Low Budget Helmet Bluetooth Sets | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Low Budget Helmet Bluetooth Sets

Sonduren(Canadian Rider) was trying out a new one when he had his subscriber ride, said it had been working out pretty well.

Last edited:
That's a good question, id like to know too

Im looking to get some Bluetooth sets for 2 full face helmets. Hoping to spend about $100 each, is this doable? Im only looking for rider to rider pairing and maybe some music (Iphone 6+) but it doesnt need to be the best or fanciest device out there, just something that holds a decent charge and wont break after a month. Anyone have any suggestions?

My wife and I bought two Sena 3S headsets ($125 each plus tax) and we're very very happy with them. If we ride two-up, the Bluetooth intercom is fine. For bike to bike intercom, the Bluetooth intercom range is much less than the 200m Sena states...it technically works up to ~200m line-of-sight but it gets very crackly much sooner, to the point that it's very distracting. We knew all of this before buying.

Our plan was to each pair our headsets with our respective phones and use our phones for comms (unlimited range but of course this uses voice or data). For two riders who have unlimited voice calling on their mobile plans, it could be as simple as a phone call. We decided to use a chat app called Discord (originally designed for gamers) for our voice comms. Data usage is about 14MB per hour at a 32Kbps bitrate, which we are comfortable with. Audio quality is very very good, and our occasional riding friends have also downloaded Discord so we can group chat (no inter-brand compatibility to worry about). Just raising this somewhat non-traditional comm option for you. Worth considering if you're ok to use mobile data, as the unlimited range is very nice, especially considering the headsets were reasonably priced.

I suppose you could also use Whatsapp, Hangouts, etc for multi-user voice comms on your phone, but we liked the adjustable bitrate offered by Discord as the other options can be data hogs with limited/no adjustability.

That reminds me. I downloaded this app called Motolky. Supposed to allow Bluetooth connection between devices for communication.

Never tried to pursue further after downloading. Maybe someone who has 2 Bluetooth phones handy can try?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

@moarmoto, although we didn't try Motolky, we did try a similar app called Walkietooth. Range was very poor and the audio quality suffered since we tried it with traditional smartphone headsets (i.e. the noise cancellation was terrible). It might be ok for rider to passenger comms though. I'm obviously making assumptions that Motolkey would be similar and realize this reply may not be very helpful :)

Also, not sure if it would work with a moto-specific bluetooth headset since the Bluetooth connection would already be in use. We also tried WiFi direct connections before settling on our solution of the Sena 3S + a voice chat app.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys but Im gonna try out the V6 1200m headsets. Theres a guy locally who will sell a pair for $135 so you really cant get better than that for low budget. Will update again once Ive used it to give anyone else interested a review

I just bought a pair of the v6 ones for $88CAD total on ebay. If you still want to buy from the local guy, haggle him down, tell him you know how much they're worth.

Just ordered the V5 from DX for $95 w/free shipping, not a fan of the small buttons on the V6 at all.

Just picked up the V6 and installed it in my helmet and I must say, it is louder than I thought it would be. The key is to place the speakers right behind the padding where your ears sit. Once I got the speaker positioning right it was great. Going to test out the pairing tomorrow but so far theyre awesome!

Just picked up the V6 and installed it in my helmet and I must say, it is louder than I thought it would be. The key is to place the speakers right behind the padding where your ears sit. Once I got the speaker positioning right it was great. Going to test out the pairing tomorrow but so far theyre awesome!

Keep an eye on the brackets - both of ours broke inside a few weeks. It's a crappy design and a definate weak spot. I eventually ground off the little bracket nubs on the back of the intercoms and opted for velcro instead - has worked great for a over a year now.

For anyone interested I picked up a BTS2 off amazon.ca on Friday. I usually ride solo and like just being out there enjoying the ride, not taking calls etc but there have been times where it would have been good to be able to answer a call. I looked at the usual suspects but just didn't need a lot of the features they offered so it didn't make a lot of sense to put that much money into it. I poked around online and here as well to see what other options were available, and pretty much wanted the simplest/cheapest unit that suited my needs. This thing is great! Now I will say it does have it's shortcomings depending on what exactly you are looking for, but for the $60 it does what I need it to, and more. Calls are crystal clear and no one can tell I'm on the bike even at 80 km/h. I haven't taken it on the highway yet but don't believe it will be any less clear given the results thus far. Built in FM radio or it can connect to your phone/mp3 player. Waterproof. The speakers can be a bit tinny but you can't expect perfection at that price. There is also a last number redial. All the controls (aside from power) work through a three button interface that is easy to use with gloves on. One downside would be that IIRC it can only connect intercom to 1 other unit, but that didn't matter to me.

I also started wearing earplugs the same day I installed this unit and can hear clearly with them in. The earplugs make a huge difference to the noise levels, I should have done that sooner.

Regards and happy motoring.

51caRZh-%2BUL.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...a37-588f-95bc-bb3619041438&pf_rd_i=3328320011

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom