HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17

Glad to hear you're OK.
Here's what I think may have happened.
You weren't steady on the throttle - you can hear it wavering just a little a second or so before it lost traction. I'm thinking that if you would have kept steady throttle you may have survived without crashing. May have rolled off throttle, and the rear hooked up again sending you flying.
Agreed with what ZX600 had to say about body position. You're crossed up a bit - your butt is moving farther than your shoulders. I'm also wondering about your arms - they appear to be very straight most of the time. It becomes very apparent on the back straight at 6:07+. Your head height hardly changes at all from the straight into the turn at the end.
So, with better body position and throttle control, you would have been OK.

Watched it again, and yes, slightly crossed up. Agreed on the head position. I need to work on the left side. I feel much more comfortable on the right.

I think the FAST course 1 & 2 is on the calendar for next year for better body positioning.

There's a seam there that holds water. It seeps out and takes a long time to fully dry. I almost went down there before, Trombino went down there, Hornblower went down there, the two riders today went down there, all because of the water in the seam.

Monday and Tuesday, the lead Marshall's warned everybody of the slight water seepage on that seam at the rider's meeting. Good odds that was a contributing factor.

Remember a session before that saying I change from the Bridgestone Battlax 21s to the Dunlop Q3plus because I found if leaned to far you lose the edge fast. Used up 100% of my tire edge on the 21s just on the street alone. At Mosport yesterday I still have little strips not used on the Q3+. I think you found the limit of the tire edge.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

It's unfortunate, but these things happen. Thought i'd share the video to hear some thoughts and learn from my mistake. This took place after lunch - Novice group.

Thank GOD I walked away scratch free and only with a sprained ankle.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ebp56xMVs

Glad to see the crash not hurting you bad. I've been to the track for few years, and there are always some mysterious corner spots here or there causing more crashes than the others (some ppm said that might caused by some supercars when they tearing out the asphalt accelerating out of corner). I felt nervous sometimes passing seams when they are wet. So I would listen to Marsh's and ppl been there the previous day where the crash were, and tried to slow down a bit there and might steer a bit off the seam wheres wet.

Sorry, can't see any obvious problem that caused the slide, but the high side was definitely a chopped throttle. Either way, you were going down IMO.

The thing that needs repeating is stop looking behind you! Regardless if people are passing in the corners or not, your only focus should be ahead. Stay on the line at a predictable speed and ignore people behind you. You can trust that they don't want to hit you any more than you want to be hit.

The way I think about is to imagine someone is always on my tail about to go around me. If I go off line or slow down suddenly they're going to be tempted to go around me the wrong way.

Here's a comparison of the right way and the wrong way to share the track. I was stuck behind the first guy for two laps and almost crashed out trying to pass, but he did everything perfectly, it was 100% my fault if I had crashed. The second guy (5 minute mark) was easy to pass but he was all over the track, looking over his shoulder, changing speeds, and everything that leads to nasty track day crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0uo_tgBlM

good to hear you are, for the most part, ok.
hows the bike?
goin to rant on you hear a bit - your cam position sucks, mount it on the front facing forward for a better view lol imo....

What tire pressure were you running?

None of your riding inputs seemed unreasonable to me. I would wager more on incorrect tire pressure, suspension setup, and hitting the seam in the track.

Tire pressures suggested to me by more senior riders were 33 front 28 rear.

Is that okay?

I had the suspension setup for my weight. Is there someone that you recommend that does a top notch job?

Sorry, can't see any obvious problem that caused the slide, but the high side was definitely a chopped throttle. Either way, you were going down IMO.

The thing that needs repeating is stop looking behind you! Regardless if people are passing in the corners or not, your only focus should be ahead. Stay on the line at a predictable speed and ignore people behind you. You can trust that they don't want to hit you any more than you want to be hit.

The way I think about is to imagine someone is always on my tail about to go around me. If I go off line or slow down suddenly they're going to be tempted to go around me the wrong way.

Here's a comparison of the right way and the wrong way to share the track. I was stuck behind the first guy for two laps and almost crashed out trying to pass, but he did everything perfectly, it was 100% my fault if I had crashed. The second guy (5 minute mark) was easy to pass but he was all over the track, looking over his shoulder, changing speeds, and everything that leads to nasty track day crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0uo_tgBlM

Agreed on the looking behind you part. With practice i will get this out of my system.
Trusting other riders is what i need to get used to.

Thanks for sharing the vid. Makes complete sense.

good to hear you are, for the most part, ok.
hows the bike?
goin to rant on you hear a bit - your cam position sucks, mount it on the front facing forward for a better view lol imo....

If it was on the front then you wouldn't get to see the drama that unfolded...lol. That's me doing some acrobatics lol

There are so many go pro mounts on this bike its sad. Lol. Will try the front facing one next year.

Bike appears to be in okay shape. Left side fairing is scratched up, crank case has a hole. Oil dripping everywhere. And shifter is broken. Bar end on the clip on is gone.

Not bad eh?

I still do not have the bike with me. But that was what i saw while hopping around.

Last edited:

Is that okay?

I had the suspension setup for my weight. Is there someone that you recommend that does a top notch job?

try contacting the bridgestone rep for tire pressures. ripp racing on facebook?

Is that okay?

33 seems bit high, others can chime in, on cbr1000rr with Q3s, I use 28.5 at rear and 30.5 front and I liked it, in green group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was behind him on a few laps. I get the clean pass is a good pass thing. But for our group they said "no passing in the corners". Most of the passes were aggressive and stuffed guys into turns. I have video I will share once loaded of a kid almost going off the track to pass me right in front of the flag guy and nothing was done about it. The kids on the 300s there for the race told me after "**** that no passing, I will pass when I can pass". Kid on his green Kawi crashed out after passing me in the rain. Green group was not really a green group and we lost 3 in one session on the same lap. Stupidity left us sitting on the track every session and wasted our track time

Not livewir3, his crash was why we are there and not on the streets doing this stuff.

Omg. Took me a minute lol. Yeah. funny guy

I was behind him on a few laps. I get the clean pass is a good pass thing. But for our group they said "no passing in the corners". Most of the passes were aggressive and stuffed guys into turns. I have video I will share once loaded of a kid almost going off the track to pass me right in front of the flag guy and nothing was done about it. The kids on the 300s there for the race told me after "**** that no passing, I will pass when I can pass". Kid on his green Kawi crashed out after passing me in the rain. Green group was not really a green group and we lost 3 in one session on the same lap. Stupidity left us sitting on the track every session and wasted our track time

Absolutely. I could not have said it better. John clearly stated that there is no passing on the corners only on the straights. Like you said, the Marshalls failed to obey this which caused a lot of riders to be nervous because of this.

I pointed out a girl on a 250 i think. The Marshall says "oh she is one of the more experienced riders, that is why she did that".

I don't care how experienced you are, ride in the appropriate group. We all want to be safe out there.

Back
Top Bottom