2-3 day trip w/ camping - need ideas | GTAMotorcycle.com

2-3 day trip w/ camping - need ideas

Krime

Site Supporter
Looking to head out mid week. Passport being renewed so need to stick to Canada. I did Quebec last year which was a great ride. Thinking maybe again, but open to other ideas. Routes, campsites, etc. appreciated. Thanks.

Did you do Mauricie park? Shawinigan to 138 on 172?

Avoid the Windsor bit. The glacier scrubbed it flat as a pancake. It reminds me of Alberta.

They both look like fun.

I like elements of the second run.

Possibly because I've never done the North Bay bit before.

I did a loop through Algonquin with camping a week or so ago. Went from Kingston along Mazinaw Lake on 41 west at Denbigh, Bancroft, Maynooth, Algonquin East gate...camped a night then through the park on 60 then hit Dorset and Halliburton via some lovely roads on the way back. It's one of my favourite loops. Usually do it as a day trip but camping was fun this time and broke things up a bit. Camped at Lake of Two Rivers but next time I might head to one of the more remote drive in sites.

Avoid the Windsor bit. The glacier scrubbed it flat as a pancake. It reminds me of Alberta.

I realized on the map you can remove the directions from Detriot (hence Windsor), Ottawa and elsewhere so it's a clear path from Toronto to the loop which is great.

They both look like fun.

I like elements of the second run.

Possibly because I've never done the North Bay bit before.

I'm thinking the same. Haven't gone up that far North yet, and the other loop goes from Algonquin East to Ottawa, which I've likely covered parts of during last years ride to Quebec. Maybe if I want to extend the trip a bit, I'll incorporate elements of the 1st link and head a bit more East from Algonquin before heading back home.

I did a loop through Algonquin with camping a week or so ago. Went from Kingston along Mazinaw Lake on 41 west at Denbigh, Bancroft, Maynooth, Algonquin East gate...camped a night then through the park on 60 then hit Dorset and Halliburton via some lovely roads on the way back. It's one of my favourite loops. Usually do it as a day trip but camping was fun this time and broke things up a bit. Camped at Lake of Two Rivers but next time I might head to one of the more remote drive in sites.

Glad to hear, that's reassuring. How long does it take to complete the Algonquin pass through on 60? Is there any places to pick up food along the way before heading to the campground for the night?

Manitoulin Island?

much easier to go up that way and escape GTA traffic

and ferry rides are neat

Glad to hear, that's reassuring. How long does it take to complete the Algonquin pass through on 60? Is there any places to pick up food along the way before heading to the campground for the night?

Theres a store about 25km in from the east gate along with a cafeteria that serves hot meals and ice cream. If you camp at Lake of two rivers it's a 5-15 min walk depending on which site you have.

You can ride through the park in about 40 mins to an hour I think. There's considerable roadwork on 60 in the park right now so maybe a bit longer. That's without stopping though and you'll definitely want to stop a few times as the views are amazing. If you camp overnight in the park you could also explore either the east (Barry's bay) or west end (Dorset/Muskoka) or some of the asphalt/gravel roads in the park that lead to other stores/portage points/campgrounds.

Last edited:
How many KM's a day are you looking to ride? If you're looking for scenery and plenty of camping opportunities I just got back from a trip that took us up and over to Thunder Bay...and well past, but that's a different story. The stretch from Sault St Marie across to Nipigon was excellent on 2 wheels - IMHO the closest you'll get to riding in BC/AB whilst still still being in ON.

You'd definately need the full 3 days though as it's 1200KM each way roughly, and yeah, you'd be backtracking..but the scenery was so great I'd have gladly done it. We came back across the top on Hwy11 for the return.

Tons of crown land up there you can camp on without much issue, but bring bear spray.

Manitoulin Island?

much easier to go up that way and escape GTA traffic

and ferry rides are neat

Funny you mention that. I just discovered this site (http://www.gotourontario.ca/) where Manitoulin island routes are featured. Might be a good idea, although a friend of mine who is likely joining just did that ride last year so not sure if he's up for it again.

Theres a store about 25km in from the east gate along with a cafeteria that serves hot meals and ice cream. If you camp at Lake of two rivers it's a 5-15 min walk depending on which site you have.

You can ride through the park in about 40 mins to an hour I think. There's considerable roadwork on 60 in the park right now so maybe a bit longer. That's without stopping though and you'll definitely want to stop a few times as the views are amazing. If you camp overnight in the park you could also explore either the east (Barry's bay) or west end (Dorset/Muskoka) or some of the asphalt/gravel roads in the park that lead to other stores/portage points/campgrounds.

Sounds great, thanks. I'll factor in a good 2-3 hours to pass through.

How many KM's a day are you looking to ride? If you're looking for scenery and plenty of camping opportunities I just got back from a trip that took us up and over to Thunder Bay...and well past, but that's a different story. The stretch from Sault St Marie across to Nipigon was excellent on 2 wheels - IMHO the closest you'll get to riding in BC/AB whilst still still being in ON.

You'd definately need the full 3 days though as it's 1200KM each way roughly, and yeah, you'd be backtracking..but the scenery was so great I'd have gladly done it. We came back across the top on Hwy11 for the return.

Tons of crown land up there you can camp on without much issue, but bring bear spray.

Nothing too crazy, probably around 400km a day. Never considered going to Thunder Bay but you've got me really interested... although it will have to be for another trip. We have a 9 month old at home, so wifey wants me close-ish and to avoid putting on heavy kms in a short duration.

Sounds great, thanks. I'll factor in a good 2-3 hours to pass through.

No problem. I'm going to head up that way again soon. Maybe camp for a few nights and explore a bit more during the day. Last time I passed through (long day trip) I saw a moose which was neat but this time I want some pictures. Last time I camped though I found some bear crap 15ft from my tent.

Back
Top Bottom