The Riders Who Won't Wave Back... | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Riders Who Won't Wave Back...

Genesis

0078f34ee2a11c64f6d83ebe66cf1892.jpg

I know there is no obligation to wave or signal back, but do we not all acknowledge that we are brothers and sisters who share and risk the same fate on the road? Do we not lend a helping hand faster than any cager?

As a new rider, tell me.
Is it because the novelty has worn off? Does the flame burn out?
Is it just simply a personality type?
Should I just not give a damn?

Northern Lights

the latter....the fraternity/sorority of riding is dead

not sure why, but seems to me the pirate crowd ended it

you never get a wave in Australia....always a sort of twisting head nod. Safer too. I'll often lift a couple of fingers...don't really care one or t'other

South of the border they way, the culture is alive and strong in the US. Canada, most wave from my experience, still a small percentage that do not.

I've stopped waving at giant cruisers and harleys, they are the ones who (usually) don't wave back. Too old to see the wave maybe? Afraid of a death wobble while thundering along at 5kph below the speed limit? Just don't care? Perhaps we will never know. I always return a wave if I can, or a head nod if my hands are busy, regardless of the bike or rider. Just respect in my opinion.

Preparing for angry old Harley rider internet-warrior backlash now.

If you're riding, please ride. Same with driving or walking. Save the camaraderie for the cafes and parking lots. Then you can actually *talk* about bikes. At this point, I nod. Plausible deniability in the surveillance state is an important necessity.

Harley riders can't take any hand off their bars or they get a tank slapper.

Last edited:
the latter....the fraternity/sorority of riding is dead

not sure why, but seems to me the pirate crowd ended it

Just got back from a ~4700KM trip over 5 days. Most everyone we saw waved but I observed that those who didn't crossed ALL types of riders - some were sportbike guys, some were Timmies Angels on big Harleys, some were adventure bike guys, etc.

I don't think it's anything to do with one group or the other, but personally when I wave (and I ALWAYS do, I don't care if you're on a 250!) and I don't get a wave back I chock it up to 2 things in my head - stuck up (IE the Harley guys who refuse to wave to anything other than other Harleys), or "Must be a newbie".

I don't sweat it though - I also recognize that sometimes the acknowledgement might arrive via a subtle head knod (that one might not see) if their hand is predisposed with the clutch or controls, so in the end...ride on.

I ride a Harley and wave at pretty much everyone else on a motorcycle. Sometimes even at scooters. Never Can Am Spyders.

a certain segment of harley dudes classify themselves as separate from other riders
simply for having purchased that brand of bike, not talking bout the 1% ers,
they do have an entirely different thing going, the elitest harley guys can be spotted
online easy too, when discussing anything they substitute the word bike with harley

in my time of riding - since the mid 80's, it wasn't always this way....harley dudes
just had a bit more money and other than the 1% ers were the same

I think the division came when the boomers became old, didn't like it one bit
they all bought harleys and started to be weekend bikers and act all angry because
the had ED and were fat

another thing, if you're turning right, the other guy can't wave, he's counter steering

Last edited:
I waved at an ebike and felt dirty.

I've waved at motorised mobility scooters too but that was all in good fun.

Maybe they recognize you? I don't wave when I'm busy protecting my own life, too bad if people get butt hurt over it.

lol wave thread is a bit late this year, not gonna lie was a little worried

I just started riding again this year after a 5 year break. I noticed way more bikers waving now than before. Even the Harley guys. On more of a sport tourer now, so maybe that makes a difference. If someone doesn't wave back, Oh well. No reason to stop waving. They could be busy. Sometimes I nod if I need the clutch and front brake at the same time. Then I drive my wife's jeep and completely miss the wave as I just don't see them.

Back
Top Bottom