Stolen plates...guy arrested :D | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stolen plates...guy arrested :D

desistylzz

So my plates were stolen (roughly a week before the mob thing happened on DVP). I reported it right away (thankfully).

I got a call from an officer last night telling me they caught the guy who was riding with my stolen plates on. Some driver reported reckless rider on hwy 10 yesterday and gave them my plate number. Obviously it showed up stolen when the cops ran it thru their system. They chased the rider down and caught him.

The only thing the officer told me was that it was a male rider, riding a bike that is very similar to mine, going to be charged with multiple things and likely won't be riding/driving for a long time. I wonder if stealing a plate is the same thing as stealing a bike, in terms of charges laid?

It feels like a little victory in some sense among all the reports of stolen bikes #justiceboner. Hopefully his "friends" will learn something too from this experience but I doubt it.

P.S. I'm willing to bet he was part of the group ride on DVP.

The only thing the officer told me was that it was a male rider, riding a bike that is very similar to mine, going to be charged with multiple things and likely won't be riding/driving for a long time. I wonder if stealing a plate is the same thing as stealing a bike, in terms of charges laid?

more than likely none of this will stop this guy , as he was breaking the law before he got caught, so any charges he might get will probably still not deter him from riding, he will get another stolen bike, stolen plates, and ride as if nothing happened

more than likely none of this will stop this guy , as he was breaking the law before he got caught, so any charges he might get will probably still not deter him from riding, he will get another stolen bike, stolen plates, and ride as if nothing happened

Was thinking the same thing.

Question: Are any of the crimes he committed treated as indictable (US equivalent to "felony") in Canada? Criminal code type stuff? If so, good. It may well be that he'll continue to flout the law now but there will come a time when he'll want to cross the border/travel, get a job, apply for a loan or even get legit insurance and he's going to find a criminal record not so easily dismissed then...

x2. Anyone already riding with stolen plates (and quite possibly no insurance etc) probably isn't going to be phased that much by being caught.

Only a month or three in a cell with Bubba as a bunkmate might change his ways, but some bleeding heart judge will give him a fine (which he probably just won't pay anyways), a slap on the wrist, and send him on his way. Heck, even drunk drivers are getting off easy nowadays, this guy is a small fish comparatively.

x2. Anyone already riding with stolen plates (and quite possibly no insurance etc) probably isn't going to be phased that much by being caught.

Only a month or three in a cell with Bubba as a bunkmate might change his ways, but some bleeding heart judge will give him a fine (which he probably just won't pay anyways), a slap on the wrist, and send him on his way. Heck, even drunk drivers are getting off easy nowadays, this guy is a small fish comparatively.

So there's no criminal charge for stealing plates?

There's got to be a couple. Theft under $5k or something. Riding with stolen plates....unless it's not his bike and he claims he borrowed it, but then would have to name who he borrowed from. Wouldn't be surprised if the bike was stolen too.

Theft under $5000...maybe? Or just a HTA charge for Improper Plates.

Theft under is likely firmly in the slap on the wrist category.

He will likely, unless they can prove he is the one who actually stole your plates, face the criminal charge of possession of stolen property, which he will tell the judge a "friend" of his lent him the plates to get his bike to a garage for a safety, so he could register and insure it..lol

He was also likely charged with no insurance, affix plate to vehicle, perhaps a few other minor charges, (ALL of those will be HTA offences). If he agrees to plead out on one or two the rest will be dismissed.

As for being deterred, if it was indeed his bike and not a stolen one, he likely already has new plates and is riding today. Generally, it takes a LOT more than a hiccup like this to deter them.

Might not have been a choice in the matter ... I've personally seen a run-from-the-cops situation end in a crash (and the bike involved was certainly written off).

There's no indication what the rider involved in this one was charged with. It's likely some combination of stolen property plus careless/dangerous driving and possibly stunt driving, and there's a fair chance of no insurance and/or improper license. Given recent events, I have a hard time thinking the justice system will be lenient - it's more likely that they'll try to set an example of him. I hope so.

Was thinking the same thing.

Question: Are any of the crimes he committed treated as indictable (US equivalent to "felony") in Canada? Criminal code type stuff? If so, good. It may well be that he'll continue to flout the law now but there will come a time when he'll want to cross the border/travel, get a job, apply for a loan or even get legit insurance and he's going to find a criminal record not so easily dismissed then...
A double-edged sword; justice system.
On one side of the coin, "justice" is served. On the other, the lingering residue of a "criminal record" and how it becomes an obstacle for progression in society actually reinforces the criminality that encompasses his life.

In other words, the likelihood of him returning to his life of mischief is amplified by the same system that is punishing him.

The last thing I would want to do to someone who steals due to lack of income is create restrictions and additional obstacles for them while they attempt to seek employment.

(I'm aware that not all steal out of desperation or severe lacking. Some are out of greed, disregard for so and so, etc. Still, I can't see how attacking employment opportunities will help in any shape or form. )

The irony.

Sent from my Z957 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

A double-edged sword; justice system.
On one side of the coin, "justice" is served. On the other, the lingering residue of a "criminal record" and how it becomes an obstacle for progression in society actually reinforces the criminality that encompasses his life.

In other words, the likelihood of him returning to his life of mischief is amplified by the same system that is punishing him.

The last thing I would want to do to someone who steals due to lack of income is create restrictions and additional obstacles for them while they attempt to seek employment.

(I'm aware that not all steal out of desperation or severe lacking. Some are out of greed, disregard for so and so, etc. Still, I can't see how attacking employment opportunities will help in any shape or form. )

Stealing change from cars is a long stretch to stealing a plate so you can ride like a dick on (presumably) an uninsured motorcycle. I agree that in some instances, convictions hurt society more than they help. No sympathy for the rider from me in this case.

I'd be OK with a painful alternative punishment if it was possible (eg. fine of $50,000+ to be paid over 10 years to avoid a criminal conviction). You need to have the number high enough that playing the odds and riding dirty doesn't make sense. A fine of $5,000 is what many would pay for a single year of insurance so as long as you don't get caught more then every 366 days, you are winning.

You guys forget Canada does not have a justice system, we have a legal system.

nothing will happen, he will be back on the road in less than a month, probably sooner. drunk drivers don't seem to have that much of a problem, among other real criminals. so he will eventually end up 1-2 months in the slammer, big deal. that will not stop him from stealing another bike the next day and your plates the following evening.

...As for being deterred, if it was indeed his bike and not a stolen one, he likely already has new plates and is riding today. Generally, it takes a LOT more than a hiccup like this to deter them.

If it was his bike and he has a somewhat fixed address - wouldn't the cops just stake out his place from time-to-time? Easy pickings...

Stealing change from cars is a long stretch to stealing a plate so you can ride like a dick on (presumably) an uninsured motorcycle. I agree that in some instances, convictions hurt society more than they help. No sympathy for the rider from me in this case.

I'd be OK with a painful alternative punishment if it was possible (eg. fine of $50,000+ to be paid over 10 years to avoid a criminal conviction). You need to have the number high enough that playing the odds and riding dirty doesn't make sense. A fine of $5,000 is what many would pay for a single year of insurance so as long as you don't get caught more then every 366 days, you are winning.
Yeah that's true.
I'm for a painful alternative or a reformation of the "justice system" entirely.

I struggle with that outlook.

For something like this, if he up until that point had a clean nose, I wouldn't be overly upset if he ends up with a slap on the wrist and just a HTA charge but nothing criminal. But, IF he already had a record (or does it again), then throw the book at him.

There is a line beyond which slaps on the wrist just embolden those who can't can't follow the law since they feel like they can just keep doing it with nothing more than, well...a slap on the wrist. With no punishment that actually shakes them up, what's the incentive to stop and actually become a law abiding citizen?

Ultimately, a theft under $5K charge can be pardoned down the road if this is just stupid childish antics that one regrets in a decade when they realize actions had consequences.

I struggle with that outlook.

For something like this, if he up until that point had a clean nose, I wouldn't be overly upset if he ends up with a slap on the wrist and just a HTA charge but nothing criminal. But, IF he already had a record (or does it again), then throw the book at him.

There is a line beyond which slaps on the wrist just embolden those who can't can't follow the law since they feel like they can just keep doing it with nothing more than, well...a slap on the wrist. With no punishment that actually shakes them up, what's the incentive to stop and actually become a law abiding citizen?

Ultimately, a theft under $5K charge can be pardoned down the road if this is just stupid childish antics that one regrets in a decade when they realize actions had consequences.
I see what you mean.

I'm all for initial hard punishment, but it's the entire procedure of the system that is absolutely flawed.

Lock a criminal up for the right amount of time (preferably a shorter sentence) then he will feel the impact considerably.

Lock him up too long (everybody cheers) to the point where he starts to rust, then institutionalization sets in. The prison subculture influences, he starts to feel at home. The girlfriend leaves, his job is lost, and he establishes more underworld connections in his new found home than Al Pacino did. Then one day, they release that individual into society and innocent but unaware/ignorant people just want to hear how much time was served because you know, the more, the merrier.

If only they knew that he has just come out of "crime school" with more knowledge, ideas and plans surrounding criminality than when he went in there, they might realize the system isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Nobody is going to get a huge long sentence for a theft under $5K charge if they play their cards right, but I agree, for repeat offenders a month or three would get a very good point across but not ruin one life because they sink into institutionalization.

Back
Top Bottom