HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17

Glad you are safe, what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike felt great. Tires were nice and sticky and then all of a sudden, the back end comes loose and off we go.

A friend just told me that for the practice session happening today at Mosport, two pro riders went down in the exact spot and they have no clue what happened.

I wasn't hard on the throttle either, so really not sure what caused it.

One thing for sure though, it was a lot cooler after lunch as there was rain expected. Maybe tire temperatures?

Glad you are safe, what happened?

Track guys will probably chime in with better info, but it sounds like he chopped the throttle after he lowsided (a very natural reaction) and the bike regained traction launching him. Theoretically, I think you are supposed to stay on the throttle and ride the slide out, but that's easier said than done.

Bike felt great. Tires were nice and sticky and then all of a sudden, the back end comes loose and off we go.

A friend just told me that for the practice session happening today at Mosport, two pro riders went down in the exact spot and they have no clue what happened.

I wasn't hard on the throttle either, so really not sure what caused it.

One thing for sure though, it was a lot cooler after lunch as there was rain expected. Maybe tire temperatures?

I am in green as well, and have noticed rear slide a during hard braking before corner or hard accelerating after apex but I just kept going. Did you hit the brake and/or cut the throttle? I have only been to calabogie

Track guys will probably chime in with better info, but it sounds like he chopped the throttle after he lowsided (a very natural reaction) and the bike regained traction launching him. Theoretically, I think you are supposed to stay on the throttle and ride the slide out, but that's easier said than done.

Makes sense but i honestly don't remember cutting the throttle. At that time, the bike was already sideways - LOL. Will have to watch the vid again

I am in green as well, and have noticed rear slide a during hard braking before corner or hard accelerating after apex but I just kept going. Did you hit the brake and/or cut the throttle? I have only been to calabogie

No brakes at all. I don't recall cutting the throttle either.

You put your knee down too hard and deweighted the rear wheel. You are probably on street tires and the pace was slow and it seemed overcasted so all those conditions together with the lean you had on that corner and putting your knee down make the rear light and lost the little traction it had and pow.

Next time try less lean angle by better body position - Your throttle was good and constant no issues there on that corner, didn't watch the entire video.

Edit: Just watched it again a few times. It is hard to say if you accelerated and lost rear or if the acceleration is cause by the lost of traction (chicken and the egg) I still think that it was my original statement.

It's unfortunate, but these things happen. Thought i'd share the video to hear some thoughts and learn from my mistake. This took place after lunch - Novice group.

Thank GOD I walked away scratch free and only with a sprained ankle.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ebp56xMVs

Last edited:
Throttle control. You're a novice on what looks like a litre bike. The rear end stepped out on your transition onto the gas in 10, you chopped it and it flipped you. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Work on smoothing out your inputs. I watched the whole video, it was pretty choppy despite the slower traffic. A faster rider passed you in 5 and you had an open run up the straight and went into 8-9-10 faster than you had in the rest of the vid. Then the crash. And stop shoulder checking - focus on what's in front of you and use your peripheral vision appropriately. Take consistent lines.

Edit: yes, zx could be right, if your knee touched down hard that could have contributed to losing the rear.

Last edited:
You put your knee down too hard and deweighted the rear wheel. You are probably on street tires and the pace was slow and it seemed overcasted so all those conditions together with the lean you had on that corner and putting your knee down make the rear light and lost the little traction it had and pow.

Next time try less lean angle by better body position - Your throttle was good and constant no issues there on that corner, didn't watch the entire video.

Edit: Just watched it again a few times. It is hard to say if you accelerated and lost rear or if the acceleration is cause by the lost of traction (chicken and the egg) I still think that it was my original statement.

Good pointers. Appreciate it. Knee did not touch down though.

Yes to street tires.

Last edited:
Throttle control. You're a novice on what looks like a litre bike. The rear end stepped out on your transition onto the gas in 10, you chopped it and it flipped you. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Work on smoothing out your inputs. I watched the whole video, it was pretty choppy despite the slower traffic. A faster rider passed you in 5 and you had an open run up the straight and went into 8-9-10 faster than you had in the rest of the vid. Then the crash. And stop shoulder checking - focus on what's in front of you and use your peripheral vision appropriately. Take consistent lines.

Edit: yes, zx could be right, if your knee touched down hard that could have contributed to losing the rear.

Knee did not touch down. The shoulder checks were because of other riders passing on corners. Riders meeting stated to pass on the straight.

I don't recall chopping the throttle. All i remember is the rear stepping out and then over i went.

There's a seam there that holds water. It seeps out and takes a long time to fully dry. I almost went down there before, Trombino went down there, Hornblower went down there, the two riders today went down there, all because of the water in the seam.

Last edited:
No need for shoulder checks when being passed. More experience will help you there, whether its a group appropriate pass or not.

Listen carefully to the video as the crash happens, the evidence is there for a cut throttle. It happens just before you get flipped. Again, more experience will serve you there - work on smoother inputs to the bike.

Edit: dricked could be right - forgot about the seam since I had no trouble with it... may have caused the rear to step out.

Last edited:
There's a seam there that holds water. It seeps out and takes a long time to fully dry. I almost went down there before, Trombino went down there, Hornblower went down there, the two riders today went down there, all because of the water in the seam.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks for the information.

Glad to hear you're OK.
Here's what I think may have happened.
You weren't steady on the throttle - you can hear it wavering just a little a second or so before it lost traction. I'm thinking that if you would have kept steady throttle you may have survived without crashing. May have rolled off throttle, and the rear hooked up again sending you flying.
Agreed with what ZX600 had to say about body position. You're crossed up a bit - your butt is moving farther than your shoulders. I'm also wondering about your arms - they appear to be very straight most of the time. It becomes very apparent on the back straight at 6:07+. Your head height hardly changes at all from the straight into the turn at the end.
So, with better body position and throttle control, you would have been OK.

Back
Top Bottom