HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17 | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17

People can do track days whatever the hell day they choose, and I don't think anyone said "it was ethereal's fault" in my case I am saying as a lesson learned for the future (since he seems susceptible to getting mad about that kid of aggressive move) it would be recommended he picked a different track day.

I don't know the guy on the 300, there is no "racer clan" there are as many ******* racers as there are track day and street rider ********.

The pass was wrong, **** happens but my point is that it will happen more often during a track day on race week then any other regular day

If the lesson he learned was to go out of his way to do aggressive stuff to other riders in his next track day then that's too bad. It is a formula for a lot wrong to happen specially at his skill level.

I like to focus on other things when I ride, like lines, brake markers and not on "today my attitude is to dive bomb people" it may happen but I don't leave my house planning for it :)

Now where is that dead horse?

His response is natural in the face of a bunch of replies defending the indefensible.

I'm really disappointed in a lot of people here I expect should know better, and it's not about the pass. Everybody, except one or two, agrees it was a tight move that the racer should have avoided. And those one or two people are simply wrong, fine, people are allowed to be wrong. But then all the racers here rally around the guy who passed because he's a member of the racing 'clan', by trying to deflect responsibility onto Ethereal, who did nothing wrong and shouldn't modify anything about his approach to track days.

Look, the guy who made a pass may be an awesome friend, first guy to lend a hand, always has a good word to say about others, and always picks up the beer tab or whatever. That's not being disputed. But he made a mistake and there's no reason not to be honest about that, we all make mistakes. Stop pointing the finger at Ethereal. There's no lesson here for him "don't do track days before a race" because those who should already know that lesson allowed him and other rookies to lap with racers. If that's a hard a fast rule, then why did RC allow him to run?

That's the missing resolution here. I find it interesting that Pro 6 ran Mon-Wed events but RC took over for Thursday. In my experience Pro 6 set very high standards for themselves and they always reach those standards. RC serves the community well but they're known to cut corners sometimes to make a buck. Perhaps the only safe approach is to not run an open track day the day before a race weekend? And why would anyone let rookies run in the same session with racers other than to make a buck? Why would anyone let rookies 'learn a lesson' about the danger of sharing the track with racers by letting them share the track with racers!?!

If someone ever gets injured or killed because of this, which is likely, RC better be ready to lawyer up.

What should my take away be? That I was polite and drove a climbing pace waiting to safely pass and respect the rules? Then get rammed about how much faster the other rider was so his pass was okish/I need to be less "Butt hurt" about it. Had I done the same thing he was doing I would not have been stuck in the 1:50s for lap times. I like to do 2 laps before I start picking up my pace and the new tires felt a lot different then then my last ones. I do not have the trust yet you all have in your tires. Seems your judging based on my skill level seen here in the limited laps shown and even suggested selling my bike. I will always give my fellow riders a safe space and make every effort to go home with myself and bike intact. The other rider passed me after the strait when we got a flagged and I slowed, he kept going. Sure all this sounds like excuses to most here but these are all things I am learning and what I take away from it.

I never suggested selling your bike. I also never passed any judgement on your riding ability. I also don't see many people in this discussion saying that the pass was okish. Just about everyone has agreed that the pass was tight and not really cool for green group. No one here is really disagreeing with you.

I think your perception of what's being written and what's actually being written are not the same.

What's your end game here? What do you hope to accomplish through this discussion?

In no way was I saying id "Do more aggressive stuff" I just will not be so passive and will hold a line if safe to do so. There is nothing to be accomplished here. For sure I need to develop feel for have riders close to me and that will come with time. Been there in other sports and can hold my own. This dog is dead let stop beating it already.

In no way was I saying id "Do more aggressive stuff" I just will not be so passive and will hold a line if safe to do so. There is nothing to be accomplished here. For sure I need to develop feel for have riders close to me and that will come with time. Been there in other sports and can hold my own. This dog is dead let stop beating it already.

That sounds more reasonable, wise and level.

PS. Video overlay was really cool.

Its Race Chrono. Saw Member here use it on a Video I watch to learn lines at Shannonville before going my first time. Was not really into lap times but loved the speedo. Amazing what these bikes can do!

Ethereal...don't answer this question but ask yourself:

Are you affected by the fact that you got passed by a 300 or was it only because you got passed?

Ego makes people do stupid things.

Bike had nothing to do with it. I had traffic in front and was not able to make a safe pass. Then I was passed like that. He made it. But only just... then all this unfolded here. I know the kid is good I was following him a session before and he pulled away in the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Who said you disagreed? LOL

You quoted me and replied in a way that seemed like you were debating what I said. No biggie.

Seems your judging based on my skill level seen here in the limited laps shown and even suggested selling my bike.

My suggestion to sell your bike and get a small one - that was in jest - had nothing to do with skill. It was because you suggested you're stuck with what you have and said
"Sure I would love to go back 15-20 years and take out a smaller bike. But that did not happen. I got a bike and learned fast that the track was where I needed to take it so I could learn better technics and how much my tires can really hold."
You can learn more quicker on small bikes.

Bike had nothing to do with it. I had traffic in front and was not able to make a safe pass. Then I was passed like that. He made it. But only just... then all this unfolded here. I know the kid is good I was following him a session before and he pulled away in the corners.

Well, I've had two yellow group riders, who moved to red later, pass me on both outside and inside at RDT during one of Fawaz's trackdays. They weren't supposed to pass unless the bike is completely upright in yellow (which on RDT, almost doesn't exist except on the front straight and "back straight" which has a kink in it). Both passes, happening one after another, were clean and didn't stuff me but were uncomfortably close.

The track day went on, I tailed them to the best of my ability for a lap or two before I noticed they were beyond what I was currently capable of. Rules or not, I learned stuff from them, nobody crashed, and the day went on.

My suggestion to you is if someone passes you, whether it is legal or not, chase them for a bit and learn. You will learn far more from "losing" than winning. Then go on with your day. Now if the passer crashes into you...go rape their mother ;)

I totally agree. Did that later on until the page got to high for me. Was for the guy I was following as he lowsided. But there is a lot for me to learn and I am completely open to it. Or why else would I even visit a forum of local talent?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I'm not sure cause this thread is almost 10 pages but has anyone thought about three new groups...No green ever.

"Yellow" where you can pass everywhere but is for new riders and street Rossi types

"Dark yellow" where you can pass everywhere for people who should be in Red but was since red is usually sold out - they are demoted...

"Red" where you can pass everywhere and its like a "trackday" race filled with spills and chills and the champagne of victory...

I'm not sure cause this thread is almost 10 pages but has anyone thought about three new groups...No green ever.

"Yellow" where you can pass everywhere but is for new riders and street Rossi types

"Dark yellow" where you can pass everywhere for people who should be in Red but was since red is usually sold out - they are demoted...

"Red" where you can pass everywhere and its like a "trackday" race filled with spills and chills and the champagne of victory...

Were you on drugs when you typed this? I'm seriously asking lol

Back
Top Bottom