Something different. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Something different.

Shaman

Took my Porsche 911 Turbo S to the drag strip at Shannonville Friday night.

Against my expectations, I ended up dominating the whole production car group that showed up. At around 9 pm, a guy with a very stripped and prepared fox-body mustang running nitrous and what looked like full slicks - could have been over-sized DOT slicks - beat my best E.T. by 0.1 seconds, but was about 7mph off my trap speeds.

Cars that were 10x louder than mine, and were truly intimidating, just ended up in my rear view mirror. Time after time. They'd do a big burnout and purge nitrous or use a brutally loud stutter box on the stage line, but then end up 1/4 of the track behind me in my mirror when we put throttle down.

I was pretty shocked. My car is dead stock and has tires with multiple track days (road course) as well as 24k on them - near the end of their life. All night, I was trying different traction control and suspension settings (they're electronic), and still blew all 4 tires off repeatedly. Yet, it was dominating. It even beat a V-Max.

Here's the time slips. Viva la modern car! :D

20170811225614-3f60e4ad-me.jpg

20170522223411-768286a0-me.jpg

Now, before I seem elitist or something, I had an awesome time talking to the local drag racers and their kids. They were all true enthusiasts and were really great to talk to. One guy had a Mustang fox-body which pulled the front tires a foot off the ground and ran an 11.4@121 at the end of the night - it's his wife's daily driver! It was awesome overall, and I'll for sure be back, even though I put a couple of paint chips in my car from the VHT they put down around 9pm; it attracted some stones which came off my tires around 150kph or so and left some damage.

Last edited:
So jealous....I'll be reading this thread with envy :) Good show though...I love that car.

Now, before I seem elitist or something,.

You were out thrashing your car at the track. Nothing but respect here. Elitist would be pointing to it in the parking lot and spending all night telling everyone how much better it was than their shtty cars.

Awesome car but was expecting a 1:25 lap at Mosport or Mont Tremblant.

Wonder how it would stack up against the crazy 800+Demon SRT on the drag strip

You were out thrashing your car at the track. Nothing but respect here. Elitist would be pointing to it in the parking lot and spending all night telling everyone how much better it was than their shtty cars.

This.
Not once, when he has talked about his cars or bikes did he ever come off to me as boasting. I always interpreted it as pride.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

We need to hear about more guys and gals talking about their track results, bragging, boasting or just letting us know what's happening out there. Maybe then the dumb a**** would realize how totally stupid they sound when they brag about their wheelies on the 401, DVP etc. (And let them know there are alternates to being dumb a****.)

Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Gen 1.

Thanks for the comments, the trick is to keep myself from driving this thing non-stop and wearing it out before I've fully paid for it. :)

good showing,

Tesla in ludicrous mode would have spanked you though. No nitrous or loud exhausts required.

Tesla in ludicrous mode would have spanked you though. No nitrous or loud exhausts required.

Already been there for that, Tesla pulls a car length or so and then at 80mph it starts going backwards fast. That instant torque is impressive but reality is, they're heavy and rely on the batteries being at high charge for good performance. The 1/8th mile might be a good race if both cars had similar tires.

If I had better tires on my car, it wouldn't be a contest in the 1/4, though. The 911 will definitely run deep into the mid-10s. I had major grip issues; the reason that the trap speed was around 4mph lower on my 11.0x run than my 11.3x run is that I started leaving the light without using launch mode to build boost, so for maybe 15 feet I was on no boost at all and then it would come in like a hammer (as cool a feeling in its own way as launch mode), which caused a bit of wheel hop a few times as it still spun the tires. With something like Toyo R888R tires on the rear, there would be next to no tire slip at all. But I'm not even close to serious enough to swap tires to go to a test n' tune - I was just having fun, even if it was frustrating being so close to a 10 second e.t.

Last edited:
Impressive run's for sure, and glad to see your doing it at the drag strip.....

not sure if the rule is still as it was years ago, but if you broke the 10 second mark, and your vehicle did not have a chute and roll cage, you were not allowed on the track anymore ?

now I just got to get my little GLA45 AMG out to see how it does, 355hp stock with launch control should be fun, just need to see how quick it is on the strip....

It is my uninformed and ignorant opinion that the 911 is the most perfect road race car ever built. Its racing results in many different series is remarkable. The fact that it can perform well on a drag strip does not surprise me at all.

Saw one of these run at TMP a few weeks back. Black. Only got to see a few of it's runs but it was NASTY and hooked up, hard launches and was running 10's all night I believe.

I was jealous at the end of the night, seeing him leave in his car while I got covered in mayflies lol.

I'm not sure how Shannonville is, but TMP doesn't seem to have much as far as safety enforcement and regulations, they don't verify license, kill switch/tether, etc from my experience. Not sure how it is for cars and roll cages; I do see helmets on all of the quicker cars.

Back
Top Bottom