Calling Cruiser Owners! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calling Cruiser Owners!

As much as I would love to own a magna, all the ones remotely close to me are 25+ years old with ~80k on them.

As mentioned, that mileage on the engine is not a big deal at all.

As for what's available, it doesn't seem you are looking that hard for them. A few examples

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...0c/1285951662?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Looks great and low low low miles.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...0c/1280066610?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...na/1289055100?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
1500 km, wow.

Last edited:
Friend has had a Shadow 750 for over 10 years now. She loves it. It's on it's second paint job now (got bored of the colour).

I have noticed online that people with Honda Shadows and Star 650s love their bikes, so the chances are that you'd be happy with a shadow.

A quick google search tells me that the v-twins have quarter mile times in the high 15-second range, while the Vulcan S is in the low 13s. If you feel the need for speed, the Vulcan is a lot faster

Older Shadows were in the 12s. So you have to pick and choose your timeline carefully.

Edit: Define pleasure and commute please? Where to, how much stuff, passengers, etc? How far to commute, what type of traffic, type of roads etc?

Last edited:
As much as I would love to own a magna, all the ones remotely close to me are 25+ years old with ~80k on them.
My biggest issue with the magna is the under 200k tank range, I hate gassing up all the time.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

FWIW, those other two twins won't be much better. :)
I know, that's why I ride an adv tourer, 350-400km on a tank. I had a shadow 1100 once, 180-200km on a tank. Had it less than 30 days.

Why magna for some people. :lmao: [video=youtube;VjqUNMecMnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjqUNMecMnI[/video]
Need the big 65 cu. in. Magna for that. Too bad the brakes are crap.

My biggest issue with the magna is the under 200k tank range, I hate gassing up all the time.

For those few of us left that still smoke, that's a perfect range. Maybe a bit too much depending on the day. :)

My bike usage will be probably an even mix of pleasure and commute. With that in mind, comfort and fuel usage will be decent factors, but also looking for something that will not crap out on me often parts and maintenance wise.

The two bikes I'm really liking are the Shadow Phantom and the Vulcan S.

Edit: Define pleasure and commute please? Where to, how much stuff, passengers, etc? How far to commute, what type of traffic, type of roads etc?

That was my question as well. What kind of mileage are you talking about for both your pleasure and commute riding? If your commute is 25KM and you're average pleasure ride is 100KM or less in our sort of local terrain you're looking for a different bike than if your commute is 100KM and your pleasure riding might include 1000+KM trips into challenging terrain.

Reliability? No major concerns with either and parts for most run of the mill metrics are a dime a dozen, particularly for the Shadow as parts are interchangeable across a huge swath of models/years of the Shadow lineup. They are SUPER reliable bikes as well easily running WELL into the 100,000+KM range and still running like a Timex with nothing more than oil changes, new rubber when necessary, and basic routine maintenance.

Fuel consumption? Most bikes accomplish between 4-6L/100KM in this range, don't sweat it - worry about range between required fuel stops more than fuel economy IF you're into long distance riding as tank size matters most there. If you want the absolute best distance travelled per L of fuel, buy a Prius - honestly - they'll yield better fuel economy than many bikes. Fuel economy wouldn't concern me much unless you're travelling over 20,000KM or more per year, otherwise don't fret it - tank size will matter a lot more and have a bigger effect vs buying a bike that burns 1L/100KM less than another one.

And yes, if you plan on riding with passengers would also be an important question.

Back
Top Bottom