Sombra/Algonac Ferry crossing to MI | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sombra/Algonac Ferry crossing to MI

slowbird

Planning a trip to the states and Google maps sends me through a Ferry Crossing into Michigan I had no idea exsisted.

There's a Sombra Ferry and an Algonac - Walpole Island ferry.

I have read everything I could find online. Has anyone actually used one of these ferries? Apparently they're a great alternative to the Bridges.

News to me but with Nexus I don't wait at the bridge but might be fun tho usually I'm in a hurry on the slab crossing in that area.

https://goo.gl/search/Palms+Krystal...ugh+1535+Pine+Grove+Ave,+Port+Huron,+MI+48060
? Palms Krystal Bar & Grill/chicken in the rough
1535 Pine Grove Ave, Port Huron, MI 48060
(810) 985-9838
https://goo.gl/search/Palms+Krystal...ugh+1535+Pine+Grove+Ave,+Port+Huron,+MI+48060
(810) 985-9838
(810) 985-9838

Sent from my LG-H812 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I've never been routed that way but it would depend on your destination and preferences such as shortest route.

I got the impression the ferries were often used for hazardous goods that they didn't want on the bridges or tunnel. Lots of nasty chemistry down that way.

Somewhere I read that ferries, because they could be commandeered like an aircraft, had tighter controls plus in this case, customs.

I got the impression the ferries were often used for hazardous goods that they didn't want on the bridges or tunnel. Lots of nasty chemistry down that way.
Dangerous chemicals floating on top of my drinking water doesn't sound like the better choice.

News to me but with Nexus I don't wait at the bridge but might be fun tho usually I'm in a hurry on the slab crossing in that area.

Yeah I've been meaning to get Nexus.

I've never been routed that way but it would depend on your destination and preferences such as shortest route.

It only shows when I select (Avoid Tolls). Odd though it's like $4-$6 fee for Motorcycles.

Uhhh...not these ferries. Take a Google at them. It's just a small ferry with a tiny border check in on either side.

I have used both, grew up around an hour away. Both are super small locations. I have only taken a vehicle over, may have to hold onto your motorcycle on these ferries they are open deck and not a super smooth ride. Walpole can be a little sketchy after dark so I'd avoid that location if that's the case. Might be good alternatives depending on your plans.

Yeah I've been meaning to get Nexus.

It only shows when I select (Avoid Tolls). Odd though it's like $4-$6 fee for Motorcycles.

On my first tour to the USA (Ohio) I chose no tolls and all was good until I was coming back and the GPS wanted me to cross over at Ivy Lea instead of the Peace Bridge because it saw the bridge toll. A lot of the crossings only charge one way, splitting the loot, so the routing could be different depending on direction.

I was avoiding tolls on the NY Thruway because I was thinking 407 rates. When I realized how cheap the NY roads were the restriction came off. What would have been a $20 trip here was about $2.50 there. And they have decent rest stops.

We took the ferry last year on our bikes at Algona/Walpole and it was fine. You pay the 5 bucks or whatever, park the bike and sit or stand by it. The water wasn't that choppy but I remember holding on to the front brakes just in case. The Canadian side that hugs the St Clair river to Windsor is a nice ride comparing the alternatives.

I haven't used those specific ones but I have used the one from Kinsgton to the states and they are a great alternative to using the bridge. Bring Cash in most cases those smaller ferry companies don't take debit/credit.

It made my trip even better using a ferry and not a bridge

Planning a trip to the states and Google maps sends me through a Ferry Crossing into Michigan I had no idea exsisted.

There's a Sombra Ferry and an Algonac - Walpole Island ferry.

I have read everything I could find online. Has anyone actually used one of these ferries? Apparently they're a great alternative to the Bridges.

Somewhere I read that ferries, because they could be commandeered like an aircraft, had tighter controls plus in this case, customs.
The custom entrance on the Ferry I went from Kingston to the US was a small shack with one guy that hardly looked at my passport.... way more relaxed than a bridge crossing.

I forgot to update this thread.

I did end up taking the Ferry From Walpole Ontario to Algonac Michigan. Cost $5 and was very quick and easy. No problems at all.

Would do again.

Just heard that that the Sombra ferry is out of service for some time - possibly permanently. Their ferry dock was taken out by ice from a Coast guard ship or something.

The Walpole island ferry is great, inexpensive and a quick ride across. You do have to sit on your motorcycle while going across, just because the ferry is small and any kind of chop does sway the boat itself, aside from that you have no worries, the ferry runs until 10pm. As for the sombra ferry, the whole entire operation is shut down. Due to heavy and large ice flow from the thaw, it damage the entire pier it operated from. Hope this helps and enjoy,

Back
Top Bottom