The Riders Who Won't Wave Back... | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Riders Who Won't Wave Back...

I was out with a bunch of friends this eve, 6 bikes total - we passed a guy on a Vespa in downtown Bowmanville and we all waved. He waved back.

Ride on.

Was out this past Saturday, amazing weather. Pasted a few riders. Most waved. Couple of nodes, I gave out some waves and nodes as well first. Connecting with other riders this way is pretty cool. You do get a sense of community.

Is there something about the wave? A couple of guys did a low hand wave, hand out but down to the side, with 2 fingers.

Was out this past Saturday, amazing weather. Pasted a few riders. Most waved. Couple of nodes, I gave out some waves and nodes as well first. Connecting with other riders this way is pretty cool. You do get a sense of community.

Is there something about the wave? A couple of guys did a low hand wave, hand out but down to the side, with 2 fingers.

that's the secret wave, practiced by riders that have an........alternate sort of lifestyle
not that there's anything wrong with that

Speaking of dropping deuces....brb.?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Guess it's a seasonal thing? When riding this past weekend, didn't matter the bike. Folks were waving to all to all. Maybe there was some hard core pirates that wouldn't wave to anything but Harley but fortunately for me, I was on a HD. So I got the grimace and low peace sign from the outlaws.

Then met up at Gretzky's New winery and distillery. Lol.

Also saw some touring and adventure machines that were together. Crossing styles in the same pack. Omg!

It this was July, most would just ride with the occasional wave.

September? Seemed to have everyone waving.

The Rukas rider didn't get a wave. Sort fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mix my waves up recently. High peace sign, low 2 fingers, salutes, queen waves, even a shocker or two for the ladies. Depends on my mood really.

First weekend on a bike ever, rode for about 600kms between Friday to Sunday and waved at everyone lol. Most people waved back or nodded, some groups and a couple older people didn't wave back though... I frowned and teared up, but thanks to the mirror visor, no one saw.

During the winter and early spring, hell yeah, everyone waves.

I find towards the end of the riding season, people are less inclined to wave. I can dig it, and to be honest, I'm tired of waving back after my 100,000th wave of the year too. Generally, I'm the first person to wave, placing an obligation on the oncoming rider. :)

In Europe, I had varying results with people responding to a wave. Closer to big cities, noone waves probably because if they did, they'd be waving non-stop. Out in the twisties, yeah, waves are more common and in fact, they're the first to wave to me. A little unsettling in their eagerness.

In England, since the hand closest to the opposing direction of traffic is your throttle hand, instead everyone tilts or twists their heads. I've been getting in the habit of doing that too regardless of country, especially when my hand is busy with the clutch.

When I wave, I usually don't bother checking to see if the person waves back unless I'm looking for statistics. It really isn't a big deal if they don't.

Do you get waves and nods from people on the street who are just walking? I have gotten a few of those a well.

Last edited:
People are strange...

'Never understood how so many think they have some sort of connection to or are somehow kindred to others who happen to ride a bike...
Then again... I don't get the urge some have for group rides... Is it that they they're afraid of being/doing anything alone?

'Should change my user name yo "grumpyoldman"

I ride a Harley and wave at pretty much everyone else on a motorcycle. Sometimes even at scooters. Never Can Am Spyders.

I ran into an older gentleman on a Cam Am on my trip out west, (Was BC IIRC) he used to ride motorcycles but couldn't due to his arthritis/old age.

He was telling us how he loved riding, leaning, being on 2 wheels and if he could he would be. I used to not way at Can Am's but i now do

I ran into an older gentleman on a Cam Am on my trip out west, (Was BC IIRC) he used to ride motorcycles but couldn't due to his arthritis/old age.

He was telling us how he loved riding, leaning, being on 2 wheels and if he could he would be. I used to not way at Can Am's but i now do
This is common...I have a good friend been riding with for years....rides a GSA...was dignosed with MS a few years ago and is starting to show symptoms, figures he has maybe 2 more seasons on 2 wheels...I think there are many trike riders that would love to be back on bikes, but can't do it any longer

i've been nodding a lot more. too many people not waving back to look like a tool that waves but doesnt get it back.

People are strange...

'Never understood how so many think they have some sort of connection to or are somehow kindred to others who happen to ride a bike...
Then again... I don't get the urge some have for group rides... Is it that they they're afraid of being/doing anything alone?

To the vast majority of people who ride, its a hobby. It's typical for people who share a similar hobby to acknowledge it. As humans we're always looking for ways to connect to others, whether it be by hobby, employment, aesthetics, tastes in food/alcohol, etc. It gives a sense of belonging which, to most people, is an important factor in life. Very few people are truly able to live alone with complete isolation and still be happy.

People are strange...

Subaru drivers (at least modded ones) do it
Trekking and Hardcore TJ/Wranglers do it
Motorcyclists do it

I can see motorcyclists being like "KUDOS ON SURVIVING THE CRAZY CAGERS OUT HERE"

Back
Top Bottom