouldn't have brake lights on in either situation. Being able to see further, you should be able to react more quickly to a dangerous situation.

As far as formation riding. In double file, you should be at least 2 seconds from the person in your tire track, and at least 1 second from the person in the opposite tire track.

If you're cornering, or planning on moving fast, then the leader should break up the formation into single file, and you ride at least 2 seconds behind the bike in front of you.

It's not very difficult to do with a small group, but it almost never happens.

image-jpg.8175

On a blind right corner, you stay in the left tire track, close to the line. That way you can see further around the corner. No apex at all.

and that's the way to get whacked by a cager across the line ....no idea what they are teaching but it's ********.

You only stay in the left tire track before the corner to see then cut across tight to the inside to avoid the driver crossing the line.

Staying near the centre line all the way around a blind right hand is asking to get clipped.

Back
Top Bottom