Is this dented rim repairable? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this dented rim repairable?

Owen

I have some parts listed for sale on kijiji and unfortunately don't have what this particular guy needs. But was curious if there's a solution to his problem other than buying a new wheel. Like most bikes, they're very difficult to find used and are $500+ for OEM.

Think this dent is repairable? If so, where can they go get it fix?

link to photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozxvjcui6phqmoj/received_10155225540865734.png?dl=0

received_10155225540865734.png

Wouldn't it be possible to weld more material on then use a lathe to bring it back to normal dimension?

Wouldn't it be possible to weld more material on then use a lathe to bring it back to normal dimension?

in theory, yes....but the economics of doing that and accepting the reliability would make it expensive

if it were me I'd try to bend it back with a hammer and a piece of hardwood

keep in mind the metal has fatigued, and will more bending it back

if you can get it back into shape maybe run a tube-tire to be on the safe side

If it was mine, I would have already tried that but with a ton of heat before wacking it. But it's not mine.

You will not bend back an aluminum wheel...

Professionally, it could be repaired. I wouldn't recommend it personally. Not something you want to play with. Possibility of failure is high on repaired wheels, especially welded ones.

Another reason is that such a wheel may not be true any more. (Off round)

Finally, this is not a cheap process.
You can generally find a used wheel in good shape for most motorcycles. What bike is it from?

Last edited:
From the photo, with only a single disc it appears the wheel is on a smaller displacement machine (CBR250 maybe).
Have you priced a new replacement ?
OEM parts may surprise you at how cheap they are, making it not worth repairing.

Do you know how big a lathe is required to chuck up a rim? By the time you got this attached to such a lathe, you would already have spent more than a new rim.

Go to a scrap yard, there should be lots of bikes there with beat up plastics and good rims.

Rims are generally not *worth* trying to repair and assessing the suitability of repair is beyond most anyway. I knew a magician that fixed one rim for me, but refused another. Something about the shape/alloy used. Mind you, not many people have multiple mastered trades under their belt.

Do you know how big a lathe is required to chuck up a rim? By the time you got this attached to such a lathe, you would already have spent more than a new rim.

Go to a scrap yard, there should be lots of bikes there with beat up plastics and good rims.

Big lathe is not necessarily required it's the swing over the bed, my brothers shop had a swing over bed of 24 inches, yet the lathe was not huge in its self, it was a typical machine shop lathe, however it was longer than average as he used to do a lot of long shafts, if his 4 jaw chuck was on the lathe, it would not take long to put that rim on, center it, machine it, probably 2 hours shop time.

however a dent the size this rim has, I would be leery of having it repaired, get a good used one or get a new one....

Big lathe is not necessarily required it's the swing over the bed, my brothers shop had a swing over bed of 24 inches, yet the lathe was not huge in its self, it was a typical machine shop lathe, however it was longer than average as he used to do a lot of long shafts, if his 4 jaw chuck was on the lathe, it would not take long to put that rim on, center it, machine it, probably 2 hours shop time.

I call a 24" swing a big lathe. Many lathes could do it if you removed the gap, but now you need to add the time to remove and install the gap as well as most people have the gap in. I think clamping the hub in a chuck is asking for problems. I doubt it will be square and you will definitely mar the finish unless you have a huge collet (in which case the hub not being a perfect cylinder again causes you problems). I think you have to reference off the machined sides of the hub and either turn it between centres or clamp it to a face plate. In any case, before it got near a lathe, you'd need to add metal. We're all back to get a new/used rim (or keep riding the dented one as it will be safer than bending it back).

You can stop talking about lathes... and yes, a 24" swing lathe is a big lathe.
IF this rim is to be repaired it will not be on a lathe.

If this rim is to be repaired it will be with a little heat and a lot of hitting with a hammer.

No one I know will repair a street bike rim anymore, too much liability.
Try Carcone http://www.carcone.com/wheel-refinishing/about/

I guess me being around lathes for the better part of 20 years and most were in the 24 inch swing, I consider them to be average lathes, the CNC ones we had latter on were bigger in size but could not do 24 inch swing, I am not sure but I don't think they even did 12 inches, I don't consider the hobby lathes as something to do real work on, or at least big pieces. I guess it's all what one is used to....

Hey OP at least it's not a stock BMW rim, last time I called to inquire about one it was $1400.00 new

If it was mine, I would have already tried that but with a ton of heat before wacking it. But it's not mine.

ever try to weld aluminum? reacts very different to heat than steel
does not change colour like steel, looks to be going well, then when you cross the heat threshold
a huge blob falls away followed immediately by a loud " fokkk!!! "

I know it ain't yours, but felt like sharing my aluminum welding failure story

You can generally find a used wheel in good shape for most motorcycles. What bike is it from?

No, you can't. At least not quickly. Ninja 300.

Took me ages to get my hands on spare front wheel for my Ninja 250 race bike for rain tires. People wreck the front more often than not in a street crash.

Excellent idea. Thanks!

We're all back to get a new/used rim (or keep riding the dented one as it will be safer than bending it back).

I'd take my chances with bending it back than a bent one where the tire bead is more likely to go.

But yeah, a "new" wheel is best bet. I'm just trying to help a new rider get on the road...safely of course.

From the photo, with only a single disc it appears the wheel is on a smaller displacement machine (CBR250 maybe).
Have you priced a new replacement ?
OEM parts may surprise you at how cheap they are, making it not worth repairing.

$575-ish with bearings and taxes.
Ninja 300.

Rims are generally not *worth* trying to repair and assessing the suitability of repair is beyond most anyway. I knew a magician that fixed one rim for me, but refused another. Something about the shape/alloy used. Mind you, not many people have multiple mastered trades under their belt.

Makes sense. I've seen videos of aluminum rims being repaired but imagine there are a lot of subtleties that can't be seen in a photo with the tire on.

$575 all in ?
Buy a new one - what's your *ss worth ?

It's not mine. Just trying to help someone find answers that's on a budget and time limit being the end of the season.

The way I see it, if it's repaired and has full confidence in the bead of the tire holding fine, it'll be alright. The likelihood of it failing from being slightly weaker is probably far less than getting in an accident cause by anything else.

Back
Top Bottom