Laptop for college | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laptop for college

Guy asks what bike? gets crickets Guys asks a cpu question we are 2 pages deep and using paragraphs and linking researched pages Here my input on it ...
What bike is asked dozens and dozens of times, and it's simple to answer:
Small and inexpensive, preferably with ABS. Keep it for 4-5 year and learn to ride.
Ride in different areas, and do different types of riding.
Then when you're ready, get a bike that suits your interests.

If you want lots of posts, you ask if you should start on a 600cc SS.

If you want more posts, you state that you're a new girl rider.

This thread is in Romper Room, so it doesn't detract from motorcycle related topics in the least.
If you want more motorcycle related threads, then start them.
=========================================================

As far as laptops go, I don't know much, except that my kids' gaming laptops don't last very long.
Three years is tops, the screen or screen hinge/wiring is gone, other one the video card went in a year, and then the hard drive went in a year and a half.
Meanwhile I've got an old AMD desktop that's over 10 years old. Enterprise type, sounds like it might be a good idea.

As far as laptops go, I don't know much, except that my kids' gaming laptops don't last very long.
Three years is tops, the screen or screen hinge/wiring is gone, other one the video card went in a year, and then the hard drive went in a year and a half.
Meanwhile I've got an old AMD desktop that's over 10 years old. Enterprise type, sounds like it might be a good idea.

That is why I opted for accidental damage protection. would have bought 4 years if I could.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was leaning towards a refurb T4xx but the lack of HDMI is an issue for her. She is not tech savvy at all and doesn't want the hassle of adapters and drivers etc. She wants plug and go, either for monitor or tv. She is not a gamer, primarily social media and Netflix/youtube (and school work I hope!!). I do like the Lenovo E475 (thank you for the links and codes Markopas) but it stretches the budget as I was just informed of text book requirements, meal plan and parking pass. I may have to go another route and hope it lasts until xmas.

Things were so much simpler when I went to school.

Rated as the least repairable computers in existence and known to have tons of problems so not recommended by Consumer Reports.

For that price range I'd go used. But I also think almost any computer built in the last 10 years will do what you're asking.

The only issue I've had with heavy use every single day for the past 3 years with my pro3 is that I've had to get 2 dock replacements. I cart mine around between teaching classes, use it for note taking, dock it at home and in my office, use it for virtual whiteboard work in some Skype business communications, annotate PowerPoint slides during lectures and store a ton of stuff on it. It's been fine and the digital pen is great, it's the reason why I never bought any Mac products as primary computers. I also get a tech budget every year and can more or less buy any computer I want. I'll buy a surface book I think when I need to replace this one.

So cons...and there are some. Battery life isn't amazing but it's adequate for me. It's not a featherweight, but again it's not overly heavy either considering how powerful it is. The pro3 keyboards are terrible but a pro4 keyboard fits and is great.

Last edited:
I'm bit of a professional student. Try for the $400-500 range and be sure she backs up all her school work to whatever online email/storage system the school uses in case anything goes wrong. I5/256g is probably more than she'll need and should last through 2 tough years or a whole 3 year program if she has to buy the replacement.
Also, video adapters are the new normal so she'll either figure it out or not watch too much TV.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Here's the adapter for Lenovo display ports. $15.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0035...i+startech&dpPl=1&dpID=41Z56w28dJL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was leaning towards a refurb T4xx but the lack of HDMI is an issue for her. She is not tech savvy at all and doesn't want the hassle of adapters and drivers etc. She wants plug and go, either for monitor or tv. She is not a gamer, primarily social media and Netflix/youtube (and school work I hope!!). I do like the Lenovo E475 (thank you for the links and codes Markopas) but it stretches the budget as I was just informed of text book requirements, meal plan and parking pass. I may have to go another route and hope it lasts until xmas.

Some TV's and many monitors come with displayport natively. She may just need a displayport cable.

If you go the adaptor route, I have never seen one that required drivers, it is just plug an play (hell, tape the adaptor to an hdmi cable and you can plug your computer into any hdmi equipped display).

Some TV's and many monitors come with displayport natively. She may just need a displayport cable.

If you go the adaptor route, I have never seen one that required drivers, it is just plug an play (hell, tape the adaptor to an hdmi cable and you can plug your computer into any hdmi equipped display).
I have had the above for years. You're right, simple plug and play. Reason I got the adapter is I already have lots of Hdmi cables so easier that way. YMMV.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

VGA is dead. Lenovo (and many other laptop manufacturers) have been putting displayport or hdmi on their laptops instead of VGA. It saves them some space and makes them look more modern.

That particular adaptor is suspicious. Converting between VGA and HDMI requires active electronics as you are going analog to digital (or vice versa) and I don't see where that cable would get power for the required circuitry.

Thanks Chiller, just ordered the one you suggested as the old tough book is getting a wee bit slow for day to day work use.
While all you chip heads are here, any suggestions for a replacement os for the tough Book? Currently runs windows Xp pro, which just sucks. Running mostly browser,office,photoshop etc.
thx

btw promo codes for refurb.io
freeship Free shipping
free10 10 $ off

Win 7 runs reasonably well on older hardware
it will choke on 10

VGA is dead. Lenovo (and many other laptop manufacturers) have been putting displayport or hdmi on their laptops instead of VGA. It saves them some space and makes them look more modern. That particular adaptor is suspicious. Converting between VGA and HDMI requires active electronics as you are going analog to digital (or vice versa) and I don't see where that cable would get power for the required circuitry.
I googled the T4xx from page one which seemed to have VGA. Then again it was said to be $200. Best Buy and Canada Computers have VGA to HDMI cables, but they are more expensive. I'd go with a cable over a simple adapter as the adapters tend to bend off of the port from the weight. Once it's set up, it's plug and play.

We are now on page 3.
CLJmBN9.gif

For someone who has a cyber Drake gif ready to go, methinks thou doth protest too much

Have a massive collection of meme and GIFs for my online game trolling lol. Sometimes a picture cant say it better then words

U5Z8JRC.gif

fun times...I'm a year ahead of you..
my princess started at York last September

I caved under the pressure and ended up getting her a macbook..."its a great deal dad, comes with free headphones"

T430 has mini DisplayPort. It's literally one cable to connect it to either a TV or monitor. Pretty much the same as having HDMI but with a different cable.

Back
Top Bottom