HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17

Absolutely. I could not have said it better. John clearly stated that there is no passing on the corners only on the straights. Like you said, the Marshalls failed to obey this which caused a lot of riders to be nervous because of this.

I pointed out a girl on a 250 i think. The Marshall says "oh she is one of the more experienced riders, that is why she did that".

I don't care how experienced you are, ride in the appropriate group. We all want to be safe out there.

Well karma put that smart ass on his ass and in the grass. To prove what? He passed a green track day rider that knew better to slow down in the rain lol

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

May I ask, when you looked over your shoulder to see other riders, what was the plan? what were you going to do? get out of the way? move to the side? what if the rider was planning to go wide to pass you and you decided to move over to his/her line? there is nothing to be gained by looking back.

There is no reason to look back on any group at a track day.

Not trying to be rude, just providing some food for thought.

I think marshals turn the blind eye in order to allow for the day to flow (for the most part)

They turned a blind eye and green riders were dropping like flies. They were getting cut off. He was looking as I saw him wait to pass on the big left then have 3 riders cut and almost take all out. After that is was pass as you can, going buy the rules got you bottle necked and someone would pass like an ass and crash out or take another with them.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You are gonna have to learn how to pass and get passed sooner or later, Mosport is good for that as there is so much room and many lines you can take thru a turn.

Livewire
just to trying to answer your first question as to why the crash happened - it appears you found the limit of grip at the rear tire for sure. The cause of that would be guesses but it appears to me to be a few things.
First the lean angle was too much for the amount of throttle. That's not very clever a statement but it's what happened. Now I'll add it wasn't such a crazy amount of lean angle that you should have crashed so I'll have to say that your tires gave up before you expected them to.

Cause of that? Maybe that wet spot on the track? Don't know. Possible.
S21 tires not up to the task? Pressures hot were too high? Old tires? How many street km on them?

just for an aside I was suppose to track my R1 so I put new tires on for the trackday. I missed the track day and then rode 1000km of street riding on them. Went to the track and the tires definitely lost some grip even though the sides were new. Between the 6 months and the 1000km it is easy to see that the rubber is harder. I have a new set for the next trackday waiting to go on and can tell the difference with the time honoured method of the fingernail in the tread :)

food for thought.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I could not have said it better. John clearly stated that there is no passing on the corners only on the straights. Like you said, the Marshalls failed to obey this which caused a lot of riders to be nervous because of this.

I pointed out a girl on a 250 i think. The Marshall says "oh she is one of the more experienced riders, that is why she did that".

I don't care how experienced you are, ride in the appropriate group. We all want to be safe out there.

Put yourself into their boots for a second.250/300cc riders can't pass a 600 or a 1000cc bike on the straights, so where else are they going to pass you? Obviously the girl has a lot more speed and experience if she is overtaking you at mosport. Tough for the little bikes to get into the right groups at a TD. Carrying so much more speed in the corners but being out motored on the straights. Think of it as learning experience, you need to get familiar with being overtaken as you move up the ladder.

Livewire
just to trying to answer your first question as to why the crash happened - it appears you found the limit of grip at the rear tire for sure. The cause of that would be guesses but it appears to me to be a few things.
First the lean angle was too much for the amount of throttle. That's not very clever a statement but it's what happened. Now I'll add it wasn't such a crazy amount of lean angle that you should have crashed so I'll have to say that your tires gave up before you expected them to.

Cause of that? Maybe that wet spot on the track? Don't know. Possible.
S21 tires not up to the task? Pressures hot were too high? Old tires? How many street km on them?

just for an aside I was suppose to track my R1 so I put new tires on for the trackday. I missed the track day and then rode 1000km of street riding on them. Went to the track and the tires definitely lost some grip even though the sides were new. Between the 6 months and the 1000km it is easy to see that the rubber is harder. I have a new set for the next trackday waiting to go on and can tell the difference with the time honoured method of the fingernail in the tread :)

food for thought.

Appreciate the feedback. Thank You.

My knee did not touch the ground so i honestly don't feel i was leaned over too much.
But yes, i do feel that the tire did not grip as expected.

