Sanitizing History??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sanitizing History???

A war memorial is not a tribute to the ilk that fought to enslave or exterminate others, that is the difference.

The ban on Nazi symbols does not extend to, for example, historical movies originally made in that era.

a few hundred years we will be all the same colour...and it ain't gonna be white...more like coffee coloured

but in the meantime we shouldn't be celebrating a part of the past where economies treated humans as property to achieve margin

I suspect a large percentage of the gap toothed billies could be persuaded to lead a protest march against green jello. 3 smart guys get a collection of misfits and a common goal and away we go. What are you rebelling against? what have you got....

Let's hear your proposal.

History is history. Some who went through bad times, want to, and need to forget it. Others need to remember so that it doesn't repeat itself.

Tearing down and erasing the bad things as though they never existed, doesn't work.

There's always going to be someone trying to exploit people and their anger.

We need to help each other overcome our anger.

The ban on Nazi symbols does not extend to, for example, historical movies originally made in that era.

I know someone who came to Canada after WWII with their household goods including china plates with a swastika mark on the bottom. I'm sure some skinhead would enjoy having them.

The US South had largely an agricultural economy and picking cotton would be expensive if you had to pay the workers. As a bonus the employers could selectively breed their staff and sell the offspring. (Guess how those big football players evolved.)

We wouldn't want monuments to Hitler as they could be focal points for violence. Similarly monuments to traitors to the united states and to slavers could be rallying points for those that haven't accepted the defeat of a century and a half ago.

What percentage of the southern population considers themselves American and what percentage considers themselves Southerners?

Succession today would have oil added as part of the economy. Hmmmmm...

U.S. foreign policy is weird. Over 58,000 Americans died in Vietnam but by 2001 trade agreements were in place. Hiro Hito got to keep playing god and Communist China rules the trade waves but Cuba gets stomped on........except when you want a decent cigar.

History is history. Some who went through bad times, want to, and need to forget it. Others need to remember so that it doesn't repeat itself.

Tearing down and erasing the bad things as though they never existed, doesn't work.

There's always going to be someone trying to exploit people and their anger.

We need to help each other overcome our anger.

What history? How does a Jewish person or African-American even begin to start dialogue with someone who calls for their current annihilation or subjugation?

I think holding historical figures to today's standard is ridiculous - Robert Lee (or Cornwallis in Halifax) were a product of their times. That being said, I don't think they deserve statues.

Let the statues be for the ones we don't have to give context for.

Anything else is glorifying history - another way of sanitizing

Just my 2 cents

Numbers are exaggerated, but they have a point.

20799221_1401278396660108_8163156170727887504_n.jpg
I was watching citytv & some of the people were carrying Russian flags. Do those people even know what communism represents?

Plaque in honor of Confederate Leader Jefferson Davies was removed from The Hudson's Bay Company store in Montreal. Story:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/confederate-plaque-removed-from-downtown-hudson-bay-wall

I don't understand removing historical figures, plaques and statues. Erasing history is not the answer to solving discrimination, hate and racism. I think better education is. I can't for the life of me understand the neo-Nazi people. To me, membership in a Nazi Party is treason and a betrayal of our young men who died to bring those tyrants down. If the year was 1945 neo-Nazis would be put up against a wall and shot. But free speech is what it is today. Even hate speech is free speech in my book. I have confidence that when presented with the whole truth the public makes the right decisions and rejects the cruel ideologies of hate groups.

I read a great quote from a German guy today that said something like "history isn't erased by removing statues, we don't need statues of Hitler to remember what he represented". In case you didn't get the reference it was in reply to the Trump statements. There's a video on the BBC website where someone calls on their neighbour to ask why he's flying a nazi flag....basically he doesn't really know and looks like the dumb redneck he is.

I visited Dacau when I was younger, it gave me some perspective on what happened, that I wouldn't have gotten had it been removed. So I believe that the German gentleman is wrong, sometimes we need links to the past, to realize how truly horrible we can be to each other, and keep us on the straight and narrow.

What history? How does a Jewish person or African-American even begin to start dialogue with someone who calls for their current annihilation or subjugation?

Why would you have them try and start dialogue? That's for the rest of us to do.

.... "history isn't erased by removing statues, we don't need statues of Hitler to remember what he represented". .....

Was thinking the same thing. Removing statues, plaques or changing names of buildings doesn't erase history. It just doesn't flaunt the negative....like the Langevin block renaming.

I visited Dacau when I was younger, it gave me some perspective on what happened, that I wouldn't have gotten had it been removed. So I believe that the German gentleman is wrong, sometimes we need links to the past, to realize how truly horrible we can be to each other, and keep us on the straight and narrow.

Why would you have them try and start dialogue? That's for the rest of us to do.

Dachau is a monument to the horror of the past so it won't be repeated in the future. I went to Natzwiller Stuthoff in the Vosges Mountains and saw the camp there that still has the crematoria and a lynching area and electrified fences preserved....it was bone chilling. Every school kid should see these things. Statues are totally different.

Was thinking the same thing. Removing statues, plaques or changing names of buildings doesn't erase history. It just doesn't flaunt the negative....like the Langevin block renaming.

economy of language, I like this and it baffles me how some people struggle to understand something so patently obvious

Dachau is a monument to the horror of the past so it won't be repeated in the future. I went to Natzwiller Stuthoff in the Vosges Mountains and saw the camp there that still has the crematoria and a lynching area and electrified fences preserved....it was bone chilling. Every school kid should see these things. Statues are totally different.
How?

Back
Top Bottom