Oil change for gearbox | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil change for gearbox

Sameer07

Hi

Recently, I had first oil change done on my yamaha scooter. On the manual, it says to use 10W-30 for GEARBOX, however the mechanic who did the service recommended using SIP SAE80. He told me that SIP SAE80 made specifically, for scooter gearbox and better than 10W-30. I dont know what to made of it.

Some people I talked to claiming that Yamaha S-Max 150cc is a low powered ctv scooter so any kind of oil would do. are they correct?

I am quite new to the world of motorcycle and hoping you can help me understand concept behind oil change on gearbox.

Anyone here family with this product? Below is the link to the web site.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/base/Details.aspx?ProductNumber=14410000&_language=en

Thanks in advance

Use what the manual recommends. Hypoid gear oil has very specific application, if the factory wanted it they'd tell you to use it.

It's not an exact match for 10W30, but it's in the right ballpark: http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-engine-oil-bel-ray-gear-oil-differences-explained

PS2_TechNotesV3%2310-300x169.jpg

Use what the manual recommends. Hypoid gear oil has very specific application, if the factory wanted it they'd tell you to use it.

Where did you get Hypoid?

OP: The scooter was designed with 10-30 in mind (scooters are sold in areas that are not well served with bike shops so they design around a universally available oil).
You can use any GL4 rated gear lube.

"Where did you get Hypoid?"

- ALL gear oils are hypoid unless designed for limited slip differentials. If the factory doesn't deem it necessary, why bother ?

the SIP sae80 is GL4 rated , it will work just fine in your yamaha scooter

Thank you so much... I was worried, even contemplating on taking it to the dealer and serviced. Only reason I took it to the local mechanic because dealer was asking $180 plus tax for first service. After reading all the information available online. I decided that there is nothing much dealer going to do what a good motorcycle mechanic cannot .

Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom