Honda Magna 750 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Magna 750

I got one a few years ago, but had to store it under a tarp due to space limitations. Now I can't get it started as all the electrical connections are corroded and I haven't had time to take them all apart and clean them. At least now it's in the garage.

80 or 90 hp compared to a Shadow 750 at ~40 to 50.

Wait a minute, I am finding Shadow 750's from 38 hp to 75 hp? Is that just internet wrongness or is Honda really making that wide a power range out of one engine size?

Wait a minute, I am finding Shadow 750's from 38 hp to 75 hp? Is that just internet wrongness or is Honda really making that wide a power range out of one engine size?
I think the shaft drive years were more hp. But I don't know much. I do know that mine is on the low end of hp. And I am perfectly fine with it.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I had an '85 V45 Sabre. Max was supposed to be about 82HP. The 750 Gixxer it shared a garage with was 112 HP. My current is supposed to be 100HP.

Last edited:
honda has made so many fantastic bikes. i love my 85 nighthawk and my dad has a 84 magna v65, it's bloody quick i believe it has 116hp

AFAIK, much of it is misinformation/confusion with the history of a few bikes and their related naming conventions, plus some significant engine differences, even within the v twin offerings.

As I understand it, the 750 and 1100 shadows were v twins (there were 500s, 600s and 700s shadow vtwins offered too <the 700's were destroked 750's for the Harley related US foreign motorcycle import duty days in the 80s>). Where people get confused and mix things up is that technically there were some significant engine model differences over the years within these two engine sizes in the shadow lineup. Both single pin and double pin crankshaft vtwin engine designs were built and offered over the years :blob7:. And they are fairly different; they will sound very different and have different hp. Considering all that, single pin crankshaft 750's will have ~40 hp, 1100's will have ~50-55 hp, and double pin versions of those engines will have about 10 more hp each.

There were also magnas and sabres in the 80's that looked similar and were 750 and 1100's but v4's, and with significantly more horsepower. (750's had 75-80 hp and 1100's had over 110 hp).

To make things more confusing, on top of that Honda used the sabre name in the 80's for v4 engine bikes and in the 90s+ for some shadow model vtwin engine bikes.

I've seen people mix all this up and/or lump them together, and then you get 75 hp shadow 750's.

Perhaps someone has more info as well.

I did find two links discussing the breakdown of single vs double pin crankshaft shadow twins over different years and for both the 750 and 1100, though I haven't tried to confirm it. Edited for better reading comprehension.

750 From what I have read and what the parts manual drawings show.... it looks as if the single pin crank was introduced in 1995 for the "1995 American Classic Edition (A.C.E.)" and that basic design... has been used up until today for all the 750 ACE's, Aero's, Phantoms and Spirits...

The Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 1998-2000 had a single pin crank, but - 2001 -2002 used a dual pin crank. The ACE (American Classic Edition) VT1100 had a single pin crank. The 1100 Spirit from 93 to 2007 had a twin pin crank, as does the Sabre and the Ace Tourer. The twin pin crank engine produces about 10 more hp or around 60 rear wheel horsepower.

This link has the older 80's and 90's shadow models listed, and shows a mix of single pin and double pin crankshafts over the models, just to make it more confusing.
http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=1687-en

Last edited:
I don't know what the difference between single and double pin is, but iirc my '98 750 ACE is a single pin

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I don't know what the difference between single and double pin is, but iirc my '98 750 ACE is a single pin
It can be looked up on google. A double pin design is a much better balanced crankshaft, less vibration and more power, but it doesn't have the lopey sound and feel of a single pin crankshaft (they sound very different from Harley's and odd to some people). The classic harley engine is a single pin crankshaft.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/106537-twin-pin-vs-single-pin.html

Back
Top Bottom