Bolt is out - 300+ range | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bolt is out - 300+ range

"It consists of 288 individual cells in five sections, 10 modules and 96 cell groups. The pack comes with an eight-year/160,000 km warranty that guarantees a minimum of 65 per cent of the original capacity at the end of the warranty period.

When this is the only source of power for the car, it’s natural to question its bona fides but Harry Ng, Product Manager for the Bolt, told me that while similar individual cells in the Chevy Volt have been replaced on occasion, GM has never had to replace a battery pack so far.

Yes, the battery pack is substantial, weighing in at 435 kg. But that mass of potential power translates into an estimated 383 km range, or just over 200 miles."

wtf, that's not great. Theoretical 383 km range now, will be down to ~250 km theoretical within 10 years? It will be interesting to see how the real ranges are working out. I like to keep cars for 10 years, if the range does fall off this much, the bolt is entirely out of consideration. I would have liked to see 80%+ guaranteed at 10 years. They obviously picked 65 for a reason, so they are probably expecting 70 or so as a reasonable rating.

Edit:
48,000 for a sonic??? That buys a crap ton of gas.

Last edited:
What I want is an extended-range Volt with the same backup gas tank. Pure electric is still ahead of its time.

wtf, that's not great. Theoretical 383 km range now, will be down to ~250 km theoretical within 10 years? It will be interesting to see how the real ranges are working out. I like to keep cars for 10 years, if the range does fall off this much, the bolt is entirely out of consideration. I would have liked to see 80%+ guaranteed at 10 years. They obviously picked 65 for a reason, so they are probably expecting 70 or so as a reasonable rating.

I think they've set this up intentionally on the side of caution. Will there be not a single Bolt with degradation as low as 65% in 8 years ... surely will, but it will not be the majority, on contrary, would be my guess (BTW, the battery is usually "bigger" than they claim in specs, assuming there will be some degradation ....). It all depends on the driving/charging patterns etc. ..... hard to really know for certain. I would rather predict 8 years 80% and that is fine for most people I would think. Also, it will not matter much to new owners as I expect most people leasing anyways. At best, it will influence resale value of a used-after-lease unit.

What I want is an extended-range Volt with the same backup gas tank. Pure electric is still ahead of its time.

At some point, increase the battery size and keeping the whole ICE unit stops making a sense. What capacity you think you need?

The battery on the Bolt is apparently more like 65kwh, not 60, to allow for degradation. GM has also been extremely cautious in how they set up the software and battery management, to the point that there are Volt's with 300,000 Miles and no discernible degradation. Naturally there is battery degradation, but the driver is not seeing a decrease in available range. Of course, in ten years, the cost of the pack should also be substantially less so it will very likely make economic sense to replace as long as the rest of the car is in good shape.

At some point, increase the battery size and keeping the whole ICE unit stops making a sense. What capacity you think you need?

~250kms range on pure electric. One-way to cottage country. Then enough gas range to come home, 'cause I'm unlikely to have adequate charging equipment at the cottage, if I can charge at all.

The current Volt is inadequate - I run out of electric power just running an errand to Mississauga and back. It feels like little more than a tech demo.

And the Bolt is not even an option right now because my condo building is not EV-enabled.

small cars with ICE are pretty efficient and have long range
it's larger EV's that need to be worked out: SUV's and pickups

although getting the 4x4 crowd to buy an EV will be a struggle

although getting the 4x4 crowd to buy an EV will be a struggle

I don't think so....majority of 4x4 never go off roading anyway. I didn't know the X5 came in electric yet when I went to check out the charge station below our building....boom beautiful X5 charing up. I was shocked but happy to see it there.

I think it's a matter of bringing cars that people want to buy. Are there even any SUVs in EV tech? (outside of the X5 that I saw)

I don't think so....majority of 4x4 never go off roading anyway. I didn't know the X5 came in electric yet when I went to check out the charge station below our building....boom beautiful X5 charing up. I was shocked but happy to see it there.

I think it's a matter of bringing cars that people want to buy. Are there even any SUVs in EV tech? (outside of the X5 that I saw)

the SUV AWD crowd sure, they'd be open to EV's

I was thinking about the Grab Life By the Horns, Monster sticker in the back window bros
truck could go 1,000 km for 5 cent charge and they'd never buy one

I'll be looking into electric over the next two years. Looks like it's the way the world is heading. Technology just keeps getting better for them. The move away from ICE's has begun.

~250kms range on pure electric. One-way to cottage country. Then enough gas range to come home, 'cause I'm unlikely to have adequate charging equipment at the cottage, if I can charge at all.

The current Volt is inadequate - I run out of electric power just running an errand to Mississauga and back. It feels like little more than a tech demo.

And the Bolt is not even an option right now because my condo building is not EV-enabled.

Condos with 400 parking spaces aren't rare. Adding that feature to a new building would make for a noticeable price bump. For an older building scary big.

My CAA magazine came in and has a short write up on the Bolt.

Base Price $42,795 less rebate of $12,389

Some braking options that will be a challenge for people that can't figure out turn signals or high beams.

Recharging can be done from a 120 volt outlet but a 12 hour charge only gets you 77 kms of driving. So drive to the shack Friday night and immediately plug in. Don't go anywhere in the car over the weekend and Sunday night you should be good for about 300 kms.

The EV problem keeps coming back to the inability to refill the tank, so to speak, in five minutes at the nearest of many thousands of existing gas stations.

If you believe Ford, the model T changed the world. Go anywhere and reduced pollution (No more horse poo and no more dead horses rotting at the side of the road). If Auntie Kathy waved her magic wand and all of our vehicles were converted to pure EVs overnight we would mostly survive but our concepts of life would change.

Shopping would have to be planned. When I lived near High Park many decades ago I could walk to a grocery, shoe or hardware store, a block or two away. Now a person living there has to drive or take alternate transportation to a distant big box area. You could drive but remember a one hour 120 volt top up only gets you about 6 kms, 3 kms each way. Could we see a return to small neighbourhood stores?

Are you going to use up precious kilowatts to go for a coffee or just brew your own?

To keep a full tank of electrons means plugging in every time you stop. Pulling out the cord and going through the routine could get a bit tiresome but if you don't and suddenly you have to go somewhere you don't have the range or the time to acquire the range. Life is going to be less flexible.

I recall a M/C trip to Amish country in Ohio (Nice riding BTW) and meeting an old Amish farmer. In discussion it came out that his wife had died and he remarried. He said she was a good woman but she wanted to visit her family every weekend and they lived THIRTEEN MILES AWAY. We do that for a coffee.

Horses have an advantage over EVs. With horses buy two and get one free....in a year or so.

this scenario which is common for the majority, is where a 50mpg hybrid makes the most sense.

Plain and simple......EV's are not for everyone

Why such negativity, it's great for those that can use it within it's means, and those that cannot should not even be looking at one, stick with a conventional vehicle or a hybrid, as one can see and plain as day that a pure EV is not for you...

I am a great candidate for an EV, and it will probably be one of my next vehicles, I have 6 km round trip to work and back, I can use the company vehicle for any errands during the day, I don't have a cottage to go to, or any other long distance place, most vacations are in Europe, or some hot destination so needing a car to get there isn't necessary anyways, to go shopping takes 5 minutes of commuting, OK maybe 15, but there are outlets for EV's, or I just will plug in at home, as it will be set up for 220 or 120 or whatever is required, as it is a home, not a condo, or a rental or......

now if none of the above was true, well I wouldn't be bashing the EV vehicles, I just wouldn't get one, ohh and just for the times I do need to go further or carry more, I will keep my SUV, and if need be once it's dead and gone, I would get another.

Tesla Model 3, reservation will be in the next 2 weeks, on holidays so need to do something, as its a stay at home vacation.....

I'd say potential users like yourself are not exactly EV or plug-in hybrid customer base. Keep using your gasser (as long as Wynne or somebody like her takes it from your hands or limits its use ... LOL).

I am sure you can charge at the cottage, but it will be slow from 12A outlet .... so you'd have to plan a bit ... you don't sound like a person willing to do that, working around that. Of course much better option woul be to install 220V/40A outlet ... which will cut your charging times significantly.

Just do dig deeper into your concern ... I assume you have one car only and want to use it for weekly commute and weekend out-of-town fun? If so, forget it, unless you can accept Volt (or install proper charging to reflect your needs). it will take years before there's enough fast chargers along your way to let you use fully EV. You will not see hybrids with 250 EV km and ICE extender anytime soon or perhaps ever .... because it really would be expensive now (large battery and ICE costs as well) with few sales. In the meantime, in coming years EV's will take over so the ICE will be completely gone as range extender and you will buy full EV. I doubt we will ever see Volt able to do 250km in pure EV mode.

If you have two cars, the way to do it is to take one car and call it city car (VOLT, BOLT, soon coming new LEAF would be your choices) and use it for such activities. And dedicate the second gasser car to the weekend stuff (plus of course commute as well).

Everyone's situation differs, but I find that people sometimes just try put a square peg into a round hole ....

The battery on the Bolt is apparently more like 65kwh, not 60, to allow for degradation. GM has also been extremely cautious in how they set up the software and battery management, to the point that there are Volt's with 300,000 Miles and no discernible degradation.

I agree. GM's just doing the "Cover your ***" routine with the 65% figure - reality is most will maintain FAR more than that, probably 80-90%, but if they didn't state the 65% figure you know without doubt someone would sue them.

I suspect the 65% figure is absolute worst case scenario - someone who depletes the battery flat dead before every charge, lives in a stupid hot climate like Arizona, relies on DCFC excessively, and generally "abuses" (using the term loosely) the battery in every way possible.

The average owner who rarely uses the full battery capacity (which face it, is the overwhelming majority of people) and charge it routinely before it even reaches 50/75% of depleted capacity, lives in a moderate climate, and only uses DCFC when necessary, well, I'm extremely confident saying that actual ranges will stay quite healthy.

Using the Volt batteries as an example is exactly right - GM engineers nailed it with the Volt - ours (with 145,000KM on the odometer) still easily exceeds the stated factory range by a significant amount.

Back
Top Bottom