Tire pressures were checked before and was 28 rear and 33 front. One thing for sure, it was definitely cooler after lunch.

The tires are new as of April 2017. I have put a couple thousand kms on them on the street prior to the trackday so they were definitely scrubbed in. The tires were also soft if you poked them.

What street tires do you use?

Put yourself into their boots for a second.250/300cc riders can't pass a 600 or a 1000cc bike on the straights, so where else are they going to pass you? Obviously the girl has a lot more speed and experience if she is overtaking you at mosport. Tough for the little bikes to get into the right groups at a TD. Carrying so much more speed in the corners but being out motored on the straights. Think of it as learning experience, you need to get familiar with being overtaken as you move up the ladder.

Good point. But we were informed during the meeting not to overtake on corners. So that is what we expected.

But yeah i understand what you saying.

I am fine with passing. But the rules "no passing" was confirmed when we asked. Once I have my video up you will see that some should have been flagged and put others at risk. Even in Red group these passes were to risky. So because I respected the rules and I waited to pass on a straight it ok for someone to put me at risk? I just ended up passing them all in straight and they gained nothing.

I am fine with passing. But the rules "no passing" was confirmed when we asked. Once I have my video up you will see that some should have been flagged and put others at risk. Even in Red group these passes were to risky. So because I respected the rules and I waited to pass on a straight it ok for someone to put me at risk? I just ended up passing them all in straight and they gained nothing.

Absolutely!!!

I keep hearing about this video - lol. Upload it bro :)

I am fine with passing. But the rules "no passing" was confirmed when we asked. Once I have my video up you will see that some should have been flagged and put others at risk. Even in Red group these passes were to risky.

How would you know the passes were too risky for a red group, have you ever ridden in a red group before?

So because I respected the rules and I waited to pass on a straight it ok for someone to put me at risk? I just ended up passing them all in straight and they gained nothing.

Imagine those little bikes working very hard to pass you and then all of a sudden you blow by them on the straights and then park it in the corners. No-one loves a straight line warrior, if you are holding them up let them go. By doing what you are saying you are doing, you are actually making it more risky. It's not your track day, it's everybody's.

9d519917567ceb1de9d52c448dd595fb.png
964ef5d711d8d8ec453e7b1005c5ea0a.png
c13c199fcf7e05ffd574084be69776de.png

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Can't upload yet. But here he passed me on the dirt in front of the corner flagman

I assume passing on the dirt is risky in any group. I have a racing background and this would never play out during a "race practice" let alone a "track day"

So because I respected the rules and I waited to pass on a straight it ok for someone to put me at risk? I just ended up passing them all in straight and they gained nothing.

Haven't seen the passes so cant comment on how much risk you were in, but here is some food for thought
......if they were able to catch up to you and pass you in a turn they are obviously faster than you so maybe dont blow by them in the straight but instead follow them for a lap and maybe learn something.
I was on a 1000 and got passed by some of the AM 600 guys in turns, sure I could blow by them on the straight, but whats the point??

Pic should be up. I was able to pass in the corners but listen to what I was told to all of us regarding corner passing. I agree these kids worked hard but they also rode and passed like it was their goal to be able to say they passed a .... with their 300. We are not racers and choose the green group so we could learn safely. Not have kids stuff us in the corners and pass us on the dirt.

Pic should be up. I was able to pass in the corners but listen to what I was told to all of us regarding corner passing. I agree these kids worked hard but they also rode and passed like it was their goal to be able to say they passed a .... with their 300. We are not racers and choose the green group so we could learn safely. Not have kids stuff us in the corners and pass us on the dirt.

You say you have a racing background, i don't what type of racing, could be pigeons for all i know.

I'm just telling you from my perspective and knowledge the reason why you are being passed in corners by little bikes. The marshalls as you said saw what happened and choose not to take any further action.

It's the National week, some of these bikes are being ridden by the upcoming youngsters of Canadian racing, and some of them are PRO riders, maybe if you go today or tomorrow you might see one of the guys that stuffed you racing lol.

Back
Top Bottom