M1 road test | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 road test

6bt

Hi guys,

Just curious what's involved with the m1 road test. My GF will be taking hers in Sept. I'm actually from NY, but on the forum since I ride up here.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gearing up course, or Ministry test?

Not entirely sure about it, as I took the Gearing Up course, but it says this in the handbook:
"The Level One road test deals with basic driving skills. It includes a three-part motorcycle skill test.
Sets of two cones placed one metre apart, with each set 4.5 metres apart (from the centre of the cone), are used to test your skill in manoeuvring your motorcycle."

Afaik, part of it is weaving through a set of cones, turning around and then riding straight through them coming to a stop.
It sounds like it might be harder for a beginner on a sport bike with limited handlebar turn.
This may be incorrect, though, and hopefully someone who as taken the Ministry test will clarify.
Possible icture of the test layout?
fileAsset

I should clarify. This is the road test she's taking after having done the written test.

I should clarify. This is the road test she's taking after having done the written test. Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
To get your M1, you write a test. Then you're good for the road, with restrictions, sunrise to sunset, no highways, no passengers, no alcohol. It lasts 90 days.
To get your M2, you ride in a parking lot. See the above test from FLSTC, he went to the page after my quote, where it was all laid out. Restrictions except for alcohol are lifted. It lasts 5 years.
To get your M, you do a road test. It lasts until you do something stupid.

FWIW, unless my friend had riding experience already (e.g. dirt biking) I'd strongly push them to taking a course instead of just doing the road test at the MTO.

Her M2 is scheduled for a few weeks from now. I think she will be okay.. she rides a nimble klx250s, and sees a lot of trail time, along with some road riding. Thanks again for the help. Just trying to get a feel for what she will encounter for her test.

x2 take the course. The MTO road test is laughable and indicates nothing other than a basic ability to ride. The courses teach real road skills that can very well save your life someday.

I've done both, the test at the course and test at the MTO, (received M2 the first time via the course, but let my license expire between off time from riding); the MTO test is definitely harder depending on your bike.

Those little 125/250's they give you at the schools zip through the cones like nothing, it's more a slalom course than a tight weave.

The MTO test is as follows, I'll provide more info just in case others are wondering (as of a couple months back):

Done in a group of riders, there were 7 guys including myself in our group.

PART 1 - IN THE PARKING LOT

1) Bike check, does your horn, all lights and brakes work? They quickly go over the controls "show me the clutch", "is there a fuel shutoff"

2) Push your bike in a figure 8 (shows manual control over the bike)

3) Weave through the cones as shown in the handbook, if you don't have excellent slow speed control of the bike, get yourself a set of cones at walmart for $15 and practice for a few hours. Slow speed riding on the street doesn't really train your brain for the cone test IMO.

4) Ride straight through the cones away from the instructor, turn at the end, accelerate QUICKLY, and emergency brake stopping on a line. The first emergency stop I did, the instructor said I didn't get up fast enough and had me loop around again. Can't say how fast I was even going, maybe 50-60kph.

From this section, I believe 2 guys failed, not sure the reason as new ministry standards dictate that you have to have a "private session", so we were all stationed around a corner doing this phase. All I know is they did not move onto Part 2. Instructor took off a mark for the cones I went wide at the end, but said it wasn't a big deal because I clearly demonstrated I had good clutch, brake, and balance at slow speeds.

PART 2 - ON THE STREET

This was much shorter than I thought, we were in a Wal-mart parking lot, the instructor stands at the corner of the intersection and has you make a turn, go 100-200m up the street, turn into a business and come back. All the while he is marking for the following:

-Head/Shoulder/Mirror checks. I actually taped a big painters tape X on the back of my helmet to hopefully be better seen by the instructor when I was moving. It gets to the point you are just like a bobble head, many of the motions unnecessary but you want to be seen as "doing your checks"
-Shoulder check when turning right, they will NAIL you for not checking for cyclists riding in the right shoulder or cyclists riding across the sidewalk that may pop out.
-Lane position
-Signals (turning them off quickly is just as important as using them)
-Braking distance (leave space in front of you)
-Turning - Be sure to maintain your 'lane blocking' through the turn, this was more scrutinized than I thought
-Intersections - Be mindful of reds and preparing for a go/no-go situation depending on where you get stuck.

If you're an intelligent street rider, and always look ahead, and are mindful of the above, you really shouldn't have a problem.

The ministry in my city is located right around a ton of turning lanes so lane blocking REALLY screwed many of the riders up.

Overall I think 1 rider failed this section, passing only 4 / 7 that started.

Plan for approximately 2-3 hours. My appointment was at 1030am and was not complete until 1pm. I booked 1030 rather than 830 thinking I would avoid rush our traffic however I just ended up getting stuck in the 12pm lunch time rush lol.

Why did I do the MTO test the 2nd time around: Having already done the course, I wasn't up for dropping another $500 and giving up an entire weekend. When I did the training course the first time I had already been riding on the street for maybe 2 months and felt that 70% (rough guess) of it was stuff that you can figure out for yourself if you read and watch some proper riding videos. The course unfortunately assumes you've never ridden a motorcycle so the more advanced (as far as new rider anyways) stuff only comes on the 2nd day. The first day you'll be pushing the bike around and turning it off and on, circles, etc.

That being said: If you haven't done the course as a new rider, DO IT. Having the instructors there is great for questions and humbling experience. Most insurance companies rates with just your M1 will be significantly higher (2x), or they won't even offer insurance without it.

I know someone that said he failed the MTO M1 exit for not knowing "where is the choke" on his FI bike....
...kind of a stupid reason to flunk you, there could be more to the story, but case in point know your bike.

+1 for taking the course. The bike is supplied. The course progressively builds up over the two days and you are practicing the skills you will need to successfully pass the test.
Plus the instructors are demonstrating each section so you clearly know what is expected which gives you greater confidence.
I can still picture the instructor exaggerating head movements/shoulder checks at the start AND finish of every segment.

They won't give much, if any, advice at the MTO.

I suggest you/your GF go to Humber or Sheridan...or the nearest "non-MTO" course site on a Sunday and sit under some nearby trees and watch the testing portion for some insight.

Take the course. Dirt riding is not like riding on the road I found this out in 1976 when I got my license the hard way. Also the instructors are fun and give you pointers on staying alive not just to pass the test..

Sent from my LG-H812 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom