Stolen plates...guy arrested :D | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stolen plates...guy arrested :D

If it was his bike and he has a somewhat fixed address - wouldn't the cops just stake out his place from time-to-time? Easy pickings...

If it was his bike and it had someone else's license plate on it, how are the cops to figure out whose bike it is and who's riding it?

Capturing a VIN requires stopping the bike to take a close look at it.

A double-edged sword; justice system.
On one side of the coin, "justice" is served. On the other, the lingering residue of a "criminal record" and how it becomes an obstacle for progression in society actually reinforces the criminality that encompasses his life.

In other words, the likelihood of him returning to his life of mischief is amplified by the same system that is punishing him.

The last thing I would want to do to someone who steals due to lack of income is create restrictions and additional obstacles for them while they attempt to seek employment.

(I'm aware that not all steal out of desperation or severe lacking. Some are out of greed, disregard for so and so, etc. Still, I can't see how attacking employment opportunities will help in any shape or form. )

The irony.

Sent from my Z957 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

this is a very enlightened post....I like the thinking

this is a very enlightened post....I like the thinking

If it was a young single mother stealing a loaf of bread to feed her child I hope she'd be spared the justice system and got the real help she needed.

If this guy is, with premeditation and planning, going out under cover of darkness, tools in hand, seeking motorcycle licence plates to steal for purely selfish reasons then, sorry, I say to hell with him, especially if he is over the age of majority. Society has no time or desire to mollycoddle mature malcontents who, if they don't know right from wrong by now, never will.

If it was a young single mother stealing a loaf of bread to feed her child I hope she'd be spared the justice system and got the real help she needed.

If this guy is, with premeditation and planning, going out under cover of darkness, tools in hand, seeking motorcycle licence plates to steal for purely selfish reasons then, sorry, I say to hell with him, especially if he is over the age of majority. Society has no time or desire to mollycoddle mature malcontents who, if they don't know right from wrong by now, never will.

I agree
but I believe Genesis was thinking in the abstract
not necessarily about the license plate crook
and I don't see any conclusions drawn
just some good thinking and writing

If it was his bike and it had someone else's license plate on it, how are the cops to figure out whose bike it is and who's riding it?

Capturing a VIN requires stopping the bike to take a close look at it.

Think he means for future issues.

yeah - the conversation was that with major penalties, he has nothing more to lose by doing it again...

I remember this guy I knew 25 years ago. He got nailed for drunk driving, lost his license. Next thing I knew he was driving again. Then he got caught and they took his car. A month later he was driving a Suburban he got from some guy who owed him drug money. Went on driving it for some time, stolen or fake plates I can't remember. Then he got caught again and the judge sentenced him to weekends for two months. He moved away and got another car, started driving illegally again, last I heard he was still driving in spite of a long driving ban. People are going to do what they have to do to survive, even if it means breaking the law.

I remember this guy I knew 25 years ago. He got nailed for drunk driving, lost his license. Next thing I knew he was driving again. Then he got caught and they took his car. A month later he was driving a Suburban he got from some guy who owed him drug money. Went on driving it for some time, stolen or fake plates I can't remember. Then he got caught again and the judge sentenced him to weekends for two months. He moved away and got another car, started driving illegally again, last I heard he was still driving in spite of a long driving ban. People are going to do what they have to do to survive, even if it means breaking the law.

It used to be that the jails were so crowded on weekends that people sentenced to W/Es showed up at the last possible minute to meet the conditions and they would be told the cells are full so go home and place yourself under house arrest.

Genesis points out the USA hard line attitude and its flaws. The US recidivism rate is many times ours, one of the worst in the world.

Of course it's a criminal offence to steal plates just as it is to steal anything.
It's also an offence to be found in possession of stolen property.
Then you have the HTA offence of using a false plate.
Also the insurance is invalid in this situation, so drive no insurance.
No doubt this yahoo had no insurance anyway.

Back
Top Bottom